Sub-4 Marathon Group

May 2013 (Read 58 times)

I'm working on getting over my disappointment.  I don't feel that I can put this medal on the wall with the rest - I didn't run a marathon.  I ran 22 miles and did a hobby jog-walk to the end..which to me, doesn't count as a race effort.  I will give you an idea of what the shade level was on the course after mile 13 ..here is a pic of me with my shirt wrapped around my neck to keep me cool just before mile 26, right before I threw it aside (a volunteer or spectator or someone saw that i had thrown it at DH and gave it to him and I got it back).  My husband actually thought I was hurt and was really upset when he finally did see me at the finish line...apparently I have a reputation of never giving up.  This time it would have been stupid not to.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Mile 25.7 ish

NUTS! persaverance for sure

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

I've always had a problem with mm and %s.  I assume it's easier to just convert to seconds, calculate the increase and convert back to mms?

Edited: Although I find it hard to believe that 100F would only make you slower only 0:25mm. I slow down that way for 80F.

Yeah, converting to seconds and then back later I think is easiest.

That's 25 seconds slower for someone who is running at a 5:00 minute pace.  For a 10:00 minute pace adding on 8.33% would be 10:50.  Looking at my current 9:00 MP, the chart's suggestion of 9:24 for 86F (today's temperature/heat index) seems reasonable.  I just used straight interpolation.

Docket_Rocket

That means mine would be closer to 1mm which makes sense.  Again, I think for marathons, the difference is higher, as the longer you're out in the 100F soup, the slower you're going to get (a la moi in Puerto Rico).  Interesting.

Yeah, converting to seconds and then back later I think is easiest.

That's 25 seconds slower for someone who is running at a 5:00 minute pace.  For a 10:00 minute pace adding on 8.33% would be 10:50.  Looking at my current 9:00 MP, the chart's suggestion of 9:24 for 86F (today's temperature/heat index) seems reasonable.  I just used straight interpolation.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I must be doing something wrong because I come up with 11:23 for a 10mm in 100F.  I do have an MBA, I swear....

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

That means mine would be closer to 1mm which makes sense.  Again, I think for marathons, the difference is higher, as the longer you're out in the 100F soup, the slower you're going to get (a la moi in Puerto Rico).  Interesting.

My thinking is that I could try this for some of the Hansons' training.  It might keep me from having to do ALL my runs in the wee morning hours.  I just hope that I wouldn't be fooling myself, and that the slower in-heat miles would in fact translate to the correct paces at more moderate temperatures.  There are enough 18 and 20 milers in there for me to test out these percentages, and even many of the mid-week runs are of the nature 3wu+8MP+3cd.  That would be enough to get a feel for it I think.

I must be doing something wrong because I come up with 11:23 for a 10mm in 100F.  I do have an MBA, I swear....

Ha.  (I actually have a couple of degrees in math.  Smile )

So, for 10:00 minutes per mile, that is 600 seconds.  Multiply 600 seconds by 1.0833 (8.33%) = 649.98 seconds, namely, 10:49.98 seconds or 10:50 per mile.

(I think we've hijacked the thread!)

SprinklesRunner:  It looks damned hot out there.  No shade in sight!  Plus there is the reflection of the heat from the surface.

Docket_Rocket

I always train that way and I've never missed a PR marathon, so I think it's well proven.

Remember I said PR marathons, not my 300 marathons a year.

My thinking is that I could try this for some of the Hansons' training.  It might keep me from having to do ALL my runs in the wee morning hours.  I just hope that I wouldn't be fooling myself, and that the slower in-heat miles would in fact translate to the correct paces at more moderate temperatures.  There are enough 18 and 20 milers in there for me to test out these percentages, and even many of the mid-week runs are of the nature 3wu+8MP+3cd.  That would be enough to get a feel for it I think.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I did all that but when I translate back into minutes per mile, that's when I screw up.  645/60 is not giving me 10:49 but above 11mm but I see how you came up to that.  Like I said, I always have problems with %s and minutes per mile.

Ha.  (I actually have a couple of degrees in math.  Smile )

So, for 10:00 minutes per mile, that is 600 seconds.  Multiply 600 seconds by 1.0833 (8.33%) = 649.98 seconds, namely, 10:49.98 seconds or 10:50 per mile.

(I think we've hijacked the thread!)

SprinklesRunner:  It looks damned hot out there.  No shade in sight!  Plus there is the reflection of the heat from the surface.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Cbus - Thanks.  It was a very demoralizing experience.  I would say humbling, but I'm not very cocky to begin with, so demoralizing is probably the more appropriate term.

Rollcast- Ha, yes I will admit I have some guts.  I was attempting an "I'm ok" wave at my husband in that photo, even though I felt like my head was going to explode.

RV Downing : Yeah, it was ugly- the shade was ok but the last 10 miles were just murder.

RV/ Docket: At this race, the elites were 11 minutes off their times, which basically correlates pretty well with the math you both are putting together.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Docket_Rocket

And it makes sense.  You need to adjust the time to make them equal, sort of like adjusting for age to compare two runners of different ages.  It's the same with weather.  As soon as I race, I check the chart, the temps, and the dewpoint.  When I lower it down to 60F equivalence, then I compare, but not before.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

And the fact that you ran 3:55 in those conditions show how much more you'll PR when temps are nice.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

And the fact that you ran 3:55 in those conditions show how much more you'll PR when temps are nice.

Thanks.  I was worried about assuming 3:45 for this race and then adjusting my times downward for a fall 3:40 goal, but I think I will do it even though this didn't reflect that reality.  I also made sure that my race schedule ahem...lines up with the appropriate weeks of the month.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

mdawg87

Sprinkles:  That's a sub 4 in horrid conditions.  I'd be willing to bet you suffered more yesterday than you will when you BQ.  Hang that medal with pride.  You earned that hardware.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Ball of Fury

Sprinkles:  That's a sub 4 in horrid conditions.  I'd be willing to bet you suffered more yesterday than you will when you BQ.  Hang that medal with pride.  You earned that hardware.

+ 1,000!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

ap4

+1

Display that medal with pride. The experience will make you a stronger, smarter racer for the future.