Sub-4 Marathon Group

May 2013 (Read 58 times)

Back from the long weekend out of town. Always nice to get away and spend time with family, but Memorial Day is always a little difficult since we lost my brother-in-law in Iraq in 2007. Thanks Indi, and everyone else who has served.

Sitting here watching the Red Wings/Blackhawks knowing I should go to bed, but really wanting to watch the 3rd period. Hmmm.....

Flinders - Totally missed that you were racing this weekend, awesome 3:31!

Simon - Congrats to your son, that has to be a great feeling helping him finish that 100 miler.

Indi - Sorry to hear about the setback

Sprinkles - happy belated b-day

DTF - Where do your relatives live? I go up there often, my wife's parents both grew up around Port Austin, so she has a lot of family there.  We normally stay at the mother-in-law's family's place about 0.5 miles east of town. In fact we got married at Lighthouse Park and had the after party at the Garfield. And I was also disappointing when it closed. I know M25 does have nice wide shoulders, at least East of M53, but I prefer to go south from there and run on the dirt roads with less traffic towards Kinde. Last year I did a flat, treeless, sunny, 20 mile long run to Kinde and back. My run Sunday was a random 11 miles, up the new piers, down the breakwall and back, around the parking lot there, west on M25 for a while and back again.

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

Smashy!!!

Simon, congrats to you and your son!

Flinders, congrats on the PR!

Mdawg, I'm not surprised by the game 6 loss. SJ is tough at home. I too am glad we've got home ice for 7.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Congrats Flinders! I'll read your RR today at some point.

Thanks, all!

Finished in 3:31:56.

Everything went pretty much perfectly.

indi - former navy too, but only did barely 4 yrs. Got out early to go back to school.

me - have not had time to post much with traveling for work and just being busy this weekend with family. Solid week last week with traveling with 65m last week. Ran 14m on SUnday and got pretty close to my hanson LR pace of 8:00. 8:04 overall. Most of run just under 8:00 and faded a bit towards end. Not bad considering I am few weeks out from actually starting my plan. It'll get better as I go here and adapt to runs. easy 8.75 this morning. Hoping to run a 5k on Saturday. Ran same 5k last year and won my AG, so need to defend my AG title.Smile

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Docket_Rocket

Morning! 5 and weights later, some with hubby. Welcome back, Nick.

Jedi, s'up?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Got in 5x1mile intervals this morning, 11 miles total. Excited that I only have one more 1/2 marathon related tough day left on Thurs, before a week and a half easy running before the race. Then its on to the 'easy' paces related to marathon speed.

FYI, if anyone uses band aids for anti-chafing nipple protection, I made the mistake of buying some cheap version yesterday. I didn't have any for the weekend, so I was starting to get a little irritation there. This morning, I didn't realize it, but one must have fallen off very early in my run, because when I got home I realized I had a bright red streak down the right side of my fluorescent yellow shirt. I just wonder what all of the people I said hi to this morning were thinking seeing that.

Roll - One more game, I decided to go to bed when it was 3-2, and I guess I am glad I did because my Facebook feed seemed to be completely filled with people complaining about the rest of the 3rd period. It is funny how quickly the sentiment changes because it seems like everyone around here assumes Chicago will win tomorrow night after the last 2 games.

Jedi - nice 65 miles, I have never gotten above 60

mdawg87

Good morning!  3 easy TM miles and abs at the gym.  Strength training tonight.  One positive about going back to work today was the easier commute.  With school being out and it being Memorial Day week, the normal Atlanta traffic nightmare wasn't quite as bad.  I am fortunate I live close enough to my office that I don't have to deal with it most of the time.

Nick/Roll:  Game 7 will be interesting.  I think Chicago has an edge due to getting the last change on home ice.  If they can keep Kronwall and Co. off of Toews and Co., I think Chicago wins.

cbus:  I hope to make it through the 1st period of Sharks/Kings tonight.  A 9:10 pm EST puck drop is just too late for me to see much of it.

jedi:  Nice mileage!

Docket:  Hope the migraine is gone.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Evening all.  Had a great day at the pool with another one to follow tomorrow.  Run was excellent this morning as well.  Ran 10 miles at The Silver Comet Trail.  It's the closest thing we have to flat terrain.  Lots of cyclists and runners out today.  I ran a 9:24 w/u mile with the other miles between 9:05 and 9:00.  Flats are a wonderful thing when you train on hills!

Ha, I would have been out there Sunday morning too, but I had a 5k on Memorial Day, so just did a slow 3 on the track locally.  I'll be back out there on the Silver Comet every Sunday morning from now on.

cmb4314

Hi all!  Been on vacation for a week so I just read about 10 pages to catch up

Congrats to Flinders and Sprinkles on the races!

I think I am getting very close to being able to run again.  Still a little bit stiff and sore, but I am walking pretty much normally and feel like I actually can jog a few steps (like, when trying to cross a road quickly) without any trouble.  I'm going on 4 months now since my last run and it's killing me, so I'm hoping the PT (who I see this evening) gives me clearance to do at least a little bit of run/walk in the near future.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Docket_Rocket

Thanks!  It is.  I was very dehydrated yesterday so I forced myself to drink as much as I could.  Today, after my chiro adjustment, everything is much better.

Good morning!  3 easy TM miles and abs at the gym.  Strength training tonight.  One positive about going back to work today was the easier commute.  With school being out and it being Memorial Day week, the normal Atlanta traffic nightmare wasn't quite as bad.  I am fortunate I live close enough to my office that I don't have to deal with it most of the time.

Nick/Roll:  Game 7 will be interesting.  I think Chicago has an edge due to getting the last change on home ice.  If they can keep Kronwall and Co. off of Toews and Co., I think Chicago wins.

cbus:  I hope to make it through the 1st period of Sharks/Kings tonight.  A 9:10 pm EST puck drop is just too late for me to see much of it.

jedi:  Nice mileage!

Docket:  Hope the migraine is gone.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

DetroitTigerFan

Has anyone heard from Josh ? - thought he was racing this weekend too ?

Me- just had to cancel my 8 mile run due to weather - first, weather was an hour away and it looks like the yellow/red edge of a cell may clip the edge of my city. Do I go to don't I go. (todays run was supposed to be 8 easy) Then a new cell developed where tornado warnings are involved and may hook over.  Then I wondered if I could hedge and run a 4 mile loop around my house, but now the weather is approaching - lol. So, oh well - I guess i'd rather be safe than to get a PR run time vs a tornado or magenta storms for that matter ! Smile

Nick - glad you had a good time in PA.  My relatives have places west of downtown - one by the state park - the other about 1/2 mile west on downtown. Garfield would be an awesome place for a wedding party ! For lack of food places, the only restaurant we go to now is one in Grindstone city east of PA - little restaurant/bar place with a dock. As for running, I've debated the M53 run from downtown going south, but i'm chicken of that traffic. The dirt roads sound good but I know what you mean about sun - 20 miles in farm country is a lot of sun out there and maybe some crazy wild farm dogs as I've seen - lol. I usually do 2 loops of the downtown area and head west on M25 and then turn back (16 miler last year) I only get up there 1 or 2 x per year but its a nice quick getaway. I saw the construction on the docks but didn't see the final product last year. I like the ice cream shop downtown - Blue Moon - that's like donuts for me -lol

uh oh - thunder rumbling - glad I didn't go out just now ! Smile

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Docket_Rocket

I only did 2.60 with hubby and called it the day.  Even with the chiro adjustment, the back is hurting so it's still inflammed.  Better to live to run another day.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

FYI, if anyone uses band aids for anti-chafing nipple protection, I made the mistake of buying some cheap version yesterday. I didn't have any for the weekend, so I was starting to get a little irritation there. This morning, I didn't realize it, but one must have fallen off very early in my run, because when I got home I realized I had a bright red streak down the right side of my fluorescent yellow shirt. I just wonder what all of the people I said hi to this morning were thinking seeing that.

Hmm.  I'm usually fine using the el cheapo drugstore brand bandaids.  Plasticy ones are better than cloth.

Docket: glad you're feeling better!

cmb:  Hope you had a good vacation!  Here's hoping that you'll be cleared to start running again!

DTF:  I've had those days where I'm antsy and want to go for a run but the weather is forcing me to stay inside.  Better safe than sorry, though, and an URD can be a blessing in disguise.

Me:  Post-race soreness is mostly in my AT/soleus and quads.  That means stairs and I are still not friends. Though it is better than it was yesterday.  I have some quality time with my foam roller this evening.

Happy running, all!

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

DTF - My wife ran a 5k on Belle Isle tonight. It started at 6:15, and then she finished just before the rain came. She called me telling me to not wait for her to put the kids to bed because she was stuck waiting out the downpour in the after-race beer tent! I really feel bad for her Smile

Flinders - well, I will give the cheapo band aids another shot. Maybe I just got a really bad brand with no adhesive?

cmb - great news about being about ready to run again, good luck

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Flinders - well, I will give the cheapo band aids another shot. Maybe I just got a really bad brand with no adhesive?

I've had good luck with CVS, but poor luck with Target (they're usually good for under 10M but tend to get overwhelmed in the swampy DC summers).

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

I've used moleskin for years.  I get a roll, 25' x 2".  It lasts forever.  I just snip off a bit with scissors, put a dab of Vaseline on the sensitive area and apply the moleskin.  It never comes off accidentally and is easy to remove when desired.  Least expensive and most comfortable solution I know of.