Sub-4 Marathon Group

What's Cookin' (Read 232 times)

White Lightning

This thread is about all things food be it the healthy vegan's or the double chocolate milkshake, anything goes

My first addition is my post run shake.  I run right before its lunch time so this acts kind of as both post run and the beginning to lunch.  Throw everything in the blender with some water and blend for a minute or so.  I usually eat a salad about an hour after this shake.

Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Chol
    Kirkland Signaturte (Costco - Frozen Mixed Berries, 1 cup 140 34 0 2 6 0
    Kaizen - Whey Protein Isolate Powder Vanilla, 1 scoop 40g 150 1 0 35 1 10
    Big Valley - Frozen Mixed Fruit, 1 cup 80 19 0 1 6 0
    Hulled Hemp Seeds (1 tbsp) 64 1 5 4 1 0
    Chia Seeds, 2 tbsp 60 6 5 3 5 0
      494 61 10 45 19 10
        49% 18% 36%    

Play the Game Hard!

Docket_Rocket

I have a good quinoa recipe.  Greek Quinoa with Avocados:

• Cook quinoa (I cook it with vegetable stock)
      • Mix feta cheese, tomatoes, avocados, spinach and red onion.  Make the "dressing" by combining extra virgin olive oil (I use avocado oil for this) and lemon juice (same ratio), salt and pepper.  Combine the quinoa with the ingredients, add the dressing and combine.  Enjoy.  I like it hot but it can be made cold (it is a salad after all).  Great pre-long run meal.

Original recipe here:

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/quick-recipes/dinner/7-fat-fighting-dinners/?page=7

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

And this is one of my favorite vegetarian comfort foods.  You can serve it over brown rice, potatoes, quinoa, basically anything:

http://www.theplanteater.com/2012/03/13/mediterranean-tuna-salad/

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

White Lightning

My everyday hot cereal in the morning.  I make my own cereal mix but you can use whatever you like, I used to use steel cut oats, I like this better.

Cook your cereal/oats to the directions on the box.  When ready add a bit of water and add the rest of the ingredients.  Season with salt and pepper and whatever else you like, sugar, cinnamon, I like blackening seasoning, really wakes up the oatmeal and I like more savory foods.  I usually eat two eggs to go along but its already got the right amount of runner's protien, good fats and lots of good complex carbs.

Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Chol
          Chia Seeds – 2 tbsp 60 6 5 3 5 0
          Hulled Hemp Seeds – 2 tbsp 129 3 10 7 2 0
          Raisins – Seedless – 1/4 cup 120 32 0 1 1 0
          12 Grain Cereal Mix – 1/3 cup 252 46 4 11 8 0
          Ground Golden Flax Seeds - 1 Tbsp 50 2 4 2 2 0
            611 89 23 24 18 0

Play the Game Hard!

akalei

Here's the link to the sweet potato and black bean enchilada recipe I mentioned on the other board.  I've made it several times now and it's always delicious.  Also, to save time, I don't roll up the enchiladas; just layer it like lasagna--it tastes the same and works much better for me because I use brown rice tortillas, which have a tendency to break when you roll them if they're not warm enough!

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/black-bean-sweet-potato-enchiladas-00100000064281/index.html

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Oh yay!  These are my FAVORITE cookies to make : Nutella cookies w/ seasalt sprinkles

I used Dark Choc Dreams PB last time, and have also used a combination of unsweetened cocoa or carob powder and peanut butter to achieve basically the same effect but have it be less sweet.  I use Earth balance butter and sub applesauce for the eggs.   They taste awesome, even w/ the healthified version.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

a quick and easy recipe i use for a weekend lunch or late dinner after runs :

1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper

1/2 carrot chopped

one medium stalk of celery, chopped

very little chopped onion

pressed garlic

olive oil, enough to coat the pan

sweat until peppers and carrots are bright and not to tender. It usually takes at least 7 or 8 minutes over medium heat

add one can of canned salmon (i guess canned tuna would work but i cant stand the taste of it), a squirt of olive oiul, sea salt and pepper to taste.3-4 minutes stirring occassionally.

