Sub-4 Marathon Group

March 2013 (Read 56 times)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

I barely use anything but I like the Flipbelt too.  In fact, for marathons, I don't carry anything: no bottles, nothing but the gels, so a short or skirt with pockets is a must.  I just hate carrying anything.

I'm this way too- I carry nothing for marathons except a gel in shorts w/ pockets, hence my obsession with overpriced shorts that have big pockets.  I do like the flipbelt though.  I wore it during my half so I wouldn't have to check a bag.  Between inhalers, gel, extra gloves and chapstick, I looked pregnant.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Docket_Rocket

It has to do more with how many billable hours you need a year vs what you can really work.  Also, the partners (those above you) steal hours from you so they can fulfill theirs, so the lower you are, the more you'll have to work.  They hire you with a commitment of 2000 billable hours.  Out of the 8 hours you work a day, maybe 4 are billable hours, so you will need to put 4 more hours per day to make it up, etc.

My daughter was born in 1971- I have a grandson who can drive!

I have not just read about Kennedy being assassinated, I remember it.

The car in my avatar was my dream car in 1965, it makes me feel young again.

I have always wondered why hours are so long in the legal profession, it seems that's just the way things are done.

I understand everyone bills by the hour so more hours more money, but still.

Hope you are feeling better Cbus.

Happy birthday RVD!

Sprinkles, I have way more than the ones I mentioned, LOL.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Good luck!

All right Donuts...DH and I just registered for the Air Force HM in Dayton in September and the Monumental Marathon in November!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Trail Monster

Evening Donuts! The chatter about professions caught my eye! I'm not in a legal profession but I do put in a ton of hours and it's miserable! However, I'm being considered for four different promotions (finally, it only took 7 years). They are: Project Manager, Radiation Safety Officer, Level III (basically I could write procedures and revise them), or Quality Assurance Manager. I have no idea which one (or ones) I should take. I could be a PM and RSO, or Level III and RSO, or even a PM and Level III. However, I think the QA position would require full attention and full time. It would probably pay the best though. Anybody in any of these type of positions and have input?

I've done all my workouts as scheduled so far this week. I'm pretty happy with that. I'm supposed to do strength and yoga tonight. It's late so some pushups, situps, squats, and some quick stretches may have to suffice.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

onemile

I'm this way too- I carry nothing for marathons except a gel in shorts w/ pockets, hence my obsession with overpriced shorts that have big pockets.  I do like the flipbelt though.  I wore it during my half so I wouldn't have to check a bag.  Between inhalers, gel, extra gloves and chapstick, I looked pregnant.

What's your favorite brand?

Rusk Runner

Sounds good Mdawg, although I think Simon could teach us a thing or two.  Did you say you were going to Pensacola?

Happy Birthday RV!

Damaris, do they call you Imelda every now and then?

Got 5 scheduled tomorrow and 12 Saturday. Folks, I have way to much stress in my life to be in taper right now.  Gonna try to keep positive.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

I hope not.

Sounds good Mdawg, although I think Simon could teach us a thing or two.  Did you say you were going to Pensacola?

Happy Birthday RV!

Damaris, do they call you Imelda every now and then?

Got 5 scheduled tomorrow and 12 Saturday. Folks, I have way to much stress in my life to be in taper right now.  Gonna try to keep positive.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

I have pretty much converted over to the FlipBelt.  I use it for everything from gels to my radio and phone (when I carry one.)

How do the fit? In other words, do they run large, small or on the money. I read te website and the recommended sizes for waist sizes but are they true to size?

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Morning Donuts! Jedi who? Sorry I have been MIA the last week. Work has just been brutal for me, but think it took a turn for the better yesterday. Verdict still out on that. At least I am off from work today. I've been so stressed about work running has not been fun at all this week. 6 miles this am was probably the best I've felt about a run in about a week or so. More miles later with my son.LT tempo progression tomorrow, so looking forward to that.

Too much to catch-up on, but read everything.

onemile - nice job on HM

AmiK - those are nice splits on your 3x2m

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Docket_Rocket

I ordered Small or Medium and it fits exactly and glued to the body (which is how I like it).  So, my guess is that they are true to size.

How do the fit? In other words, do they run large, small or on the money. I read te website and the recommended sizes for waist sizes but are they true to size?

Morning!  I have 2 miles and weights tonight.  In court this morning, followed by work work work.  Kitty has been eating at night when it's dark and has slept in my arms for the last two nights, so she is back!  She still has not left the upstairs area, so hoping she gets back to fully normal soon.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Hi, jedi!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

onemile

Hi Jedi, hope things get better at work!

Damaris - glad Trixie is doing better!

Indi - hang in there!

I ended up taking 2 gels on my MP run last night. 1 at mile 5 and one at mile 10. It was fine.  Not sure if I need to practice beyond that.  I pinned 3 gels to my shorts and ended up with two little chafing spots but nothing that bothered me during the run - only after.  7 easy on my schedule for tonight.

I'm right there with you Indi!  Born in '65.  However, my BQ time is more manageable.

Ha, you kids!

akalei

Docket and Sprinkles: Thanks for the input.  I'm actually in a state intermediate appellate clerkship.  I've considered sticking with the government--maybe EPA or something.  I always wanted to do corporate/environmental though, so who knows.  Anyway, I'm turning down this job offer after finding out that the firm has no maternity leave policy except for me to either (a) take short term disability for 6 weeks at 60% pay or (b) save my sick days for 4 years (without taking a single sick day off, since they only give you 7 a year) to be able to have 6 weeks off.  And then I'd have to wait another 4 years to have another.  I want a family one day, even if not yet, but it's something I need to consider as much as I take into consideration how good schools are in our area when we look to buy.  It's definitely an "ol' boys" firm, about 30 attorneys, and this sort of showed that.  I know not every place offers a maternity leave, but a lot of the big firms have good policies on this, and I busted my butt to come out at the top of my class, even if at a lower tier school, and I feel like I deserve a little more.  Plus, Sprinkles, you had a good point with having certain resources available to you.  My mind goes right to an unlimited Lexis subscription because I tend to be a roundabout researcher Smile  Docket, I may be picking your mind about DOJ in the near future, too!

So back to the real stuff, I just checked out the FlipBelt and I really like the looks of it.  I have a SpiBelt, and it's nice, but it has to be arranged just so or it bounces.

RVD: Happy birthday!

Banshee: I don't know much about your line of work, but my husband used to work in QA (he's in the produce industry, and judging by the possibility of a radiation safety position, I'm guessing you aren't in that field Joking), and he didn't like it much at all.  However, I think it had more to do with the people he worked with than anything.

Indi: chin up!  Hope everything works out!

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

There are no retail outlets here in Houston for me to try the flipbelt.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27