Sub-4 Marathon Group

May 2013 (Read 58 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  7-11 miles depending on the thunderstorms and hubby.  Story of my life through October, our rainy/hurricane season.

AmiK, ugh.  Sorry, so frustrating!!!!

Damaris

mdawg87

Good morning!  7 easy TM miles and stretching at the gym.  Strength training tonight.  Another great weather day.  So wish I could've run outside!  Speaking of weather, what horrible news from OK.  Hope for the best for all concerned.

AmiK:  Hate this for you, but I totally understand.  It feels like you're not making any progress and you'll never run again.  Try as best you can to be patient (I know how hard that is) and keep up with the PT.  If you truly feel nothing is changing, then get back to the doctor and have them look at you again...or get a second opinion.

Headsweats:  DH loves them.  That's all he wears.  He's bought most of his at expos.  I think I've seen them advertised in running/triathlon magazines.

Roll:  I know Nick is happy, but I'm sure you're not.  Detroit is playing a very physical game and having success with it.  This is what you were afraid of if I remember correctly.

cbus:  I'm going to try and stay up for at least a few minutes of the Kings game tonight.  I might make it through the first period!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

mdawg, nice 7.

I get my Headsweats at the LRS.  I've found some at expos, like the PR Marathon ones which have the logo of the race and all.  But the other ones are very much available around here.

Damaris

Hope nobody here is worrying about family or friends in Oklahoma- what destruction. Terrible to see..

Watching the Giro d'Italia on TV.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Ami - I'm so sorry you're dealing with this crappy injury- it will improve.  I promise.  I had ITBS forever, and it destroyed my times.  Literally, I was running horribly for about 6 months and thought i just couldn't ever be a runner.  It will go away- just stick with the PT.

Docket- OOOO Hurricane Season. yuck.

Mdawg- Nice 7 on the TM.  I'm itching to run.  Do you have a strength plan you use?

Headsweats: FOUND THEM - they are on Runningwarehouse.com.  Purchased one in WHITE, because not doing black or grey in the summertime.

I think today I will try to do the Jillian Michaels 6 week 6 pack DVD.  Using my stomach muscles feels like the only set of muscles I can maybe begin working with- perhaps arms, but there is no way I can squat, so I'd be very limited in what I could do.  Again, contemplated yoga, then walked outside and realized I still have zero heat tolerance.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Roll:  I know Nick is happy, but I'm sure you're not.  Detroit is playing a very physical game and having success with it.  This is what you were afraid of if I remember correctly.

cbus:  I'm going to try and stay up for at least a few minutes of the Kings game tonight.  I might make it through the first period!

Exactly, and as soon as we tried to get physical, penalty box. ARRRRR. Howard had a crazy good game last night. The pipes were not our friends either but thats the game. Kings should make this an easy win IMO. Nick, love ya bud but Blackhawks are coming for the the Octopi chunkers Cool

Ami - please get a second opinion. This doesnt sound like recovery and the hip can lead to other problems. I wouldnt do any more running until another Dr. checks it out.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Simon, yes, very sad.

Damaris

Hey Cronuts....thats right Cronuts not donuts. Check it out. I thought of yall.

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/meet-cronut-croissant-donut-hybrid-takes-pastry-world-201923707.html?vp=1

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

akalei

Morning everyone!  Just stopping in during a few down minutes at work because I've been MIA for a few days.  I have a couple pages to catch up on, too.  Got in 7 easy miles this morning, hoping for Insanity tonight.  Man is it humid today, too... bless you for dealing with this full time, Docket.

Ami: +1 to what Sprinkles said.  It'll get better--I've been there, too!  Stick with the PT, keep an eye on your form, and make sure you aren't wearing the wrong shoes (I was in the Ravenna and absolutely didn't need stability shoes!).

roll:  Now I'm hungry for some baked deliciousness.  Luckily I should get my fill this weekend in NYC... ahem, Sprinkles, I've decided I need to try Sprinkles Cupcakes since I'm an avid fan of cupcake wars.  And I'll be doing a long run in Central Park Saturday morning, so I'll deserve it. Smile

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

I just don't agree with this chart or the other one that was linked.  The percentage increase in pace is the same whether you go 10F higher than 50F or 10F lower.  Its the same for the equivalent temperature differential for north or south of 50F.  I just don't think that's right.  I think the performance decline is much more pronounced on the temperature increases than it is on the decreases.

