Sub-4 Marathon Group

May 2013 (Read 58 times)

Late in responding, but Congrats! Sprinkles and DTF.

Sprinkles - that just sounds like a tough race, perseverance is right. Be proud of that medal, just think of how many people quit and didn't even get to the finish to receive one. Was that a PR?

DTF - good job, and that has to give you good momentum going into your training cycle to kill those 8 more minutes!

I was a pretty big wimp yesterday, was going to have to cut my LR short due to time yard work that took longer than expected and time constraints, but it was 89deg on my thermometer when I started and gave up after 7 miles. Still impressed thinking about finishing a marathon in that weather.

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

MDawg, AmiK, and AP4: According to my watch it was a PR.  Because I chucked my shirt, I don't have an official time.  I actually emailed the race officials to see if they could mark my clock time (I started quite a few minutes back) down if a photog got a shot of it, just so that I could do better than a DNF.  If not, oh well, I have my watch.

Nick: It was a 6 second PR.

So, for future plans, don't really know whether to aim for my predicted pace of 3:38 (off of my March half).  I think I should though...I ran a 1:53 in Brooklyn in May 2012, and a 3:56 in Philadelphia in November 2012.  The McMillan prediction off of a 1:53 is a 3:55:56...so, I did get there.  I'm thinking since my half was in March 2013 and I ran a 1:45, which predicts a 3:38, I should be able to run that time in about the same elapsed training period since my last half.  Sure a BQ would be nice, but I don't want to fry myself going out too fast.  I'm going to train for the 3:38 and see what happens...in any event I'm definitely doing Pfitz 18/55 this time.  Vengeance is now a priority- as soon as I can sit on the toilet again without bracing myself with my hands, and as soon as I can do better than limp walk ... oh, and the Cleveland Medal is quite pretty - its colorful and psychedelic.

If this race wasn't HOT IN CLEVELAND I would say - run it.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Rusk Runner

Sprinkles - Every marathon is not going to have the results you want.  The best say that one of the allures of the marathon is that you cannot know what results you are going to get until the race is over.  You did great and you finished and you should be proud of what you accomplished.  I am proud of what you accomplished.

Gonna ride a gew miles on the bicycle later tonight when the kids et ready for bed.  Hate to not be running but it is what it is.  Never got to get scheduled with the doc today so I will call tomorrow.  I can say that it is definately in the soleus muscle just below the calf muscle, and it only becomes a problem when I run for a bit.  I can walk, stretch, cycle, jump up and down with my forefoot, etc without pain.  I dont know what the cure will be but I hope I can get back to running soon.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

Adjust the 3:55 for weather.  What is that pace per mile?  What was the heat index again, 90F?  I'll can look up at the adjustment.  I'll bet you is closer to 3:40 or less adjusted for weather.  Don't use the 3:55 because it's not the equivalent of that pace in 60F.

MDawg, AmiK, and AP4: According to my watch it was a PR.  Because I chucked my shirt, I don't have an official time.  I actually emailed the race officials to see if they could mark my clock time (I started quite a few minutes back) down if a photog got a shot of it, just so that I could do better than a DNF.  If not, oh well, I have my watch.

Nick: It was a 6 second PR.

So, for future plans, don't really know whether to aim for my predicted pace of 3:38 (off of my March half).  I think I should though...I ran a 1:53 in Brooklyn in May 2012, and a 3:56 in Philadelphia in November 2012.  The McMillan prediction off of a 1:53 is a 3:55:56...so, I did get there.  I'm thinking since my half was in March 2013 and I ran a 1:45, which predicts a 3:38, I should be able to run that time in about the same elapsed training period since my last half.  Sure a BQ would be nice, but I don't want to fry myself going out too fast.  I'm going to train for the 3:38 and see what happens...in any event I'm definitely doing Pfitz 18/55 this time.  Vengeance is now a priority- as soon as I can sit on the toilet again without bracing myself with my hands, and as soon as I can do better than limp walk ... oh, and the Cleveland Medal is quite pretty - its colorful and psychedelic.

If this race wasn't HOT IN CLEVELAND I would say - run it.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

DetroitTigerFan

thanks all for your congrats ! i'm now just starting our mini race season here - lots of 10K's and a fav 10 mile race coming up - then my cycle starts mid June

Sprinkles - nice job again - you should be proud ! you sub 4'd in all that heat - I hope to hit that in 50 degrees Smile  That picture is amazing - I know it was in the 80's here yesterday so I can't imagine in Cleveland too - it looks like 0% shade there.    Do you ever run with a billed visor or cap ? (PS - did anyone ever congratulate you on your "10K marathon"? yet lol ! - I forgot who you said told you that)

Cbus and Nick - thanks so much - this race does give me confidence for sure. I have to recalc my paces now based on my race on some of the 10k's coming up too. Naturally, here comes the heat again to fiddle with everything - I guess that's part of the challenge.

docket - still don't know how you can race in all this heat - i'm a wus in 87 degrees ! (although I did lose 3 lbs just now in my 8 mile recovery run-lol)  It's funny your chart starts at 90 !

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Adjust the 3:55 for weather.  What is that pace per mile?  What was the heat index again, 90F?  I'll can look up at the adjustment.  I'll bet you is closer to 3:40 or less adjusted for weather.  Don't use the 3:55 because it's not the equivalent of that pace in 60F.

