Sub-4 Marathon Group

May 2013 (Read 58 times)

ha...a pugel or a backel

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Akalei & Ami - Let me know how the cupcakes are! I've never had them.

Cbus - We have the same hellacious humidity here- it came a day later.  I guess it's always a gamble.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

onemile

Amik - ITBS pretty much ruined my running in 2011 and it took me over a year to be able to run over 10 miles again.  I went to PT, chiro, ortho (got the cortisone), ART, ultrasound, massage, strengthening, gait analyses, foam rolled, iced, stretched, etc etc and I even had an MRI (which showed...ITBS).  It was a hard year and I felt like I would never be able to run like a normal person again.  If I thought surgery would have fixed it, I would have done it in a heartbeat. But if you read about that, it's not a magic fix either.  Anyway, I'm not trying to scare you or depress you but more encourage you to keep at it and be patient and it WILL get better.  I've been able to pretty much run what I want the last year.  My ITB still lets me know if I'm trying to do too much and I sort of feel like I'll never be able to do a ton of 20 milers and stuff. But, despite that, I've had a pretty good year and even survived my marathon without it acting up at all.  So you'll get over it eventually and you'll be back to running marathons.   I know it sucks but try to stay positive.  (and the things that I think helped me the most were Graston (by far) and core strengthening) and building back up extremely slowly.  I had to give up the idea that just because I USED to be able to run x distance or x mpw didn't mean I could anymore and I had to let go of that idea.

Anyway, I am off to Africa tomorrow so won't be around for a bit.  Hope you guys get some good running in while I'm gone Smile

Ball of Fury

Thank you Jenny!!  It does help to know that yours lasted a long time, but did eventually get better.  I really don't mind taking a break and doing the PT, etc...if it WILL get better.  I just sometimes feel like it won't.  I hope you have an amazing trip!!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Wind slows you down too.  My PR race was mostly on a headwind but the sections without were 20sec per mile faster.

I wasn't even referring to a headwind.  Just wind to blow heat away from the body.

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Wind slows you down too.  My PR race was mostly on a headwind but the sections without were 20sec per mile faster.

Docket- Headwind sucks- I train in headwind daily and I hate it- doing my MP miles or tempo paces against it is always a good time. The wind this weekend - ha, it was like a nice warm laugh in the face.

RV/Docket: I think the cold probably messes with you if you're not used to it- if you have sensitive lungs in any way it can be very very harsh- at least our cold, nasty dry air can be.  I've had some issues with it in the past.  That said, my half PR was on a 23 degree day where i never warmed up.  It was, however, after three months of running in frigid conditions.

Jenny: have fun in Africa!

Bagels that are like hockey pucks are what they order here every single week.

Docket_Rocket

From the way the heat/humidity makes me feel, I'll take a cold day any day.

I also train on a headwind every day, as we have twister winds and 90% of the run is on a headwind no matter the direction you run.  It sucks indeed!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Oh yeah- i vote cold > hot right now.  It's so humid you can cut it with a knife.  I have a head cold (not even 48 hours after the marathon and I was sick) and a cough/itchy throat, and its miserable to be outside because I literally can't breathe. YUCK.

Also, Jillian's abs DVD includes as its second exercise: LUNGES.

MEAN.

Just, so MEAN.

Oh well, back to sitting in a desk chair or on my couch.  Currently on my couch, working because my head is going to 'splode.

Ball of Fury

And the saga continues!  At chiro for ART, and he was also frustrated that I am not improving, so he had me do a one-legged hop, which I could just barely do!  It was painful and I barely got off the floor.  Way way different than a hop on the other leg.  Anyway, in his experience, the one legged hop is often indicitive of a stress fx, so he wants me to see ortho again.  Ugh!! Why he whole thing is driving me crazy!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

onemile

And the saga continues!  At chiro for ART, and he was also frustrated that I am not improving, so he had me do a one-legged hop, which I could just barely do!  It was painful and I barely got off the floor.  Way way different than a hop on the other leg.  Anyway, in his experience, the one legged hop is often indicitive of a stress fx, so he wants me to see ortho again.  Ugh!! Why he whole thing is driving me crazy!

Well at least if it is a stress fracture, you will have an answer and time frame for healing.  Good luck.

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Hi all.  I have been MIA.  I had a very rough three weeks at work and with other things (nothing negative, just very busy and stressful, so it meant that I wasn't very chatty and didn't have a ton of internet time).  When I finished it all up,  I took a couple of days off around the weekend to get out of town and to unplug for a couple of days and to recharge.  I ran a bit to remind my legs how to run and otherwise not be completely stale for my race next week, but otherwise relaxed.  Life stress plus travel has meant that I haven't had the normal taper madness.  But I think I might try to cram three weeks of taper madness into three days. Big grin

I'm about 12 pages behind, so I'll do my best to catch up.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Docket_Rocket

Oh, fuck.  I hope it's not that but get it checked out soon!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

7 miles, some with hubby and the last 4 with 8 X 100m strides.  It has been a while but doing them at 6:30-6:45mm average and without much effort and it was 85F and 71 dewpoint!  I am very happy about my training this year even though I have not PRd since February (I have not tried either, LOL). I cannot wait til marathon training starts!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Evening Donuts! Late check-in for me. Training class for work all day, but got out early and went back to hotel to get work done. Lot of running for me today, but unfortnately all on the hotel TM. 11.2m this am with 12x400s and ran a recovery 4.3m tonite with some strength work too. 15.5m for the day I'll definitely take that. 12x400s at 6:00 pace and felt good to cut loose again after a couple easy weeks. Good to do a typical Hanson workout too. Traveling to Lexington, NC tomorrow to a supplier and then to Greenville, SC in afternoon.

AmiK - hang in there and hopefully not a sfx but dont sound good.

Sprinkles - I read your RR in a bit. Great race again.

cbus - 91 here today in Greensboro!

jenny - you're going to Africa? I hear it's Africa hot there.Smile

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

That blows...at least a SFX is a definitive course of treatment, as sh*tty as it is.  I went through all this crap last July and it was AWFUL.  Wishing you the best.