Sub-4 Marathon Group

April 2013 (Read 53 times)

Ball of Fury

As far as spousal support, I am lucky that DH run all the same races.  The only reason he ever says no is from a financial standpoint, and even then, he usually comes around if I just bring it up enough times in casual conversation.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

White Lightning

I broke up with my gf of 6 years because she wasn't supportive of my running and my pursuit of a healthy lifestyle.  Well that and many many many other reasons

Rest day today but was on my feet all day shoveling mulch, raking leaves, fixing and installing new sprinklers, building new flower beds and trying to shoot the magpies (flying rats).  My mad rush begins as my season is kicking off.  Nice enough out today that I made sun tea, mmmmmmmm.........

Play the Game Hard!

Docket_Rocket

Mr. docket started run/walking so he might start doing 5Ks/10Ks as I do the marathons.

He would not put up a fight if I want to go somewhere and he cannot but we have plenty of places he wants to visit so he pays while I select something we both like.  And I mean he pays because my flimsy salary is like a quarter of his

As far as spousal support, I am lucky that DH run all the same races.  The only reason he ever says no is from a financial standpoint, and even then, he usually comes around if I just bring it up enough times in casual conversation.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

And he is very supportive, more now; otherwise, I wouldn't be able to do 10 destination marathons a year.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Smashy!!!

When DW expresses nonsupport, I just reminder that one doesn't look this sexy without doing work--and then she comes around.

#Doworkgetsexier#

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Cbus - lol! I think my tag would be #Doworkdontgetfatter

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

DetroitTigerFan

Hello everyone !  I need to catch up - just got back from vaca in Arizona.  No running, but lots of hiking in Sedona and Scottsdale

Have any of you hiked Camelback to the top?  I did it for the first time

I wanted to share an interesting story on my blog (see link below)  We ended up helping a young woman on the Camelback Trail who passed out. (I don't think she was prepared/conditioned for the hike stress) Anyway, i had my running energy stuff with me for hiking and gave her a lemon-lime GU and it immediately help out - from almost comatose to fully responsive !  it was the strangest thing i've seen - it was like Popeye and spinach. Anyway, feel free to peruse if the story interests you.

I'll check back later - have to get to bed - have a 14 mile long run on Sat and then mini taper leading to 5/20 HM

Smile

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

DTF - Sounds like a nice trip.  I've been to Sedona and done some easy hikes there.  Beautiful place.  Been to Scottsdale many times for work, but never had a chance to hike up Camelback.  But I've heard the stories of people getting stuck out there unprepared when the midday heat hits.  I bet they were glad you happened by.

Re spousal support - Mrs. Streets is very supportive of training.  She recognizes that it is good, healthy, and a positive role model for the kids.  However I try not to talk about running with her hardly at all.  The reason used to be because it wasn't interesting to her, and she didn't get it.  She had to pretend to care when I was obsessing about paces and goal times.  Now that she started running, it's actually worse.  She's at the point where she's trying to get up to 2 or 3 miles without stopping.  So she gets a little pissed when I talk about a good 12 mile run - like I'm rubbing her nose in it.  I can actually remember what it was like to struggle with those first miles, and can sincerely celebrate her successes.  But I figure I'll keep my mouth shut for a while.  If she gets over that hump to a place where running is fun for her, we'll be able to talk.

Ok.  So there was a chance that I was going to go to Alaska for work.  They made the reservations with the option to cancel later.  I figured it was a 50/50 chance.  So WWaDD? Of course check to see what races are up there.  Wouldn't you know it - while I'm schedule to be there - on the longest day of the year - Mayor's Midnight Sun Marathon in Anchorage!  But I wouldn't know if the trip was on until after I started a new training cycle.  And if I trained for a marathon and the trip got cancelled, I needed to look for an alternate race.  She says "why don't you just plan on doing the Half instead?"  I said if I got a chance to go to Alaska, I had to do the full marathon.  She thought I was crazy.  But you guys get it, right?  Well the trip is off. Someday I'll run that one.  Sigh.

I get full spousal support. But, considering my wild past, this is a far better lifestyle to support. She did seem genuinly interested in Shamrock or better yet, Virginia Beach. She is not a runner which is a shame given her ability. She had never run more than 300 or 400 yards until last year when we signed up for a tough Mudder. She ran the entire 6.2 miles and did the obstacles with ease and very little soreness the next day. But she cannot stand to run. She is bikram yoga person 2/3 times a week.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Docket_Rocket

We get it, streets.  Why don't you train for the marathon, hope for the best, but don't do a training with LRs of 22 miles but maintain LRs at 16 to 18.  I think you can benefit from the training even if you don't do the race.  My opinion but not everybody runs as much as me all year long, ha.

Mr. Docket did another run/walk session with a full 5K done in 51 minutes.  Very nice.

Morning!  6 miles with a 5K in the middle.  Hoping for no asthma attack this time around.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Smashy!!!

So, I pitched the idea of Shamrock to DW last night, and she's in. So, now I need to know: are we officially doing this? Maybe, I can get an official roll call--who's in?

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

My family normally don't come to races as its boring for them. They are coming to Philly as we have never been and lot to do there.

Cbus - put me down as a maybe for now. I can't plan that far ahead with wife.Smile Cbus you and me 8k day before. #doworkgetfasterSmile

ami - glad not sfx

me - 8m in a bit with some faster pace at end.

Good luck to anyone racing this weekend!

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Ball of Fury

So, I pitched the idea of Shamrock to DW last night, and she's in. So, now I need to know: are we officially doing this? Maybe, I can get an official roll call--who's in?

Let me talk to DH but would say we are in!  The only caveat being we will start signing up for vacation at work in July and I think I am the 6th or 7th pick so I suppose there is always a chance 2 people would have already chosen that week.  I am thinking I would actually take the week after, so we can arrive Sat, race Sun, and spend a few days?  We can only take full weeks of vacation, not just a couple days so it makes it hard.  But, I get 7 weeks vacation so I am not complaining!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

My bride and I are in. Only I will be running.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Docket_Rocket

When is Shamrock?  I'll run it by Mr. Docket.  If there is a 5K or 10K that weekend, better.

5K done!  26:10 without albuterol, so faster without ever!  If I had not run an ultra last week I woyld've PRd.  I ran super nice anD the chest didn't feel like it was dying.  It was 84F again so adjusted is somewhere in the low 24s so very happy.

Damaris

Fundraising Page