Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

akalei

Happy New Year, Donuts!  Hope everyone had a fun, safe time yesterday.   DH and I did a single loop at the park today (3.1 mi) because I needed to get home and start making my pork and sauerkraut!

I see the sparkle skirt conversation is back!  Not a fan of the skirts personally.  I wear the same style Under Armour shorts every day when it's warm enough, though.  Definitely a creature of habit.

Sprinkles: If I was able to do Pfitz, you can do it!

Docket: You were running in shorts and a sports bra today?  I was in knee-high socks, pants, a long sleeve shirt, and a jacket on top.  And gloves.  You're making me jealous for the heat (though definitely not the humidity).

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Trail Monster

akalei - I did my run today with compression tights under long pants, a tank top under a long sleeve under a jacket, a hat and gloves! And I was still cold! Shocked

Oh well, I should go to bed. I didn't sleep well last night and for some reason I still don't feel tired now. Either my energy levels are going up from the heavier training or I'm in that vague gray area where heavy training messes with sleeping patterns. Guess I'll find out based on my performance this week!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

onemile

Good morning guys.  SRD for me.

Indiana - I will definitely write a race report.  They have a neat video of the course on their website... sped up so it only takes 5 minutes or so to see the whole thing. It looks like a very nice course.  I just hope it's flat enough for me Smile

bagopux

Hi all.  Been away for a while and for some reason I could not post from my phone anymore.  Not sure what happened there.  Anyway, I've been lurking.  Happy New Year to all.

Docket_Rocket

Cbus, Chuck Norris wouldn't have been sarcastic, you know!

akalei, don't be jealous.  I run in this crap all year long without a break.  It gets tiresome after a while.

Banshee, go to bed!

onemile, enjoy the rest.

bagopux, write a PM to eric, the owner of the website.  He'll help you.  I know that some people had some issues with the mobile ones when he upgraded the site 1-2 weeks ago, so it might be you're still having that issue and he does not know it.  His forum name is eric :-) or something like that.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

mdawg87

Good morning donuts!  Abs, biking, and stretching at the gym this morning.  The cross training saga continues.  I can't wait for Monday when I try my first run post injury.

When I get back on the roads again, I'll have to post a pic of a running route.  Suburbia at its finest!  Oh, and I finally had a donut for the first time since joining this group last year.  It was an anise donut sprinkled with turbinado sugar.  Yummy!

akalei:  Not trying to discourage you, but I'd make sure you have a really good base prior to starting Pfitz.  I wasn't ready for that intense of a training program and it bit me 5 weeks before the marathon.

Sprinkles:  Still not a fan of the sparkle skirts either.  I'm really not sure what the purpose of running skirts is period.  Maybe to provide a tad more coverage but still be cool enough in hot weather?

Banshee:  I hope you're sleeping.

Docket:  Yeah...I don't envy you dealing with the humidity all year long.  It's pretty bad here in Atlanta, but I do get a break in the winter.

cbus:  I got passed in my March HM by a guy in a full on tutu ballerina outfit.  I mean left me in the dust passed.  I heard he finished with a sub 1:30.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Today's a SRD, but I had Graston done this morning. It did not hurt as much as the last two times. When I asked if he was pushing as hard, he said "Even harder." The lack of pain means things are getting better. Yesterday I ran 8.8--the longest I've run since MRT--with no ITBS, so I think things really are getting better. Today, he dug in really deep just above the IT Band insertion point, using a tool that looked like an old fashioned can opener. It didn't hurt that much at the time, but now I'm kinda feelin' it. My next appointment is not for two weeks. And then I might be done for now (I want to ration my visits for when MRT starts back up). But thanks especially to Sprinkles for urging me to get this done. All said, it took 3 visits to run pain free again, a 4th visit will determine how well I am. The treatment was very painful, but relatively speaking. It was painful, but relatively speaking, fast-acting (it took 3 visits in 3 weeks total to get near normal).

Docket, I'm not Chuck Norris.

Happy running all!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Smashy!!!

cbus:  I got passed in my March HM by a guy in a full on tutu ballerina outfit.  I mean left me in the dust passed.  I heard he finished with a sub 1:30.

Mdawg, at TCM, I was passed by a guy who had diarrheaed himself.

onemile

Question. I have to do 12 with 6 at MP on Thursday. It's going to be like 16-17 degrees during the time I do my run. I feel like I have a hard time moving my legs properly when it gets below 20 or so and I'm really dreading it. I would LOVE to do this run at the indoor track. I know I would have no problem hitting my GMP and it would be so much more enjoyable there. But I sort of feel like I should be able to do this run outside and that running it at the indoor track won't prepare me to run the marathon. Thoughts?

