Sub-4 Marathon Group

February 2013 (Read 64 times)

Trail Monster

Lots of good insights here. Nothing really to add.

Yoga this morning. Tried a more advanced DVD and couldn't do some of the poses. Not sure if I like being challenged with it or if I want to go back to the beginner yoga and feel like a pro. 6.5 miles at 11:18 average tonight using 9:1 run/walk and freezing my ass off in 'feels like' 3 degrees Fahrenheit. Going to follow it up with some core work/strength since I have a rest day tomorrow.

Question: When you have a long run scheduled for a day when the weather is going to be crap do you just dress for it and suck it up? Do you reschedule or cut it short? I've got 20 miles scheduled for Sunday and were going to be under a winter storm advisory/watch most of the weekend. Since I nearly froze my bits off tonight I'm worried Sunday is going to be downright miserable and possibly dangerous.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Docket_Rocket

I did a 20 miler in the upcoming path of a hurricane, so suck it up and get dressed.

Yoga this morning. Tried a more advanced DVD and couldn't do some of the poses. Not sure if I like being challenged with it or if I want to go back to the beginner yoga and feel like a pro. 6.5 miles at 11:18 average tonight using 9:1 run/walk and freezing my ass off in 'feels like' 3 degrees Fahrenheit. Going to follow it up with some core work/strength since I have a rest day tomorrow.

Question: When you have a long run scheduled for a day when the weather is going to be crap do you just dress for it and suck it up? Do you reschedule or cut it short? I've got 20 miles scheduled for Sunday and were going to be under a winter storm advisory/watch most of the weekend. Since I nearly froze my bits off tonight I'm worried Sunday is going to be downright miserable and possibly dangerous.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Dreamn

Good grief, this thread had 8 replies when I originally went to read it and now it's up to 6 pages.  I figured I'd start anew and rejoin the conversation for February.  Ran 5 today, long-ish run tomorrow, 6 weeks until Shamrock and I hardly feel PR ready.

White Lightning

From the advice of my local running group who don't believe in TM's, i've started keeping a couple of replacement middle layers at my car and change out at the hour when I pass by, takes about 20 seconds.  Makes for a much more comfortable run, I just can't stay dry no matter how I layer

Play the Game Hard!

mdawg87

Good grief!  I just spent 30 minutes reading the last of January and all the posts in this thread.  Granted, I did get interrupted, but, WOW we're a chatty February bunch.  I like it.  Such great food for thought on GMP, training styles, etc.

Banshee:  I agree with Docket except with one caveat.  If it's dangerous, I'd switch it around somehow.  I had to do that because of work with an 18 miler and 20 miler.  Ended up running them 3 days apart in the heat of summer.  It sucked, but I got it done.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

onemile

I try to always run what's on my schedule.  That said, I would switch days say if the weather was nicer on Saturday do my LR then instead of Sunday.  Otherwise I would just suck it up and do it.  Dress properly for it or maybe do part outside and part on the treadmill if you can (I've done that before).

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

QOTD: I'll switch Saturday to Sunday but only if there's a huge difference in weather, i.e. Hurricane Sandy on Sunday night and beautiful sunny weather on Saturday.  Ice storms are a definite exception for me...I hate running on ice.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Smashy!!!

Qotd: I tend to stick to the schedule, unless there is something really dangerous like windstorms blowing down power lines. Last cycle, I did an 18 miler in a downpour, and I had epic, and I mean EPIC, inner thigh chafing from about mid run to the following Tuesday! (Damn you Zeus for giving me thunder thighs!)

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

cmb4314

I have moved my LR a few times.  A few weeks ago, Saturday was scheduled to be 35 and sunny.  Sunday was supposed to be 5, cloudy, and windy.  So I ran it Saturday.

The weather was in the forecast pretty early in the week, so I made the decision early and ended up adjusting the week a little bit such that I was rested closer to the level that Pfitz intended.  I probably wouldn't have even done that normally, but the LR I moved was a long MP run so I didn't want to slow it down for tired legs.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

braycon

I totally believe in treadmills.  They're very real.  Boring as hell, but real.

I seriously hate cold weather, so wind chills below say 25 degrees...I'm probably inside.  And I never do lightning.  Anything else...100 degree temps, 50 MPH winds, hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, Presidential Elections...I'm outside.

If treadmills aren't possible, I'd probably switch days around or just do the very best you can.  Good luck!

