Sub-4 Marathon Group

May 2013 (Read 58 times)

RVD/Flinders - thanks for the tips. I think I will try the moleskin idea and see how that goes.

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

RVD/Flinders - thanks for the tips. I think I will try the moleskin idea and see how that goes.

By the way, I also use it for blisters the same way.  Just a dab of Vaseline on the blister to keep it from sticking there and then cover it with moleskin.

Docket_Rocket

Moleskin is the best!

Morning!  Back feels much better today, so 7 and weights planned. We'll see.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

mdawg87

Good morning!  SRD for me.  Tomorrow I think I'll do my last "hard" run prior to the June 8th HM.  Figure I'll just run easy miles until the race.  I really don't have any expectations on finishing time, but I'll definitely be racing it.  If this is not a good idea, someone please speak up!

cbus:  Go Kings go!  Now it's sit back and wait time.  I'm sure you're pulling for Detroit as that would give LA home ice advantage.

roll:  I'll be watching tonight.  Glad this one starts a little earlier than last night.  I didn't make it half way in that game.  Hope I can stay up for all of this one.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

jedigunnie26.2:  How do you handle the Hansons' "build ups" or "pickups?"  Often listed are 10 mile runs that say "Finish w/6x30 second build-ups."  I found something on the web once about it, but can't find it again.  It was something like three different heart rates.  My notes say that for me it was 121, 137 and 153, but I don't remember how I came to that. ( I can't hit 153 anyway.)  Plus, when each segment is only 10 seconds long one can't really use the heart rate monitor anyway to measure the heart rate because of lag time.

So, I gather that it is three different speeds, each one faster than the preceding, but I don't know how to determine what they should be.

Good morning!  SRD for me.  Tomorrow I think I'll do my last "hard" run prior to the June 8th HM.  Figure I'll just run easy miles until the race.  I really don't have any expectations on finishing time, but I'll definitely be racing it.  If this is not a good idea, someone please speak up!

I seem to have missed it.  What HM are you running?

mdawg87

I seem to have missed it.  What HM are you running?

I'm running the Bootlegger HM in Dawsonville on June 8th.  You can just guess why they named it that.  A friend of mine is doing it and asked me if I wanted to jump in.  I haven't raced since Chicago last year due to injury recovery so I figured why not.  Don't really know what to expect goal-time wise.  The website advertises that they changed the course to not as many hills this year.  Not sure what that means, but I don't expect it to be easy.  Guess I should post in the Big Board thread and have cbus put it down for me.

I'm running the Bootlegger HM in Dawsonville on June 8th.  You can just guess why they named it that.  A friend of mine is doing it and asked me if I wanted to jump in.  I haven't raced since Chicago last year due to injury recovery so I figured why not.  Don't really know what to expect goal-time wise.  The website advertises that they changed the course to not as many hills this year.  Not sure what that means, but I don't expect it to be easy.  Guess I should post in the Big Board thread and have cbus put it down for me.

You're running in the wrong place:  North Georgia = hilly, South Georgia = flat.

mdawg87

You're running in the wrong place:  North Georgia = hilly, South Georgia = flat.

I know.  I've been through there many times.  It's more for a fitness test and fun than any kind of PR hope.

5x1 mile is a tough workout, Nick. I suppose roughly 10k race pace?

Glad your migraine is gone Docket- I am so lucky, I have essentially no medical problems at all. Sometimes I forget what other people have to overcome.

The graph is punishing my laziness over the last three weeks by giving me the wide columns, mocking me, in fact!

I have also violated the "Your long run should be no more than x% of your weekly total" rule by doing only two runs last week, 10k and 40k, so the long run was 80% of the total. What a rebel!

May is always a bad month for me, likely because of gardening or something. Over the last 5 years I have averaged only 49 miles for the entire MONTH of May, and this year I have already done about 80 miles, so relatively speaking not a disaster. I may run a 5k or 10l on Canada Day, July 1st., but have not decided yet. It is in the pretty town of Barrie, through a park and past a marina on the shore of Lake Simcoe, but of course the whole town wants to walk the dog or child or whatever and will not get off the course just because those crazy runners think they are so damned important, so its not really a fast course, but an enjoyable event.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Rusk Runner

Nick - I always use liquid bandage.  It hasnt failed me yet, but I am sure it would not work for everybody.

