Sub-4 Marathon Group

August 2013 (Read 41 times)

White Lightning

DTF - I think this is an absolute must read for anyone trying to crank out a marathon.  It will give you tons of info on anything nutrition and training for anything long distance.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Rules-Marathon-Half-Marathon-Nutrition/dp/0738216453/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376504877&sr=8-1&keywords=marathon+matt+fitzgerald

Play the Game Hard!

DetroitTigerFan

thanks all for your feedback. It sounds like my issue in the past has been more fitness / upper conditioning. Like I said, it hit me at mile 20 in my first race and mile 23 last year, where I had to transition to run/walk, but the legs felt really good.  As this is my third time, i hope i see a favorable trend in this with my endurance.   Do any of you have any thoughts on how i may be able to deal with this issue / improve upper body strength ?

josh - thanks - i'll check out the link

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Rusk Runner

I will have to get back with you on that on DTF.

7.30 miles w/ 5x400 @ 6:20, 6:21, 6:09, 6:19, 6:08.  Too long rest periods of 1:40.  I will need to reprogram my watch.  I was expecting to run those intervals slower than that and when I was finished I felt like it was way too easy.

I dont want to push much harder as I am still worried about re-injuring my calf.  But I am going to need to push harder sometime in the next few weeks.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

onemile

7.30 miles w/ 5x400 @ 6:20, 6:21, 6:09, 6:19, 6:08.  Too long rest periods of 1:40.  I will need to reprogram my watch.  I was expecting to run those intervals slower than that and when I was finished I felt like it was way too easy.

Woah, nice paces there.

Rusk Runner

onemile - Thanks!  5 recovery miles done @ 9:18 avg.  Soooo beautiful out at 3:30 AM, 50 degrees.

Just Run!!!

mdawg87

Good morning!  12 with 10 at MP.  MP miles were 8:14, 8:12, 8:16, 8:24, 8:17, 8:16, 8:29, 8:29, 8:18, and 8:21.  69 degrees, overcast, and a light breeze.  Very comfortable running conditions.

Josh, you are killing it with the paces.  Your speed has really come around!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Took yesterday off due to the asthma and I am glad as my 11 miler this morning went really well.

Have a great day!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

RVD, thanks for the link.  I will definitely check that out.

DTF - I've had the opposite experience with both my marathons.  My breathing is totally fine for the whole 26.2, but my legs start cramping up around mile 21.

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)

DetroitTigerFan

onemile - Thanks!  5 recovery miles done @ 9:18 avg.  Soooo beautiful out at 3:30 AM, 50 degrees.

Indy - so, you finished your run at 3:30 am ?  so, back out an hour of running and perhaps 15-30 minutes to prep out of bed, did you wake up at 2 am for your run? lol-  i'm impressed. Although you've opened my eyes this year to running in early am - both very beautiful and a little scary too Smile

Paula - I've used hammer endurolyte pills in hot weather and usually like 1 or 2 on race day and haven't had any cramping issues. It's just weird to me that my lungs get tired at that time. I have to walk a little and then can run it out. My stats so far:

• Last year I averaged 9:06 through 23 miles before I ran/walk. My last 3 miles were 10:30, 12:27 and 11:00 (Pfitz 18/55)
                    • The year before, I averaged 9:27 through 19 miles before I ran/walk. My last 7 miles averaged were 10:54 (Galloway)

So, I guess i'm improving in some viewpoint. The question is will my Pfitz plan carry over into this year to tough out those last 3 miles ?

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

DTF: I also have to add that I think weather / increased humidity can bring on the wall much faster.  I have always fueled well and paced conservatively, but changed weather can really do me in.  That's the lesson I've learned.  I don't know if pacing more conservatively woudl have helped me, but I know I am not going to use a pace group in my goal race this year because even pacing doesn't work as well for me as picking it up later in the race, with some fuel left in the tank.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Rusk Runner

DTF - No, no.  I usually hit the road between 3:00 and 3:30 depending on how far I need to run.  A 3:20 start is good for 7 or 8 miles and I have time to shower, grab a quick breakfast, and get ready for work before 5:10.

Are your long run paces generally 90 sec or so slower than MP?  If so, I would say you need to pick up the pace later in the run and get your body working harder.  Also, make sure you are doing your LT runs at a pace that is giving your body the appropriate stress level.  It sounds to me like both an aerobic fitness and mental issue.  Both of which can be cured with properly stressing yourself during training.

Sprinkles - I agree with you on pace groups although I wish I had paced myself better during my last race.  I believe some of us are just better off when putting the responsibility of our performance on ourselves.

SRD for running today.  Will be going out for about 20 to 30 on the bicycle later this afternoon.

Just Run!!!

mdawg87

Good morning!  Rainy day in the ATL.  I may be running my last 16 miler in the rain on Sunday.  Oh well, better then than on race day.  Anyway, strength training, 6 easy TM miles, and stretching at the gym this morning.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Those types of reactions are not the wall, just lack of proper fueling.  The wall is only affected by how fast you started due to the conditions.  So, yes, weather only affects when the runner starts out too fast for the weather.

DTF: I also have to add that I think weather / increased humidity can bring on the wall much faster.  I have always fueled well and paced conservatively, but changed weather can really do me in.  That's the lesson I've learned.  I don't know if pacing more conservatively woudl have helped me, but I know I am not going to use a pace group in my goal race this year because even pacing doesn't work as well for me as picking it up later in the race, with some fuel left in the tank.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

DetroitTigerFan

DTF - Are your long run paces generally 90 sec or so slower than MP?  If so, I would say you need to pick up the pace later in the run and get your body working harder.  Also, make sure you are doing your LT runs at a pace that is giving your body the appropriate stress level.  It sounds to me like both an aerobic fitness and mental issue.  Both of which can be cured with properly stressing yourself during training.

Indy - thanks for the comments - my Pfitz long run pace says I should shoot for 9:36 - 10:36.  Hansons says a 3:50 marathon should be at 9:29 for long run. Right now, I've been averaging 9:35, at least for my last 18 miler. I have a 20 miler this weekend.  Should I push this pace to 9:30 maybe or just focus on finishing strong - like cranking out the last 5 miles at a fast pace ?      For my LT runs, the fast miles have been at 8:18 (HM pace) I've been using the pace that I feel I can run at a consistent pace for the workout. I think I could run faster than 8:18, but may risk slowing in the back part. I guess I won't know until I try though Smile

Rusk Runner

DTF - I cant remember if you were doing any sort of HR training or not.  How long ago was that HM you did that you were using that pace?  I guess what I am looking for is if you feel that you are occasionally pushing your aerobic fitness every now and then.  Pushing your heart and lungs occasionally should make them able to work harder in the long run.  If I have it in me, I like to do those final miles of a LR pretty close to GMP, which it appears you are doing.  So I guess my question is, "does your weekly quality day truly feel like a quality day, leaving you thinking that you gave a solid effort that will boost your fitness?"

I really have gained alot of respect for the use of a HR monitor.  Pace guessing through an entire cycle can lead you away from your true capacity as an athlete.  If you can find out as closely as possible what your HR max is, you can figure out so much more accurately how hard to push yourself, or how much to hold yourself back.  It doesnt have to rule your entire training schedule, but it sure can make for a better informed and more productive schedule.

Just Run!!!