Docket - its about 8:59 per mile pace.  I'm curious as to the exact conversion.

Indiana- Thanks for the vote of confidence- I am feeling better about it.  It was just disappointing.  I have had a series of really solid races, so it had to happen sooner or later.  If there's one thing that will do you in its that kind of weather.

DTF - I do sometimes wear a billed cap - it seems to make me retain more heat, but I think a visor that stops sweat from dripping wouldn't be bad.

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Here's the garmin race summary - the last 0.8 of the race-ish was when I switched to timer only - I didn't want the feedback anymore - I was thinking all kinds of crazy self-defeating thoughts at that point.So, this garmin summary takes up to mile 26.6 and then the last segment is just my 4 minute deathmarch/attempt to run that I timed only. < - yes I was being a giant baby at this point in the race

I ran a perfect race...until I didn't.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/315874808

Rusk Runner

visors are the bomb Sprinkles!  I have two running hats and a visor, and the visor gets worn alot, particularly during a race.

DTF - have you tried some pearl izumi fly shorts yet?

went for 8 miles on the bike for tonight.  i need to get broke in on the thing, i just wish it wasnt such a piece of crap.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

RR done Smile

Totally getting a visor- which brand do you recommend?

Docket_Rocket

8:59mm in 90F is the equivalent of 8:35mm, according to my coach's chart, or DRUMROLL, 3:45!  So you did run the marathon on pace.

Anyway, my coach's chart does not take into consideration the dewpoint (except for the little bit it is used to calculate the heat index), so 3:40 is not really out of the ballpark for you.

Docket - its about 8:59 per mile pace.  I'm curious as to the exact conversion.

Indiana- Thanks for the vote of confidence- I am feeling better about it.  It was just disappointing.  I have had a series of really solid races, so it had to happen sooner or later.  If there's one thing that will do you in its that kind of weather.

DTF - I do sometimes wear a billed cap - it seems to make me retain more heat, but I think a visor that stops sweat from dripping wouldn't be bad.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Headsweats!  I like them.

I do not use them in the Summer (I actually don't use anything but a headband in the Summer) because it overheats my head.  And all my runs are shadeless so you can imagine how much I overheat I don't use any even with that sun.  But when I use any, Headsweats to me are the best.

RR done Smile

Totally getting a visor- which brand do you recommend?

Damaris

Fundraising Page

bagopux

For that table you said you were saving, this table actually shows the percentages, so instead of using 5:00 per mile as is done here, you could just plug in your own pace and/or construct your own table.  Got this one here.

Heat Index Total Performance Change Sample Adjustments to Pace
                              Per Mile

Per K

120F +16.33% 5:49 3:36.9
                          110 F +12.00% 5:36 3:28.8
                          100 F +8.33% 5:25 3:22.0
                          90 F +5.33% 5:16 3:16.4
                          80 F +3.00% 5:09 3:12.0
                          70 F +1.66% 5:05 3:09.5
                          60 F +.33% 5:01 3:07.0
                          50 F 0% 5:00 3:06.4
                          40 F +.33% 5:01 3:07.0
                          30 F +1.66% 5:05 3:09.5
                          20F +3.00% 5:09 3:12:0
                          10F +5.33% 5:16 3:16.4
                          0F +8.33% 5:25 3:22.0

I just don't agree with this chart or the other one that was linked.  The percentage increase in pace is the same whether you go 10F higher than 50F or 10F lower.  Its the same for the equivalent temperature differential for north or south of 50F.  I just don't think that's right.  I think the performance decline is much more pronounced on the temperature increases than it is on the decreases.

DetroitTigerFan

+1 docket on headsweats - I use the caps, but I have no idea where to purchase them to be honest - I just bought a couple spares from our local marathon website, but can't seem to find generic ones. Maybe they have a corporate website/storefront

indy - no, I haven't tried those pearl fly shorts - I looked but it was at a larger sporting goods chain - I'll have to see if maybe our local running stores carry those. I did buy some Nike ones that were much shorter than the Underarmor heatgear that I wear.  I'm sure i'll try those out soon and see if it helps me in the heat

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Took a URD today since I didn't sleep much last night picking up the wife and son from the airport at 1:00 AM (and driving home, the fact that it was 92deg at 7:00PM didn't help). Of course I am dumb and now watching the end of the Wings game instead of sleeping (Go Wings!). 11 miles planned for tomorrow morning.

I definitely think that cold would affect you less than heat - especially since you can add more clothing when it is cold. Can't do the same in the heat.

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

Ball of Fury

Morning Donuts!  Got up at 4:30 this morning and tried to run....no go!  It is really frustrating and disappointing and I am not sure it's ever going to get better at this point.  It's such a strange feeling...my hip joint just feels so tight in a painful way, and when I try to take steps with my right leg, it's almost like the hip pulls the leg back and I end up limping.  The pain isn't excruciating by any means...I just can't get my body to do what my mind is telling it to do.  Anyway, I just went back inside and did my hip exercises/stretches although I am not sure they are helping at all.  Sorry for the whiny rant...I will stop now.  Makes me feel especially bad for complaining about running when so many people in OK lost their lives....praying for those affected for sure.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15