Sub-4 Marathon Group

May 2013 (Read 58 times)

mdawg87

Sprinkles:  Sounds like a very good way to volunteer at a race.  And you're right, not everyone can do that!

Roll:  Yeah, I feel like I'm 100% healthy.  Just gotta watch my calves as they tend to be tight.  Stretch, roll, stick, repeat!

Nick:  Er...no.  I'll never be hooked on running in the rain, but I did feel like I was hardcore today!

So...get this.  I ran in 55 degrees with a light rain this morning.  And guess what happened this afternoon?  You got it.  It clears up and is partly cloudy and 70 degrees.  Raining again now though.  Can't wait for this front to move north in the next day or so.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

DetroitTigerFan

I can't believe how many fast runners we have on our site. These race times are awesome and I am jealous. I'm still at the start of my training cycle, but I really want to be as fast as you guys/gals someday !

jedi, ap & simon, nick - nice race times !!!!! when are you folks going to come over here and teach me these lightning fast techniques !!!

simon - nice half time - do you have a recent marathon time in the last year ?

nick - was at Stoney this weekend - I think I saw our Hanson's Olympian training the loop.

Question - What do you all like to do for running 2 weeks before your HM's ? what type of running during this taper do you like doing ?

me - 2 weeks out from my start of training half marathon kickoff.  ran the HM course as a long run on easy effort - ran it in 2:08. Looking for 2:01 actual race time or better on race day.  It's a cross country HM so I think its way tougher than a flat course. Also, and I know i'm waiting for it, the race is usually on the first seasonally warm/humid week of the year, although anything is possible . I'm designing my pace goals and my taper plan right now

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Nice race, Sprinkles!

Simon, you shouldn't have buried your placing (4th in AG) and that your age-graded time is a 1:23Tight lippedx in the Big Board thread!  Way to go! Big grin

DTF: I usually crash taper for a half, with a LR of 10-12 the weekend before the race, and short, easy paced stuff the week before.  Two weeks out is a normal week, such as that is for me.  If I actually ran quality/speed, I might ease off a bit, but I don't, so I don't need to.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

DetroitTigerFan

thanks Flinders

My current HM taper plan is :

• Week 2 - Mon - 12 x 400 intervals + Thurs 8 mile tempo (4-5 at MP) + Sat 8 mile "long run" (did 13 and 14 miles the weekends before)

• Race week - Mon - 6 x 400 intervals + Wed 3 miles fast + Friday 3 miles fast

• Sunday race

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Sprinkles - missed your post. I think being a pacer is awesome, and looks like you did a great job. How do you handle people wanting to do different things at the water stops - walk/jog/skip them?

DTF - My plan this year is to treat the 2 halfs I have before my marathon cycle starts like I plan on treating the marathon itself. Since I think I am going with the Hanson's plan, I am just doing the last two weeks before the half marathons like they prescribe for the marathon (with a little less mileage). If I was doing Pfitz again, I probably would have followed the last 2 weeks of that plan to get used to the routine as much as possible.

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Thanks everyone. Really happy about race. Not really upset not hitting a 1:32 like I wanted to. Can't really complain about a 2min PR. Ran really strong. Miles 9-11 not great splits as there were lot of turns and done wind but pushed thru. Formal RR this week. Taking it really easy this week and next before I start building mileage up again for Philly training. So stoked to jump into marathon training again. That BQ will happen.

Nice races Sprinkles, Nick, Dimon, and ap4. Do Work!

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Strider24

Run Strider Run!

Great job today ap4, Jedi, Simon, and Nick!

I also ran a half today (Pittsburgh) and finished in 1:49:21.  Beautiful morning here for a run.

Sprinkles – great job with the pace team.

Good running all!

PR:  47:52 (10K), 1:48:17 (HM), 4:01:42 (FM)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Cbus- I had asthmatic bronchitis in fall of 2010 and it affected me for months- I still have an inhaler but it had lasting effects. Be careful and run with the inhaler.

Jedi- Congrats on a sweet PR. My running buddy ran a 1:35 today- I want to say its on like donkey kong but that seems so fast!

Mdawg- Rainy runs are rough but fun- hooray for a nice solid pace.
                  Volunteering this way was great too - I would definitely do this again.

NND: That's a really good result. LOL I suck at the 10k. I'm impressed with anyone who can break 50min. I didn't stop at water stops when I paced. I told them I'd run a bit faster than 10:30 to account for tangents, but that I would always be on pace to beat 2:20 by a few seconds and that they could catch up or keep me in their line of sight and be ok. Our pace directors told us to just keep going if we could, at a steady pace, and let the racers run their own race relative to us.

Flinders- Nice 17 at a fantastic pace

AP4: Sweet PR! 1:39 is a dream!

Rollcast- Pacing is a ton of fun. Nice 40 miles.

Josh- nice 10 miler , your pace will pick up soon!

Simon- nice race! 1:42 is stellar, and damn on the AG equivalent of 1:23. That is amazing.

Indiana- so glad the PT is working.

DTF- before my halves I front load the week a bit with some faster running but then taper towards the race- I take the day before off and then warm up with strides the day of. I basically follow Higdon's plan but do faster paced running.

Strider - Thanks. Pacing was fun, I already put my hat in the ring for next year.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Strider - Sorry, I noticed you had a race on the Big Board, but forgot till you just posted. Congrats on your half!

