Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

Akalei, a lot depends on your injury history- if you are fragile at higher mileages it may be a problem, if robust then no problem.

Again, pacing makes a huge difference- I have run 21-27kms each weekend for 4-5 weeks at easy pace, but race pace is a very different matter. After my last half I did not feel like racing for a long time, it was actually over two years before I next ran a 5k. Scared myself silly.

Love my new NB Minimus, but not for runs over about 10k. Almost bought Brooks Contact and will consider them and the new lightweight Mizunos next time-gotta wear out some other stuff first, though!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Docket_Rocket

Yes. Half Fanatics is the brother of Marathon Maniacs!  Please do!

I never knew there was such a thing as the Half Fanatics, but now I'm intrigued! Smile

As for your back-to-back race weekend conundrum, which race is more mportant to you?  OR, kind of alternatively, do you feel like you can do full effort two weekends in a row?  Obviously you can handle 6 miles the weekend before Richmond, but defending your title means some serious effort!

Thanks for the input, everyone.  I think I'm gonna go for the Oakland half, as well.  I could use a race shirt/medal from Cali!

8 miles with 10 X 100m done.  Not only were my strides at 25-26 seconds but also my miles were all sub-11 (with the exception of the first) and very fast as compared to last month.  Very happy.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

LOL, jedi used to post on the donuts until earlier last year.

I forgot to welcome jedigunnie to the mix.  Welcome to the Donuts, Jedi!  Some explanation to the screen name? E7?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

AmiK, hope to see you Sunday and good luck!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

onemile

joshlynn and onemile - I'm playing catch up on the forum today, and am digging this up from several days back.  I skimmed the rest of the posts for more info in the 13's but may have missed something.  So I also have two pair of the 12's (335 mi and 564 mi) and my marathon is coming up on the 27th.  I either need to grab some 13's and get some miles in them, or use my 12's with close to 400 mi (by then).  Onemile, did you get some time on your 13's?  Joshlynn, do you think your 12's would have life in them for race day?  Are you still waiting to get 13's?  Thanks

I have run almost 300 miles in the 13's and I love them.  I did not care for the 12's because they felt very stiff and bulky to me.  I liked the 11's.  The 13's are more like the 11's in that they don't feel like a stiff motion control shoe. They feel fairly flexible and cushioned and not bulky yet still supportive enough for me (and I require quite a bit of support)

akalei

Looking into this Half Fanatics stuff, and now I want to be at the "Uranus" level... teehee.

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

akalei: Go for it.  I've raced a half and then raced a 10M on back to back weekends.  I performed better in the half than the 10M, but that is to be expected.  It'd be fine if you are running the second one easy.  Have fun, too!

onemile: With what you've described, I'd probably try to get the workout in, and be very attentive to what my body is telling me.

mdawg: Sorry to hear about the calf.

Cbus: I'm thinking about ordering a pair of the Elixir 7s, too. I just noticed that RW put the WR15s on liquidation and dropped the price, so I'm going to snag a couple of pair of those.

Me: My hip was feeling better today; I was able to get through most of my run before it began to feel tired.  Which is progress.  I ran at lunch, 3.5 @ 8:43.  I thought I was slowing down, but apparently not.  After work, I swam for the first time in a couple of months.  I'm feeling it in my  shoulders already.  2000 yards in 42:49 total time.

Hi to everyone else!

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

onemile

Got the intervals done.  A little tougher than last time and I had to do some coughing between them but I hit my paces and now I get a rest day tomorrow.  Oh and I slowed down my wu/cd/recoveries this time. Hope it pays off.

Smashy!!!

onemile/Cbus – that's my big question. Say I run a 1:49 HM this week which they say is a 3:47 FM. No way I could do that. But after a full cycle at their pacing without complications, could that 3:47 be possible? I'm sure the type of plan you pick makes a huge difference too. Beginner is lacking but is their advanced program designed to pull that off? Or do you need to upgrade to a 60-80 plan from their site? I'm sure the faster your goal, the more advanced plan you need

Josh, this is indeed the big question. But that is how I understand it. If you can run a HM at the beginning of your cyle at 1:49, and that translates to X:00 GMP, then you train at X. If you can do all the workouts at X pace without any issue, then you go ahead and race at that pace, even though you might be able to run a faster HM at the end of your cycle. If X GMP is too lofty, then the training plan will make you realize this before a tune up race will. So, let's say you begin training at X pace, and you can't keep up with the program, then you might have to adjust your goal to X+:10 or :20, whatever it takes to make the training more sustainable.

