Sub-4 Marathon Group

April 2013 (Read 53 times)

Ami - its hard to be patient, dont get down. Have a donut. Do compressoin socks or calf sleeves help?

DR - DH came around, nice.

Jedi - you did the work now trust the plan and the prep.

MDawg - we feel reeeeaaalllly sorry for you and your return to work   Cool. Welcome back though, seriously.

One - how is your recovery?

CBus - . Luckily, I think Shamrock will be an adults only trip for us.

Simon - how is the knee?

Sprinkles - re: German, did you grow up eating traditional stuff like Versunkener Apfelkuchen or Jaeger on Schintzel and potato dumplings? mmmmmmm

Nacho - where are you?

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  5 miles done this morning in only 76F and 100% humidity, bah, and more this afternoon in thunderstorms. Weights tonight.

AMiK, good luck at the doctor.

jedi, the weird thing is that he said the other day: how long til you ran 10?  People do marathons within 6 months.  And I'm there just looking like: Shocked and wondering who the heck kidnapped my husband, LOL.

Cbus, feel better!

Hope everybody has a great day and those donuts struggling with illness or injuries, hope you feel better soon.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Morning!  5 miles done this morning in only 76F and 100% humidity, bah, and more this afternoon in thunderstorms. Weights tonight.

AMiK, good luck at the doctor.

jedi, the weird thing is that he said the other day: how long til you ran 10?  People do marathons within 6 months.  And I'm there just looking like: Shocked and wondering who the heck kidnapped my husband, LOL.

Cbus, feel better!

Hope everybody has a great day and those donuts struggling with illness or injuries, hope you feel better soon.

Just because your DH is a doctor doesn't mean that he may not try to do too much too soon.  Better keep him in check so he doesn't hurt himself.

Docket_Rocket

Of course!  Which is why I had that face.  Ha!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket:  How cool that your DH has been bitten by the running bug!  Watch out...it gets WAY more expensive to run races when you both have to register.

You've got to the math the right way.  I had a friend complain about the registration fee for a marathon.  I told him my marathon was a much cheaper in terms of dollars per mile than a 10K or Half.  So sharing room and travel with your spouse also gives you a better value in dollars per mile.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

For all the stalkers in the group:

http://www.frederickrunfest.com/Results___Tracking/Runner_Tracking.htm

Bib#3464

Splits at 7.85, 10m, and finish.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

bagopux

New shoes yesterday.  Really new.  Adidas Boost.  Some weird styrofoamy base with a neopreny upper.  Kinda feels like a running watershoe.  Not sold on it yet, but it felt pretty good for a 5 miler yesterday.  It came down to the Adidas or the Brooks Ghost and the Ghosts just didn't feel right.

Smashy!!!

Why not book hotel now? Not like you get charged for room if you end up not going or do priceline later on to get a good rate.

You and RV bring up good points, and I will probably end up doing something like that (but for some reason, I thought hotels will charge cancellation fees.) But I think I'm the only one who has this specific problem, so like I said before, I have no problem waiting until summer or fall.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Ball of Fury

You and RV bring up good points, and I will probably end up doing something like that (but for some reason, I thought hotels will charge cancellation fees.) But I think I'm the only one who has this specific problem, so like I said before, I have no problem waiting until summer or fall.

We may go ahead and book something as well.  Most hotels won't charge anything at all, but some will charge a one night deposit that is refundable as long as you cancel within the correct time frame, usually 72ish hours before the reservation.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

i set-up my Philly hotel like 2 months back doing it this way.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

A little behind in responding...

GI  Problems - A neighbor of mine also ran the Detroit Marathon last year, and was telling me about an incident that happened in the tunnel (a mile long tunnel under the Detroit River from Windsor, Ontario back to Detroit). She was running along with a friend of her's and all of a sudden they smelled something awful. The assumed it was some animal that died in the tunnel or something, and kept running. All of a sudden they see a guy run past them - almost sprinting - with GI-tract issues flowing down his leg. They had conflicting feelings of, "Wow, I feel bad for that guy," and, "How can we get away from him and that smell," at the same time. As I mentioned, the tunnel is a mile long, and I guess they were right in the middle of it. And, I don't seem to remember any porta-potties at the exit point. That would suck.

Support - My wife is in general supportive of my running, as she normally runs all of the races that I do (except she won't do anything longer than a half), but she doesn't get the drive to run more than the minimum needed, do speed work, etc. As long as she isn't getting slower times, and maybe gets a few seconds faster with each race, then she is happy. And because she has to work more than me, I think she gets a little jealous when I have time to get in a run and she doesn't. The bigger problem is what to do with the kids, since usually both of us would be running a race, and so our races tend to be near home or in cities where we have close family that we can convince to watch the boys for the morning.

Garmin issues - Mdawg, it sounds like it is working again, so that is good. I have had experience with 3 different Garmin GPS watches (405CX, 310XT, 910XT) and they all have had odd issues like that occasionally, so hopefully the reset is all that was needed and you won't have any other problems.

Cbus - hope you are feeling better, and of course always read the fine print, but most hotels (as opposed to something like condo or house rentals) don't have cancellation fees if you give them any more than a few days notice. (as others have said)

Indi - That is awesome, hopefully that Happy Happy Happy feeling continues. And, what are your thoughts about the Jaguars drafting Denard Robinson? I am hoping he will do well, but I am not sure considering they will need to try to find where he will fit. I heard that the Lions were going to draft him 2 spots later, but Jacksonville took him unexpectedly first. It is probably a good thing he was saved from the Lions miserable franchise.

Ami - hoping everything works out int he end, whatever that might be.

Jedi - Getting closer... early good luck

I got in 10 slow hungover miles yesterday, 44 for the week. Going for 50 this week for the first time since last September.

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

sign up as a rewards member for any hotel chain you want to stay at and they usually dont charge anything for cancellation with in 24hours of reservation, if at all.. Points or no points they just want you to stay with them exclusively.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Ball of Fury

For all the stalkers in the group:

http://www.frederickrunfest.com/Results___Tracking/Runner_Tracking.htm

Bib#3464

Splits at 7.85, 10m, and finish.

Yay for stalking!!  Do you want me to give updates to the group or would you rather it be a surprise?

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Docket_Rocket

Woot, we're stalking jedi!

Just had lunch (3 hours late).  I hate this Monday.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Don't matter to me. probably be done before half of them are up anyway.Smile Race starts at 7am.Smile

Yay for stalking!!  Do you want me to give updates to the group or would you rather it be a surprise?

Up Next:

???