Sub-4 Marathon Group

Saginaw 5k (Read 14 times)

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Never got around to posting this here:

Saginaw 5k RR

Just a short RR on my 5k today. I originally had this planned on my schedule, but a dance competition for my daughter nixed it last week. Competition got cancelled last minute this week and Fri nite I decided I was going to race this as originally planned for no other reason it would be a good early test for me with all the quality I've been doing lately with my Daniels plan. I thought maybe a sub20 might be possible but being realistic a 47sec 5k PR is a tall order especially with no mini taper this week. As long as I could run something close to my PR that was fine by me. I was familiar with course as I ran this same race 2yrs back.

Race about an hour away so left myself plenty of time to get there. Arrived at race and registered, pinned my bib, etc. Found out they changed course at last minute which was not a big deal as original course has nice little hill to start but flat. This course on a flat straightaway out and back along the river. Ran my warm-up and could tell race was going to be fast as i was hitting low 8s at times without much effort.

Race started and we were off. I started near front and went out fast hitting sub6s for first part before settling into 6:10-6:20 pace. Lot of runners passing me and that first mile was tough but holding my own. Mile 1 in at 6:20. 2nd mile settled into a good pace with turnaround 1.5m and just kept moving. Mile 2 in at 6:41. Lot of those runners that passed me in that first mile I gradually caught up to and picked them off. Good feeling when that happens in a race. Mile 3 in at 6:46. That last .1 a bit tricky as it had a sharp right turn and went under short tunnel and then a sharp left to finish. That slowed me down that last .1 at 6:54. Can't complain as course had no turns except for that part. Crossed finish in 20:14 and was thrilled. Good way to start off my year with a PR. No results posted yet to see where I placed in AG yet.

Really happy with result. Raced a bit better than I thought. Good to see the hard work paying off even at only 2+ weeks of hardcore quality. I'm confident a sub20 will happen later this year. Gets me excited where I'll be in May for my goal HM in Frederick. Best part of result is I reset my VDOT and bumped it up a notch to 49. Bottom-line is this spring is all about improving my fitness and think I got that off to a good start. Do work. Get Faster!Smile

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

nachosgrande

Nice race and report, Jedi!  You are one fast donut.

onemile

Very cool way to start the year indeed. Congrats on the new PR!

Docket_Rocket

Great job, jedi!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Smashy!!!

Nice job Jedi. 5Ks terrify me. I feel like I'd want to throw up the whole time.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Nice!

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Ball of Fury

Very nice Jedi!  You are super speedy!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Good run, I agree you will break 20 this year.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Thanks for the comments all.

cbus - this was probably the best run 5k to date for me. Not saying because it was my fastest one, but miles 2 & 3 the closest in regards to pace and very happy about that.

AmiK - I'm getting there.Smile

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???