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

Strider24

Run Strider Run!

Thanks Nick!  Your 10K time today was fast!  Well done!

PR:  47:52 (10K), 1:48:17 (HM), 4:01:42 (FM)

onemile

Ap4 - holy cow! 1:39? Awesome. I would love to run that one day.

Jedi - congrats again on the speedy race!

Sprinkles - sounds like you did a great job pacing.

mdawg - 100% healthy? Yay!

DTF - What Sprinkles said. Front load the week and keep it short and easy in the couple days pre-race. Unless it is my goal race.

Simon - nice half! Congrats!

Indi - glad your PT is working! Nice run.

Josh - nice 10!

Roll - nice job on the 40!  Pretty respectable.

Flinders - great long run!

8 miles for me today. 38.5 for the week which I'm happy with for my first post marathon week of running.

onemile

Oops, forgot to mention -

Nice 10k Nick. Maybe not your goal but a solid race.

And Strider - congrats on the 1:49!  Nicely done.

ap4

Thanks for the love guys, really happy with the results.  I knew 1:40 was kind of a stretch for me since in my 10 k time trials, I've been consistently around 47 minutes.  I know it's not a race, but didn't feel like I was slacking either.  So my training for this race was a abbreviated version of Pfitz's mult marathon schedule.  Some modifications due to travel, but averaged about 50 miles for the middle meat of the schedule, peaking in the low 60's a couple weeks.  Definitely felt easier this time around, so I ended up running some of the GA runs as tempo runs.  This was a local race to me that covered a lot of the same loops I do most of my training.  Mostly flat, but a couple of rolling hills, but nothing to cry about.  I ran the OC HM last year, but just didn't want to pay the $90 registration this year and looked forward to something different.

Got up around 5:15, showered, had my customary Clif bar and sipped on some water.  Left home a little after 6:00, got dropped off at the start line.  Had about 35 minutes to warm up, stretch, and putz around.  Couldn't quite bring myself to do a full on warm up run, but I've never really had problems getting started.  7:00 start time, about 700 HM runners.  Lined up with the 1:40 pacers, figured if I didn't commit from the beginning, I wouldn't make my goal.

Miles 1-3 (7:27, 7:31, 7:26)  Easy start, maybe I can do this.  HR (172, 178, 182).  Listening to the chatter of the pacers and other runners definitely made things easier.

Miles 4-9 (7:30, 7:38, 7:31, 7:30, 7:37, 7:44) Initial excitement was wearing off, can I really keep this up the entire time?  Some of the rolling hills and hairpin turns start adding to the effort.  Pacers stay positive, but we start losing members.  HR (185, 186, 187, 182, 185, 185).

Mile 10-13.1 (7:30, 7:37, 7:32, 7:21, 1:05) The pacers slow a little bit because of the hills and to provide moral support to some of the stragglers.  I decide to "run my own race" and forge on ahead, figured if I was there to race, I wasn't going to leave much time on the course.  The return trip was definitely more uphill than I was hoping for, nothing terrible, just would have rather the hills be earlier. HR (186, 186, 189, 190, 194) Miles 11 onward merged with the 10k runners, so a little more dodging, but it's a little energizing to pass people  at the end.  Squeaked in just under 1:40 and the pacers were nowhere in sight when I finished.  I think they ended up finishing about a minute or two over goal when it was said and done.

Overall, I think I ran what I could for my fitness.  Definitely benefited from the support of the group and drafting earlier on.  Probably ramped up the pace a little earlier  than I should have at 9.5 mile, but thankfully didn't place complete trust in the pacers.

Summary:   1:39:40 chip time,  39/697 overall,  5/56 AG,  3:08 PR

Next up: Long Beach Marathon Oct 13, using Pfitz 18/70, goal sub 3:40.

Smashy!!!

Wow, lots of awesome races this weekend!

Ap4, great time, and great pacing. If 9.5 was too soon, it didn't show in the splits. Well executed.

Simon, awesom time!

Strider, Pitt is no joke. Great time.

Nick, 10k? That's twice as crazy as a 5k. Congrats on the AG place.

Sprink, thank you for pacing that group. I totally want to pace a half one day. But most are paced by teams rather than individuals.

Awesome racing everyone! Remember to post your results on the Big Board.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Ball of Fury

Another SRD/URD or whatever I am calling it these days!  I was going to do an Insanity workout this morning but my calves are like rocks this morning...I guess from the 5K effort?  Anyway, decided to just rest again and then I have a chiro appointment this afternoon.  I will do my hip exercises/stretches this afternoon.

Dtf: I would think if you ran that fast on an easy training run, your race goal would be in the bag!  I agree with the others, not a huge taper for the HM, but just run easy the few days before.

Flinders:  That is an awesome long run!

Nick:  Great job with the 10K, even if you fell a bit short of what you were hoping for...still a very speedy time!

Jedi:  Again, great job yesterday!

Strider:  Awesome job with your HM as well!

Sprinkles:  You did an amazing job with your pace group...sounds so fun!

Ap4:  Very nice race...congratulations!

Rollcast:  Nice weekly mileage!

Josh:  Good job with the 10...glad you are getting back out there.

Indy:  I am happy your PT is working so well and you are feeling good!  When does your IMM plan start?

Onemile:  Sounds like you are recovering well and getting back out there!

MDawg:  Your running is going so well too...inspires me that I can come back from this injury!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15