I agree with the warmer side of the numbers, but am not sure about the colder side.  I usually only have to deal with temperatures in the mid 20s at worst.  I do know that after I warm up I feel better in the colder weather, but I have noticed that my time is slower than when running at an ideal temperature.  It would seem that some energy would need to be diverted to warming the body, resulting in some slower pace.  I don't know what the percentages would be though.

I do remember that on an earlier marathon I was going to try to maintain a 9:40 pace to try to go sub 4:15 but during the run I looked at my Garmin and noticed that I was only doing 10:00.  Everything felt right.  Namely, my heart rate was right where I would have expected it to be and my level of exertion seemed to be the same as usual, but I was running 20 seconds per mile slower.  The only thing I know of that was different was that it was cold and windy.

Ball of Fury

Thanks everyone!

Roll:  I am planning to stick with my PT until my follow-up with ortho (which is in 2 weeks I think).  The MRI clearly showed bursitis at the head of the femur, which apparently can take weeks to months to improve (blech!!!) so I think that is what is making the hip so painful and tight ya know?  The ortho I am working with today told me he has seen a couple severe cases that required surgery.  You can remove the inflammed bursa and also cut or lengthen the ITB but hopefully, it won't come to that!  Oh and congrats on the weekly mileage!

Sprinkles/Akalei:  Thank you both!  I know it's going to take time, it's just frustrating, especially since there is really no way to know how long it will take.  And we are going to Chicago next week and I fully plan to try Sprinkles cupcakes!  And Sprinkles, I like 6 week 6 pack...great DVD!

MDawg:  Nice 7 on the TM.

Docket:  Hope you have a nice thunderstorm free run!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

decided to take my rest day today. Will do 10 tomorrow.

Docket, Garminless is fine. I've had a Garmin for less than a year, so I know what it's like. I like being precise, and I get that feeling with Garmin, so not having it sucks on that count.

Sprink, sorry it didn't go as well. I know what running in our mugginess is like, and it is not fun. So humbling, though it might be, you also accomplished something remarkable. But let that be a lesson to you: never run an OH race in May! Only in the fall! Smile

Ami, this just sucks. I had bursitis in the shoulder. And it can hurt while running, due to the repetitive motion. So I can only imagine how crappy bursitis in the hip is. I wish there is something I could tell you, but I've got nothing. All I can say is that I just hate that your in this situation.

Mdawg, Go Kings Go! Hoping they play a desperate physical game tonight. They played great in Game 3, and then they took those two penalties at the very end of regulation. Can't win that way.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Wind slows you down too.  My PR race was mostly on a headwind but the sections without were 20sec per mile faster.

I agree with the warmer side of the numbers, but am not sure about the colder side.  I usually only have to deal with temperatures in the mid 20s at worst.  I do know that after I warm up I feel better in the colder weather, but I have noticed that my time is slower than when running at an ideal temperature.  It would seem that some energy would need to be diverted to warming the body, resulting in some slower pace.  I don't know what the percentages would be though.

I do remember that on an earlier marathon I was going to try to maintain a 9:40 pace to try to go sub 4:15 but during the run I looked at my Garmin and noticed that I was only doing 10:00.  Everything felt right.  Namely, my heart rate was right where I would have expected it to be and my level of exertion seemed to be the same as usual, but I was running 20 seconds per mile slower.  The only thing I know of that was different was that it was cold and windy.

Damaris

bagopux

Hey Cronuts....thats right Cronuts not donuts. Check it out. I thought of yall.

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/meet-cronut-croissant-donut-hybrid-takes-pastry-world-201923707.html?vp=1

But what would happen if you cross a bagel with some hockey pucks?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Bagopux, doh

But what would happen if you cross a bagel with some hockey pucks?

Damaris