Trail Monster

So what do I wear for 20 miles in 26* (for the high) with 14 MPH winds when I will be near a large body of water and have no cover? I wore tights, tank top with arm warmers under a long sleeve, a heavier jacket, a face mask, hat and gloves for a little over an hour tonight and thought I was getting frostbite. Double up on gloves? Add a second pair of tights? Add another shirt? It really doesn't matter which day I run because both will be bad. They're calling for a 'feels like' of -1* F for 8am tomorrow. I wish I knew of an indoor track nearby. I have no idea how I'm going to survive this. And yes, I'm being a baby and I don't care. When it takes a week's worth of laundry to do one run I start to question my sanity.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

cmb4314

So what do I wear for 20 miles in 26* (for the high) with 14 MPH winds when I will be near a large body of water and have no cover? I wore tights, tank top with arm warmers under a long sleeve, a heavier jacket, a face mask, hat and gloves for a little over an hour tonight and thought I was getting frostbite. Double up on gloves? Add a second pair of tights? Add another shirt? It really doesn't matter which day I run because both will be bad. They're calling for a 'feels like' of -1* F for 8am tomorrow. I wish I knew of an indoor track nearby. I have no idea how I'm going to survive this. And yes, I'm being a baby and I don't care. When it takes a week's worth of laundry to do one run I start to question my sanity.

Sunday, I'm scheduled for 20 miles in 5-15 degrees, with wind chills down to -8.  I'm in the same boat, where Saturday isn't any better than Sunday.  At least here, there is supposed to be some intermittent sun on Sunday which might help with the cold.

I will probably be wearing tights with wind pants overtop, cold gear shirt with windproof jacket, ear warmer with hat on top (I have VERY sensitive inner ears so I double up on ear coverings), and double layered mittens (fleece inside, windproof outside).  Depending on what the weather actually is when I wake up that morning, I might throw my Under Armour sweatshirt on top of the whole ensemble, simply because everything else is fitted and it's looser and can go on top.  We're going to the LRS tomorrow since my husband needs new shoes, so I might buy a balaclava even though I HATE the way it feels to wear a scarf or something over my mouth.  This will be the longest, coldest run I've had to do so I will probably have to cover my poor face.

Windproofing is the key.  I can wear 3 pairs of gloves and have handsicles the whole run, or I can wear one pair of fleece mittens with a windproof shell layer, and be warm.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

White Lightning

Banshee, I might not be great with pacing advice, but i'm getting very good with dressing for the cold weather.  I no longer go out, as I think it was nacho's who said, looking like the kid from A Christmas Story.  The top is three layers.  First is moister wicking, second is for warmth and third is for wind.  First and third layers are always the same below 32F and I switch out the middle layer depending on the temperature.

26F with wind I have a long sleeve wicking shirt for first layer to get the moister off of my skin, fleece/wool t-shirt or long sleeve shirt for warmth in the middle and my wind breaking running jacket on the outside.  Good pair of wind breaking gloves and a good beanie or bacalava if the wind is really bad.  The bottoms I just wear a good running tight that's rated at 32F.  I'm good until 10-15F with this setup.

Colder I switch to a running pant instead of tights, or a pair of wind breaking pants over my regular tights, switch to wool socks and wear a beefier middle layer, usually the liner from my regular winter jacket, that thing is really warm, or I have a really good wool sweater.  Easily go down to -15 ish with just the three layers, that middle layer dictates how warm you are going to be.  -15F I add long john's under the running pant.  I really like those wool/fleece fingerless gloves with mittens that flip over.  I can go to -30F with those things (used to pump gas as a kid) and they stay dry.  Also my running jacket has a hood that I wear over my beanie, or it has a built in bacalava as well it needed.

My newest trick though is changing out that middle layer halfway through the run to a new dry shirt unless i'm wearing wool, not needed then, works wonders.  You should start off cold for 20 minutes until you warm up.  If you don't warm up, then you need to beef up the middle layer.  If you are warm when you take your first step, you've dressed too warm and you'll be soaking wet and actually get colder by the end.  Keep the skin dry and block the wind.

Play the Game Hard!

nachosgrande

It's supposed to be in the mid 50's when i run in the morning....brrr...not sure how to layer for that one.  Big grin

only took 19 hours for my goruns to arrive.  i love amazon prime.  and the shoes rock, especially given the $27 pricetag.  going to take them for a 5 mile test drive.

Rusk Runner

Excellent advise from Josh and cmb!  Mittens are probably key for you Banshee, as it seems gloves dont do the trick.  I do the layering like Josh says and it has worked for me in single digits at 20 miles.  I had ice hanging from me on the outside, but I was toasty under the clothes. I think the main trick to layering is the skin tight first layer and a looser outer layering to capture heat.  In the single digits my middle layer is just a long sleeve drifit t-shirt from a race.  For the temps you are talking about, I would imagine some windproof pants over your tights would work wonders.  They can be had at walmart for less than 20 dollars.

Nachos -  How did the test drive go.

Road conditions here are poor and we are getting snow again.  Not sure if todays 6 (at work) will be on the road or at the gym.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!