I add a little grated manchego cheese (because i am a cheese addict).

toasted pita or by itself.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Here's the link to the sweet potato and black bean enchilada recipe I mentioned on the other board.  I've made it several times now and it's always delicious.  Also, to save time, I don't roll up the enchiladas; just layer it like lasagna--it tastes the same and works much better for me because I use brown rice tortillas, which have a tendency to break when you roll them if they're not warm enough!

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/black-bean-sweet-potato-enchiladas-00100000064281/index.html

i am trying this one for sure.

White Lightning

yeah the sweet potato's peaked my interest. Bought everything today and trying on Sunday night with corn tortillas but thinking of making an individual lasagne style in ramekins and freezing them

Play the Game Hard!

akalei

Roll and josh: let me know how you like it!

i made refried beans in the crock pot yesterday and put those into an enchilada casserole (I swear enchiladas aren't the only thing I eat!).  Beans were super easy:

2 c dry pinto beans, rinsed off

1 onion, peeled and halved

1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 tsp sea salt

big pinch of pepper and cucumin

6 c water

just throw it all in the crockpot on high for 8 hours, then remove the big chunks of onion that are left and mash it with a potato masher. I was really happy with how good these were, and they freeze nicely!

ps. My iPad is acting weird and made all sorts of crazy typos on me with auto correct. I think I caught everything, but in case I didn't, sorry!

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

My wife is researching a "cleanse". Any of my donut peeps have any recommendations?

Trail Monster

I wrote all these down! I'm going to add ingredients to the shopping list for today's grocery trip! I made a healthy protein-packed version of oatmeal cookies last night that turned out okay. They aren't as sweet or soft as store bought processed cookies but they make a good substitute. I'll come back and edit this post with the recipe as soon as I get back from the store. Smile

Peanut Butter Banana Oat Cookies

2 ripe bananas, mashed

1/3 cup peanut butter

2/3 cup applesauce

1 scoop protein powder (vanilla) * optional

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1 1/2 cup rolled oats or instant oatmeal

1/4 cup chopped nuts

1/4 cup chocolate chips *optional

Preheat oven to 350*F. Mix banana mash and peanut butter until combined. Add applesauce, protein powder and vanilla extract. Mix until thoroughly combined. Add in oatmeal and nuts and mix. Add chocolate chips. Let dough rest 10 minutes. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto parchment covered cookie sheet and then flatten. Bake 20-30 minutes, cool 5 minutes. Store in an airtight container.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

DetroitTigerFan

Joshlynn - great idea to have a post on food ! so for your post run shake what is the theory - is it that protein is better after the run (for muscle repair) and carbs are better before the run

Also, can i also pose a question in the spirit of this forum- what food does everyone like before their long runs ?

i like a banana or for a really long run - bagel with peanut butter

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

White Lightning

DTF - All I read is you want a 3-1 to 4-1 carb to protein ratio post run.  Mine isn't quite that but I eat dates during most of my runs which are straight sugary carbs so once I calculate that in I'm right in the range.  I recover much better now, I mean not even close compared to when I was using gatorade, gels and cliff bars.

Pre-run I eat the hot cereal above, 2 eggs and a pot of coffee (working on cutting that down) but I need about three hours after I eat or I'm running with it in my throat.  When I run first thing I'll just eat some toast and jam but I'm not a morning runner

Roll - No idea on the cleanseing, i don't quite understand it.  I have a good friend who does a juice cleanse twice a year.  She loses a bunch of weight during the cleanse and two weeks later she's right back to the same weight.

Forgot to soak my beans last night so need to wait on my enchilada's for tomorrow :-(

Play the Game Hard!

Trail Monster

My second experiment with oatmeal tonight was a success.

Baked Oatmeal Casserole

2 cup rolled oats

1/3 cup brown sugar

1 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp. salt

1 cup walnut pieces

1 cup berries

2 cup milk

1 large egg

1 ripe banana

3 tbsp butter, melted

1 tbsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375*F. Grease 10 x 7" baking dish and place on baking sheet. In large bowl mix oats, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, half of the nuts and half of the berries. In another bowl whisk milk, egg, butter, and vanilla extract. Put oat mixture in the baking dish and spread evenly. Top with berries, sliced banana, and nuts. Pour milk mixture over and gently shake to settle. Bake 35-40 minutes. Sprinkle with brown sugar before eating.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop