Sub-4 Marathon Group

May 2013 (Read 58 times)

Docket_Rocket

Sprinkles, good decision.  Enjoy spinning.

AmiK, hope the MRI shows something (not an injury, but an answer).

Simon, good workouts.

5 more miles, 2 with hubby (we usually do 5 sets of 6 minutes run/2 minutes walk, but it was super hot and humid, so I told him it was OK to just do 4 as he started too fast and paid for it at the end huffing and puffing).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

DetroitTigerFan

Roll - good luck with your apt on Friday. What do Dr's perscribe as solutions to shin splints - is that certain exercises, compression or rest ? I don't know much about shin splints and how they are fixed

Sprinkles - lol on the meathead.

Indy and Ami - hope you feel better soon and your dr's appt's go well

Mdawg - do the schools keep the track open that early ?  I thought of speedwork last year that early too but ended up having to do 400's on straight-aways using GPS as a guide each .25,etc... it was tough too running it with streetlights only - lol

Nick - you getting excited for Ann Arbor ? good luck to you. I'll be in Royal Oak for Oak Apple 10K. Check out the 10 day forecast - it's perking up

Everyone have a great and safe holiday weekend.  Anyone running any races this weekend ? I can't believe its 49 and rainy here now (83 last few days)   PS - Detroit marathon posted this free coupon that I thought i'd share with all of you to enjoy (if you happen to be in MI this week.........maybe to enjoy a Red Wing victory ?)   Smile

http://www.freepmarathon.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Tim-Hortons-May-Eblast-Coupon.jpg?source=nletter-

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

mdawg87

Indy:  I went back to a traditional 10-11 mm drop on the advice of my sports doc.  He also recommended me switching to a neutral shoe.  That's how I ended up with the Wave Riders.  I was in the 8 mm Saucony Guide 6s prior.  They were a light stability shoe, but I was amazed at how much lighter the Wave Riders were.  Just curious as to why you like the lower drop shoes.  Is it the weight (or lack thereof) of the shoes?

DTF:  I'm not sure if the track would've been open.  I'd heard it was though.  My plan was to leave a few minutes early in case it wasn't so I could make it to the gym by 5am, but the rain negated that.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Off to spin now.  I GOT A GOOD RACE PHOTO.  I BOUGHT IT.  It is now my avatar.  These things don't happen often.  I think its from the half way mark.  People are already sweating and grimacing in the background.

We need to see a larger version!

Had a great tempo run today, but man it was cold! It was 44deg and raining this afternoon, about 40 degrees cooler than last weeks tempo. I can't believe it was over 90deg a couple days ago. I decided to slow down to a 7:45 target pace, so the slowdown, cool temps, and lighter running this week allowed me to actually finish my 8 hilly tempo miles at a 7:41 average. I ran 13 miles total. It concerns me that maybe the cold is what helped me the most, because I don't think there is any way that it will be that cool in 2 weeks, but still it was nice to finish the planned run, and it felt rather easy. Looking at my HR data, it seemed that I really need to target a pace that doesn't tire me out too much on the uphills, otherwise, even if I am keeping the pace, I see that my successful hilly runs are when my HR is able to recover decently on the downhill. If my HR doesn't come down much because I worked too hard on the uphill or am running too fast on the down hill to make up for lost time, then I am not going to make it.

Roll - Sorry about your Hawks. Good game though, chances for both teams.

DTF - getting excited and nervous. One thing I am excited for is starting the marathon training cycle after the race is over.

Indi - I guess also if you don't have any shoes in your closet with more heel, then it makes it more difficult to try it out also. If you do, maybe just try one short run to see if you can keep your form enough and run without the soleus pain? I guess the hope would be it would only be needed for a couple weeks.

Sprinkles - the picture of mini-Sprinkles looks good, I hate all of my pictures for the most part too.

House - We haven't gotten rid of it yet, have showings tomorrow and Saturday. The market in that area has really bounced back, and our hope is that we can get what my wife (before we were married) bought it for in the height of the 2005 market. The neighbor just sold his house (getting married) for just over asking price for cash in 4 days with multiple bids.

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

Ball of Fury

Morning Donuts!  Not much going on here...may do upper body when  I get home from work. I promised the ortho I would do zero lower body except stretching until I see him again, which isn't until June 7...blah!  Anyway, MRI tomorrow and then we are going to Chicago for the week so I probably won't be around much.  I am going to try to limit computer/phone usage and just enjoy the trip with my family!!  Hope you all have great runs next week and a happy holiday weekend.

Indy and Roll:  Hope your appointments go well today!

Nick:  Nice tempo!!  And seriously, don't count out the "race day magic!"

Sprinkles:  Nice pic!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

mdawg87

Good morning!  Strength training and 3 easy TM miles this morning.  Looking forward to the 3 day weekend.  Our weather will be gorgeous in Atlanta.  A little cooler than normal in the mornings, but low humidity and highs in the high 70s/low 80s.  Perfect!  If only ebunny and I could have that for our HM in two weeks.  Alas, I'm sure it will be back to summertime weather by then.  Especially since it's forecasted to be back in the mid to upper 80s on Monday/Tuesday.

AmiK:  Enjoy Chicago!  I wish we'd had a little more time there when we ran the marathon last year.  We didn't get to see any of the landmarks and I'd never been there.

DTF:  Red Wings looking good.

Roll:  Blackhawks not looking good.  They've got to figure out a way to get something by Howard.

cbus:  Home ice advantage seems to be the key to the Kings success.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Rusk Runner

Amik - enjoy your trip!  I am probably cancelling my appt today.

Ran 5 miles @ 9:31.  No pain of soreness to report.  HR higher, but I havent done a run in 2 weeks.  RAN 5 MILES TODAY.  WOOT-WOOT!

I am going to go ahead and get a better bike.  The active recovery and cross training effect has struck me as a very effective tool.  Thinking about a schwinn fast back.  Better gear set than anything else in its price range.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I ended up with 6 AM, 2.16 with hubby, and 2.85 alone in the PM.  And weights.  Triples and weights.  What?

Chiro and a recovery run tonight.

DTF, I have a 5K on Monday.  Enjoy your weekend.

Nick, nice tempo.

AmiK, good luck with the MRI tomorrow.

mdawg, nice strength and TM run.

indi, great job coming back.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Blackhawk down Undecided

ortho prescribed steroids . He doesn't believe in "massage therapy"

took a vacation day so I am gonna give running a shot

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Smashy!!!

hey all,

I've been running. I'll be leaving for home tomorrow, and then will probably be more regular on the boards.

Mdawg, +1 to your assessment of the Kings. I can see this series going the full seven. But there was one key change last night. Matt Greene is back. He's our most physical defenseman, and he made an immediate impact. The Sharks have been taking runs at Quick, and last night  Greene leveled one of the guys (I forget his name). In fact that guy was a marked man all night. Hopefully, they end it in six, but playing in SJ will be tough. If they face Det., they'll have home ice again, and that will be key since Det is playing out of their minds.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Ball of Fury

Amik - enjoy your trip!  I am probably cancelling my appt today.

Ran 5 miles @ 9:31.  No pain of soreness to report.  HR higher, but I havent done a run in 2 weeks.  RAN 5 MILES TODAY.  WOOT-WOOT!

I am going to go ahead and get a better bike.  The active recovery and cross training effect has struck me as a very effective tool.  Thinking about a schwinn fast back.  Better gear set than anything else in its price range.

That's awesome!!

Ball of Fury

Blackhawk down Undecided

ortho prescribed steroids . He doesn't believe in "massage therapy"

took a vacation day so I am gonna give running a shot

Do you need a referral for a chiro?  I didn't!

Do you need a referral for a chiro?  I didn't!

No but I think some insurances cover if there is a referral. Maybe not.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Indi - Great to hear, and if the bike thing is something that you will keep in your training regimen, then maybe its a blessing in disguise to get you to realize a bike could help even after your injury goes away.

Roll - What is your thought on the steroids? Do it because of the doctor's opinion even if you aren't 100% on board?

Ami - have fun in Chicago

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)