Still whining about not being able to run and feeling like an idiot for pushing it too soon.  But it is what it is and I have to live with it.  Besides, I can whine to you guys without bothering anybody, right?!

Stopped at a bike shop and got shoes and clipless pedals to put on the bike after it gets delivered.  I figured I would get everything out of the bike that way.  Hopefully it wont cause me any accidents while going through the learning process.

Happy Running everyone!  You have my respect and envy!

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

RVD - from their 16wk plan it states:

"Build-ups are 200 meters (approximately) of increasing pace, so that the start is 85% and the last 75 meters are 95-100% effort. Recovery should be full between each."

jedigunnie26.2:  How do you handle the Hansons' "build ups" or "pickups?"  Often listed are 10 mile runs that say "Finish w/6x30 second build-ups."  I found something on the web once about it, but can't find it again.  It was something like three different heart rates.  My notes say that for me it was 121, 137 and 153, but I don't remember how I came to that. ( I can't hit 153 anyway.)  Plus, when each segment is only 10 seconds long one can't really use the heart rate monitor anyway to measure the heart rate because of lag time.

So, I gather that it is three different speeds, each one faster than the preceding, but I don't know how to determine what they should be.

me - overslept this morning so squeezed in  5m in the pea soup fog and legs felt pretty flat today, but ended up being a progression from 9:12-8:35, so I'll take that. Hoping to get another 4-5m in tonite amid kid activities.

Good running all!

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

RVD - from their 16wk plan it states:

"Build-ups are 200 meters (approximately) of increasing pace, so that the start is 85% and the last 75 meters are 95-100% effort. Recovery should be full between each."

me - overslept this morning so squeezed in  5m in the pea soup fog and legs felt pretty flat today, but ended up being a progression from 9:12-8:35, so I'll take that. Hoping to get another 4-5m in tonite amid kid activities.

Good running all!

Thanks for the info!

Hmmm.  This says the start is 85%.  Looks like I was using 75%, 85% and 95% (of my max heart rate).  So, I guess it should be 85%, 90% and 95%.  But, no point in using MHR anyway, because I could never get it up there, especially over only 200 meters.  There doesn't seem to be any good way to clinically measure the effort, so I guess it is just a "by feel" thing.  Namely, go fast, then faster, then about as fast as you can go.

cmb4314

So, my PT supposedly sent an email to my doctor detailing my progress and asking when I could start running, and I am very impatiently waiting the phone call I'm supposed to get.  Though, the PT only works Tues/Thurs/Fri, so I wouldn't be surprised if I don't get a call until tomorrow when she is back at the office.

I am "done" with PT in that she thinks I'm close enough to normal that there's nothing I need to come into the office for, which is good.  She's not going to officially discharge me for 6-8 more weeks just in case.  She's being very cool and is also going to have me come back for a running form evaluation once I can run for a few minutes nonstop, but she's going to charge it to my insurance as if it were ordered by the doctor for the ankle rehab, which is pretty sweet since I've hit my yearly out of pocket maximum, so the insurance is going to cover 100% of the bill.

Probably wouldn't run tonight anyway even if I had the go ahead - I had to leave work for an interview in the middle of the day, and ended up being gone for 3.5 hours (which is good I think - I don't think this guy would have talked to me for 2.5 hours if he hated me), so I have to stay extra late to try to get in all my hours for the week.  I was also up until 2AM prepping stuff for the interview (they gave me a freaking project to do before I came) so coffee is about all that is keeping me going at this point.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

SRD for me today.

Mdawg, Home ice will be important, but Detroit is/was so hot, I'm not sure it would be any easier beating them than Chicago.

Jedi, what does a typical week look like in the Hansons' 5k plan? Is it still two quality workouts and a LR? Is the weekly mileage equal to their HM or M plans?

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)