Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Banshee- Graston was fine- a little painful but no big deal and not sore after.  I'm maintaining and have been going to Graston for a year now, so I don't have many issues.

Onemile/Banshee- nice intervals!  I looked at Hansons, and I opted for Pfitz 18/55 on the grounds that Pfitz is easier in terms of the schedule and pacing.

AmiK and Docket- Good luck !

Me: 45 minutes spin today.  I am SO tired today - I seem to go through phases with this tiredness.  Time to take iron supplements and B12!  Time to run tomorrow.  Goal this week is to run 8 tomorrow and then my prescribed workout on  Thursday (whatever that is through the team).  I'll do like 4 recovery on Friday and Saturday and then do a 10 mile race on Sunday.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Canuck

Evening all.  You're a chatty bunch today so I'm not going to try and cover the last three pages here. I had several meetings at work today, so not as much computer time.  Did my first speed workout today, 12 x 400.  Ran it on the treadmill as I don't have access to a proper track (the one two blocks from my house is unfortunately a dirt track so is full of puddles this time of year (and potholes)).  Did the 400s at 7:24 pace and the recoveries nice and slow.  It was hard, but the hardest part was the mental challenge as 12 is a lot of intervals - when you're running the 4th one and realizing you still have 8 left, it's somewhat daunting.

Hi Jedi!

I haven't had an issue picking a goal pace for Hansons since my main goal is to get the 3:40 to BQ, so that's what I'm going with (even if it is ambitious). We'll see how it feels when I start doing my MP runs.

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

Docket_Rocket

I read this as well.  You can see the first 2-3 weeks being light and then the plan goes BAM.

I will add that in the book they say that if the first base building weeks are lower than what you normally do, then do what you would normally do. My plan is to do the Beginner's plan and run 40ish miles during that base building period.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

White Lightning

Cbus - I'm doing the same thing, should hit 40 this and next week.  Week 1 starts on the 21st and will back off to 35 ish and go from there with the beginner.  Right now my pacing is showing I can give 9:00 a shot for the MP and see how it goes.  I had a great 5 mile tempo at 9:00 last Thursday that was much easier than I thought it would be, once I got the legs moving everything felt really good.  Will try to hold it there, then I have a half planned the same week strength starts and will re-adjust if I haven't already.  Now, I've been running a tempo the last three weeks between 3-5 miles to get ready.  Should I continue when the plan starts? or wait the first 6 weeks like it says?  My idea was to build up to the 6 miles it calls for when the tempo's start.

Banshee - I ran my first HM with only 8 weeks of running, ever, had no business running that race.  Wrong shoes caused a blister the size of a golf ball, foot all bloody at the end, think my longest run was 5 or 6 miles, I was an idiot.  I look back and think of it as a punishment for being so stupidly over weight, I suffered through and ran a 2:10.  Running a decent time (at least in my head) without training and being 50 pounds over weight is what pushed me to keep racing, knowing I could do so much better.  I'm 90% certain if I ran it and trained properly, I wouldn't be running like I am today.  I look at it as a complete failure and I don't fail, so it continues...

Sprinkles - How do they come up with the number?  Any testing or is it like the online guides?  I guestimate that i'm 1800 ish calories but would love to know for sure.  My sister works at the local fitness club here and they do Lactate Threshold and VO2 Max testing and said she can get me in for $50, could be pretty interesting.

Play the Game Hard!

Smashy!!!

Josh, if it were me, I'd just keep doing that 3-5 mi tempo. But I probably wouldn't add anything to it. As I see it, you don't want to spend everything you have in the first 2-3 weeks of a plan. Rather, you want to build as you go along. But I think your plan for pacing sounds good. Out of curiosity, how did you come up with 9:00? Is that based of a race?

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

White Lightning

<shrugs> it feels good right now, and that's with full winter gear going on.  plus as much as you don't want to hear it, my HR has been consistently low the last month.  maybe ill go run a 10 k time trial tomorrow and see where i'm at, supposed to be 46 f tomorrow

Play the Game Hard!

mdawg87

USRD for me.  My achilles was singing at me by the end of yesterday's work day.  I stupidly wore my normal high heels to the office and aggravated everything further.  Unfortunately, besides running shoes, all I have are high heels.  You can guess what I'm wearing today.  Yep, my pink Sauconys with lime green accents.  I did at least color coordinate my suit with a pink shirt.

Got an appointment with the sports doc today at 4:30 pm.  Hopefully, he can get to the root cause of all this.  I'm sure it's related to my tight calves.

My goal pace for the spring marathon I had to abandon was based on previous times and the goal time I wanted to achieve.  Luckily, they all lined up pretty well.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Rusk Runner

Sprinkles - Do you attribute those old "normal" eating habits to your early career on the ice? Just curious, not trying to pry. You wouldnt mind sharing your training and goal times with me would you? I did not find that Pfitz pacing was easier, just that it was easier to rest and recover from the runs at higher paces. I am running some fairly aggressive paces this time through but my body is adapting well.

