Sub-4 Marathon Group

March 2013 (Read 56 times)

Docket_Rocket

Rollcast, nice runs.

mdawg, nice 7.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Smashy!!!

Hey everyone,

Still sick. I was laid out in bed yesterday. Hopefully that was the worst of it.

I wanted to chime in on the Pfitz questions, and what kind of build up one must have to tackle it. I think, of course, everyone is different. But I don't think it's about an abstract number like 40 mpw, but where one is in their progress. I can't really think straight right now, so I'll use an example. When I ran my first half-marathon, I was averaging about 25 mpw. From there, I started building up to 40 mpw. Later that year, I began my first cycle of MRT, which topped out at 59.9 mpw. I now think that was too much too soon. That's 100%+ increase in one year's time. It left me overtrained, and I never recovered in time for TCM. Retrospectively, I think I would've done much better if I had capped my increase to say 45 mpw for the year, and ran my first marathon off of that. And then look to the following year to increase into the high 50s. The point I'm trying to make is that even though I was averaging 40 mpw for, say, the 4-6 mo. prior to MRT, what I put my body through over the entire year exceeded my developmental capacity. I've basically did the same thing this cycle, training for my half, but with quality instead of quantity. One of the lessons I learned is not to stick to the letter of a plan, but to adapt the plan to where I am at. Hopefully, I've learned from my mistakes. I've decided to use Hansons Beginners--not Advanced--to train for Columbus. And, I'm gonna slow down the paces for the Speed workouts, so that I don't end up overtrained again (which means I don't have to race a 5K to get my Speed workout pace Wink).  

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Spin this morning for me- tonight's run is supposed to be 7 at recovery pace- I'm going to see if I can even run at all.  The calves feel a lot better and I don't feel any adhesions anymore, so I think if I take it easy, I might be okay.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

onemile

Training plans and mileage... I was consistently running 50mpw with one speedwork session a week this fall and still had a hard time "adjusting" to Hansons. I found it harder that it looked on paper.  I haven't done Pfitz but I would think it's probably the same.  Increasing mileage AND adding more speedwork at the same time is too much.

cbus - sorry you're feeling sick again.

Sprinkles - sounds like a productive graston session. hope it works its magic.

Josh - hope the hip feels better

Roll - my legs were a bit sore/stiff yesterday but surprisingly felt ok during my run last night. I did take some ibuprofen beforehand because I was expecting it to be pretty rough.  Looks like you had a good week last week.

cmb - hoping for good news at the Dr!

Indi - glad the leg is feeling better!

D - is Trixie doing alright today?

I have 11 with 3x2 miles at MP-10 tonight. Wish me luck.  I just have to make it through this week and then taper starts (although with Hansons the taper isn't much)

White Lightning

Cbus - hope you get better.  Everything you said makes sense. My whole running career has been too much too soon.  I've felt very borderline this whole cycle and I think the intervals might be the thing that pushes it too far.  I think another day of easy running instead will be more beneficial for my endurance.

sprinkles - good luck with the 7

Legs feeling quite a bit better today so will try to see what happens when I get my 8 later this afternoon.  Snow is almost gone and should be comfortable with shorts in the afternoon.

Play the Game Hard!

White Lightning

The other thing that I keep forgetting to put into perspective for myself is I only have 1600 total miles, ever.  Patience.........

Play the Game Hard!

The other thing that I keep forgetting to put into perspective for myself is I only have 1600 total miles, ever.  Patience.........

What? Are you sure about that? Yeah, thats a lot really quickly if that number is accurate. Great progress though.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Docket_Rocket

Cbus, feel better!  And I agree (I put a number more as an example).  I think a basenof longer duration might even be better than an increase in base prior to a plan that is shorter.  We all have limits and the important thing is to decide on a plan (if using one) but to amend if it is needed.

onemile,  Trixie might be home today.  Waiting for confirmation.  I already took tomorrow off.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I agree.  Be areful though.  Patience, as you say.....

What? Are you sure about that? Yeah, thats a lot really quickly if that number is accurate. Great progress though.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

White Lightning

The Garmin doesn't lie.  I'm at 17 months of running and took 5 months off last year because of injury and my move back to Canada.

Play the Game Hard!

The Garmin doesn't lie.  I'm at 17 months of running and took 5 months off last year because of injury and my move back to Canada.

kuddos good man.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

ap4

I agree with Cbus on the program depending a lot on where you are in your development, rather than just prior mileage.  I did Pfitz's multiple marathon schedule loosely for my Feb marathon.  What it is is roughly a 3 week recovery, 7 weeks of 57-65 miles, running 6 days a week, then a 2 week taper.  I was coming off Higdon's Intermediate 2, which peaked at 50 miles per week.  Towards the end of the meat of the schedule, I had trouble with the mid week long run the day after the intervals.  Just mustering the heart to crank out the 12-15 miles on tired legs, knowing that it was 3 days until my next SRD.  This was a 12 week taste of Pfitz and I don't think I would have been ready for 18 weeks of his intervals and midweek long runs.  I ended up taking a little more aggressive taper and cut the mileage a couple of miles each day.  For the first time, I felt actually ready for my marathon and was able to race it and not merely survive it.  I decided to repeat the cycle for my half marathon in May and it is definitely easier the second time around, both mentally and physically.  I guess my point is, give your body some time to adapt.  Even if you don't push yourself to the point of overtraining or injury, give yourself time to reap the benefits of your past training.  That's probably why they say most benefit more from just adding easy miles than adding in speedwork.  In truth, I've probably ramped up the mileage faster than most would suggest, but I suspect having been blessed/cursed with a low BMI makes me a little less prone to injury.  That plus not having to watch out for rain, snow, ice, cars, etc on my regular running routes.

mdawg87

The point I'm trying to make is that even though I was averaging 40 mpw for, say, the 4-6 mo. prior to MRT, what I put my body through over the entire year exceeded my developmental capacity.

Well put cbus.  This is exactly what I believe happened to me...I exceeded my developmental capacity within the build up/ marathon training cycle time frame.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

I've been running about as long as you have been Smile.

Makes me not as surprised that Pfitz may be murdering me lol.  Although I still think I have an injury that developed suddenly, not over time.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Smashy!!!

Cbus - hope you get better.  Everything you said makes sense. My whole running career has been too much too soon.  I've felt very borderline this whole cycle and I think the intervals might be the thing that pushes it too far.  I think another day of easy running instead will be more beneficial for my endurance.

sprinkles - good luck with the 7

Legs feeling quite a bit better today so will try to see what happens when I get my 8 later this afternoon.  Snow is almost gone and should be comfortable with shorts in the afternoon.

Then, I would go with your intuition, and replace the intervals with easy miles.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)