Also, I wouldn't say the Beginner plan is "lacking." To me, it's comparable to Pfitz 18/55. One might think less of the Beginner plan because they decided to give it the unfortunate name of "Beginner." But to me it's a mouthful. Personally, that's the plan I'm doing for my fall.

Jedi, I remember them saying to not race at the beginning part of the plan. What I said to Onemile was more a hypothetical to make the point that the GMP is based on the HM going into the cycle rather at the end.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Smashy!!!

Dreamn, I'd skip the 10K. That way you can always claim that the woman who takes first is not the "true" champion because they never took you down.

Akalei, so are you going to race both races?

Flinders, that's a great deal on the WR 15s. But I'm wondering if my bouts with ITBS are a sign that I need more supportive shoes...

Simon, you might want to check out the NB Minimus Road 10 v. 2 (dang NB has torturous names) coming out in the spring. It looks great.

Onemile, way to gut out the Speed workout. Rest well tomorrow, and get better because you've gotta Tempo on Thursday!!!

onemile

Josh, this is indeed the big question. But that is how I understand it. If you can run a HM at the beginning of your cyle at 1:49, and that translates to X:00 GMP, then you train at X. If you can do all the workouts at X pace without any issue, then you go ahead and race at that pace, even though you might be able to run a faster HM at the end of your cycle. If X GMP is too lofty, then the training plan will make you realize this before a tune up race will. So, let's say you begin training at X pace, and you can't keep up with the program, then you might have to adjust your goal to X+:10 or :20, whatever it takes to make the training more sustainable.

Also, I wouldn't say the Beginner plan is "lacking." To me, it's comparable to Pfitz 18/55. One might think less of the Beginner plan because they decided to give it the unfortunate name of "Beginner." But to me it's a mouthful. Personally, that's the plan I'm doing for my fall.

Jedi, I remember them saying to not race at the beginning part of the plan. What I said to Onemile was more a hypothetical to make the point that the GMP is based on the HM going into the cycle rather at the end.

Josh - I pretty much agree with everything Cbus says here.  The half I ran was from October. I'd like to think that by April I will have gotten faster. And if I do get faster, then MAYBE 8:30 will be realistic by then.

And I looked at the Beginner's plan.  It's no joke.  The first few weeks are light but it ramps up FAST.  It peaks at 57 mpw and there are 4 weeks over 50 miles, AND 3 weeks at 49 miles.  I think it's as hard or harder than Pfitz 18/55.  The paces beat you down.

Smashy!!!

Josh - I pretty much agree with everything Cbus says here.  The half I ran was from October. I'd like to think that by April I will have gotten faster. And if I do get faster, then MAYBE 8:30 will be realistic by then.

And I looked at the Beginner's plan.  It's no joke.  The first few weeks are light but it ramps up FAST.  It peaks at 57 mpw and there are 4 weeks over 50 miles, AND 3 weeks at 49 miles.  I think it's as hard or harder than Pfitz 18/55.  The paces beat you down.

I will add that in the book they say that if the first base building weeks are lower than what you normally do, then do what you would normally do. My plan is to do the Beginner's plan and run 40ish miles during that base building period.

onemile

There is no way that someone running 15mpw could complete the Hansons Beginner's plan.  No way.

I will add that in the book they say that if the first base building weeks are lower than what you normally do, then do what you would normally do. My plan is to do the Beginner's plan and run 40ish miles during that base building period.

Trail Monster

There is no way that someone running 15mpw could complete the Hansons Beginner's plan.  No way.

I really don't think anyone running that should even think about a marathon anyway. It seems like marathons are just a fad now. People are all about checking it off their bucket list and they don't go about it the right way. I was definitely under-prepared my first marathon. Thankfully it didn't stop me from trying again but I think most people who hunt down a 'Beginner' marathon plan are setting themselves up for a world of hurt anyway.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

onemile

Yes, and then there's that.  Joking

I really don't think anyone running that should even think about a marathon anyway. It seems like marathons are just a fad now. People are all about checking it off their bucket list and they don't go about it the right way. I was definitely under-prepared my first marathon. Thankfully it didn't stop me from trying again but I think most people who hunt down a 'Beginner' marathon plan are setting themselves up for a world of hurt anyway.