Josh - If that kind of opportunity presented itself, I would have already had that testing done more than once. When do you plan to get the tests done?

Mdawg - Glad I never have to make choices about heels.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Trail Monster

Sprinkles, good to know the Graston gets better after awhile.

Zoe, nice repeats. Why so many?

Joshlynn, if you had trained properly don't you think you would have felt pride plus felt invested in running since it would have taken a much longer time?

mdawg, hope its nothing major!

Scheduled for 90 minutes easy today. Also got called into work today so it will be fun to fit everything in. I usually do my easy runs on the trail but unless I want to run in the dark it looks like I will be on the TM again.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

onemile

Morning guys.  SRD for me and I need it.

Sprinkles - Thanks.  I haven't tried Pfitz so it's hard to say if it's easier but I think Hansons tends to have more moderate length runs / workouts and Pfitz has more rest/short recovery stuff to balance out the longer stuff.  I sort of wish I had that extra rest/recovery time!  Hope you feel better.

zoe - that's a good way to pick your goal.  My BQ time is 3:35 so too out of reach for me to even consider it.  I look forward to seeing what you think of Hansons as you get further in the plan.

mdawg - hope your sports doc can help!

Banshee - enjoy the 90 minutes easy!

Docket_Rocket

Morning, guys.  4-5 recovery miles for me later.

Interesting discussion.  I'm sorry I have been unable to participate as fully but I have court every day.  I know I wanted my judge back and I am happy he is back but damn!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

SRD today. And a good day to have one, as it is a very dreary day in Central OH.

Josh, this is just my opinion, but I would run a race rather than a time trial. Not because I think I would run a race harder, but actually I think time trials are deceptively fast. There are issues with course measurement, and intermittent stops (e.g. stop lights, etc.) that allow recovery in ways that are not available in a race. But whatever you do, I think one component of choosing your GMP must be a race time. I know we've been talking a lot about the ability to go through the training cycle at GMP, but I think that is only one ingredient of the mixture. The other is that recent race PR. Because even though you are able to complete a 10 mile tempo @ X time, that's still a long way from 26.2 @ X time.

Mdawg, is that the sport doc who also does Graston? Re work shoes, are heels mandatory? If not, I think Clark, Merrell, and Bjorn all make great looking orthopedic work shoes.

Onemile/Sprinkles, +1 to what Onemile said. I will also add that Hansons emphasizes active recovery, so they expect you to recover during your Easy run days. Pfitz also has active recovery, but until you get to 18/70, he still gives you that extra day off.

Indi, I'm very confident you will BQ this cycle. That said, if Pfitz works so well for you, why switch to Hansons at all for the fall? Is it just to experiment?

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

zoe - nice job on the 12x400s. Very interested in watching your training with Hanson method. My BQ time is 3:15 and not ready for that, but with no marathon until fall that might change when it come time for me to start Hanson this summer. Spending this spring working on my speed at shorter distances with emphasis on the half. using 24wk Daniels 5k-15k with HM in March and May and some short races along the way. I say sub3;30 for now, but think that goal will change for sure. Finally decided on Philly as my fall marathon and really looking forward to it.

10.1m for me today with 10x400 which i did on TM. i ran to and from gym for warm-up and cool-down as i live 2m from gym. Most 400s I've done at one clip. It was mentally challenging at times but once you get 5x in it's all downhill. TM really helped me keep my restintervals slow which is my problem when I do on track.

Evening all.  You're a chatty bunch today so I'm not going to try and cover the last three pages here. I had several meetings at work today, so not as much computer time.  Did my first speed workout today, 12 x 400.  Ran it on the treadmill as I don't have access to a proper track (the one two blocks from my house is unfortunately a dirt track so is full of puddles this time of year (and potholes)).  Did the 400s at 7:24 pace and the recoveries nice and slow.  It was hard, but the hardest part was the mental challenge as 12 is a lot of intervals - when you're running the 4th one and realizing you still have 8 left, it's somewhat daunting.

Hi Jedi!

I haven't had an issue picking a goal pace for Hansons since my main goal is to get the 3:40 to BQ, so that's what I'm going with (even if it is ambitious). We'll see how it feels when I start doing my MP runs.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Rusk Runner

Cbus - I have no intentions of attempting a BQ this cycle.  I dont feel that I am ready for it.  I put a huge amount of thought into what program I would use this cycle and next.  I think the Hansons will meet the specific needs for my Fall BQ attempt.  I just have to hope that my decision is correct.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Smashy!!!

Cbus - I have no intentions of attempting a BQ this cycle.  I dont feel that I am ready for it.  I put a huge amount of thought into what program I would use this cycle and next.  I think the Hansons will meet the specific needs for my Fall BQ attempt.  I just have to hope that my decision is correct.

What is your BQ time? (For some reason I thought it was 3:40.)