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Akalei- I am pretty much sold on Pfitz at this point.  Training starts on january 15!

Banshee- Hope you get some decent sleep! I was pretty sleepless right before Philly - but I didn't even train that hard.  Maybe week 1 of Pfitz I'll already be sleepless.  Good luck!

Bago- happy new year to you too, good to see you are back

Docket- I'm hoping to use the website too to log my miles- I think it syncs with garminconnect as well, no?  I'm so sick of Dailymile and now they want to charge for use.

Mdawg- I have one running skirt from lululemon and I don't personally find it any more flattering or better than any equivalent shorts.  I guess it is cute- I hate that ruffled stuff though, and sparkle skirts just...idk, I see a lot of those bloggers running around in them like fools and, well, I'd rather be taken serious as an athlete!  I think my hatred comes from my history of figure skating- I've had enough of shiny outfits.

Cbus- happy to help and I am so glad the Graston works!  I honestly rarely get knots on my legs anymore once he got the initial ones out.  Now its just calf maintenance- it really works against most running ailments.

I am tired from all the spin "resolution rides" that my spin studio put on.  I'm ready for a long winter's nap.  Tonight I plan on doing 6 ish miles, slow, on the TM.  It's int he 20s and windy, and my back is still not 100%.  I really think it is piriformis pain at this point though, so hopefully some stretching will help.  Mostly I'm fine when I run.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Trail Monster

One mile, what is the marathon you're doing? What are the normal conditions? I would run indoors unless it is going to be cold for the marathon. No use in making it harder or not hitting paces by training in conditions you won't encounter on race day.

Question: how did you pick your training paces? I put my 5k time into McMillan and the results are downright scary! I can't hit the paces it says I should and I know it. So I wrote down the interval times for 200m - 1600m because I think I could hit those. Then I input my HM time trial in and those paces look much better:

Recovery: 11:06 - 11:57

Long: 10:09 - 11:23

Easy: 10:06 - 11:00

Steady: 9:25 - 9:52

Tempo: 9:07 - 9:22

My last two long runs were 15 at 10:01 and 17 at 10:34 (the 15 I ran with a faster group of friends) so I think these pace ranges are good and I can probably run at the faster end of them until I run a tune up race for Shamrock. I'll do speed work based on my 5k pace and see how that works out. Does this seem like a good plan or would you suggest a different method of working out pace ranges?

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

akalei

Morning, all!

Mdawg: No discouragement.  I must have worded my post wrong.  I've already gone through Pfitz, started with a base of 30-35 MPW and was able to get through it and felt much better prepared for marathon #2 than I did for the first (SmartCoach... what a mistake that was!).  I was just trying to say that, since I know Sprinkles has said she's been around 30 or so MPW on avreage, I think she's ready for it, because I was in the same position.  As to the skirts, I agree with you!  I feel like the chafing would be awful.  I think I'd only consider wearing a sparkle skirt or whatever over shorts if I were running something like the Princess half.

cbus: Glad to hear the ITBS seems to be getting better! (knocks on wood)

Probably a quasi-SRD today because I have to teach CCD tonight.  I'm ready for that to be over.

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Smashy!!!

Onemile, I don't think one training run really matters. Do what you gotta do to do the workout the way you gotta do it.

Akalei, what's CCD? (I almost thought you said you have to teach an OCD class, as in "how to be.")

Banshee, if you feel those are reasonable paces, then that sounds like a great plan. Personally, this time around, since I'm doing Hansons, I'm gonna base it on my GMP. In the past, I've just done things by feel, since I find McMillan paces very unusable.

onemile

Banshee - I'm doing the Carmel Marathon in April.  It's mostly flat and should be decent temperatures.  I'm using Hansons paces for training which pretty much align with McMillian except for easy runs they suggest 1-2 minutes per mile slower than GMP, which is a little slower than McMillian's easy paces.  I try not to worry if my easy runs are SLOWER than McMillian suggests as long as I can hit the speedwork paces (what matters).

Docket_Rocket

onemile, I've heard tracks tend to be hard on your ITB and knees (because of the constant turning).  Make sure to rotate sides from time to time. I would do the run outside but if you feel like the quality might be affected, do it inside.  I've done MP runs on the TM because outside is too hot and humid to hit the pace.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page