Sub-4 Marathon Group

May 2013 (Read 58 times)

Docket_Rocket

Hi, Cbus.

cmd, good news overall. Hope you get the call soon.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

mdawg; cbus: enjoy the rest!

cmb:  hope you get the call soon and can start running!

Docket, RV, Jedi, indy, NND, Simon: Hi!

Anyone else I missed: Hi to you, too!

Me:  I'm feeling better. ATs are still a bit achy as are quads.  I've been a bum, but I did walk home from my office after work today (~1.6 miles) because I was fidgety all day. I was able to feel that a lot of the stabilizer muscles in my ankles and knees are still sore.

I'm also sketching out my training for this summer; I'm probably going to give the Hansons a shot.  I've done a quasi-HH Int 1 and two WTF cycles, so we'll see if I have the discipline to follow a plan. 18 weeks out is mid-June, so I have a couple of weeks o recharge before I start all this over again. Smile

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

cbus - set-up same way, but decided not to do it and just focus on getting my base mileage up with some quality so I am rdy to go at start of July.

Hey all,

SRD for me today.

Mdawg, Home ice will be important, but Detroit is/was so hot, I'm not sure it would be any easier beating them than Chicago.

Jedi, what does a typical week look like in the Hansons' 5k plan? Is it still two quality workouts and a LR? Is the weekly mileage equal to their HM or M plans?

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Just popping in to say hi- was in meetings all day killing my feet so I had no time to check anything here. So glad to see CMB will probably be back with us soon!!! I did 3 slow treadmill miles that I bailed on because I hate the treadmill that much, especially when I'm not aiming at a very specific goal and its a necessary evil or something. I went to spin after that. Tomorrow is 90 minutes of spin for me.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Well good luck Roll and Cbus with the Western Conference finals. I couldn't stay up to watch the overtime last night, so I recorded it and watched it this morning. At least if the Red Wings were going to lose, the OT didn't last too long.

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

mdawg87

Good morning!  Ran a 7 mile HM pace run at the track this morning.  That's right, the track and not the TM on a weekday.  Unbelievable, right?  I decided to bite the bullet and get out there a little before 6am.  Ran a w/u mile at 9:38 followed by 8:10, 8:01, 7:57, 7:57, 7:49, and 7:41.  Pretty happy with those times.  Gives me confidence going into the hilly HM next weekend.

Nick/Roll:  Wow...what a game!  What did you think about the call that negated the Hawks goal late in the 3rd period?  Seemed kind of lame to me.  I gotta say I wanted to see LA vs. Chicago in the Western Conference Finals.  Although the Detroit match up would have been good too.

cbus:  Time to rise up and win a road game if the Kings want to play for the cup.  The Madhouse on Madison will be a tough place to win at.

cmb:  Yay for improvement!  Crossing my fingers you get to run soon!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have not run much this week due to my back.  Today is the first time it does not hurt so I am going to try a run and weight workout tonight.  Chiro OKd it.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Hey everyone.  I'm becoming a bit of a lurker again, so I thought I'd say hi.  Is there some kind of app where you can catch up on the forums while running?  Because I don't know how some of you have time for both.

It's kind of my runniversary.  I started being a "real" runner a year ago and got onto RWOL to learn about marathon training.  Runners are truly great people.  It's been a wonderful experience.

Ran 6 last night before racquetball.  Got home and spent time with DW.  With a very busy week, I was planning to move my LR to tonight, but DW had some last minute thing she wanted to pencil in.  So the only time for my LR was ths morning.  Got about 4.5 hours sleep and ran 16 this morning before work.  Tired.  But I guess it's now taper time!! Cool

DetroitTigerFan

I'm sitting here again waiting out red, magenta and other bright colors pass over the radar. This time I hear and see lightning so I better wait - not a good combination with a heart rate monitor - lol.  Last time I did this earlier this week, the weather I was watching totally missed my city - but a magenta color missed by only 4 miles - I guess I made the right move (or lack of a move - lol)

So Rain Delay for me !

roll - nick - mdawg - I think the best team won last night - it was fun to watch close hockey games for this series - it was entertaining. I was so tired last night I actually clicked the TV after the "goal" in the 3rd period thinking it was all over anyway in 2 minutes.  Then I find out 20 seconds after I did that, the goal was recalled - lol - i'm such a bandwagon hockey fan - lol !

nick - what are your thoughts on the weather this Sat ? 950 was saying Saturday should be "active" whatever that means.  Any different strategy in running if its a downpour or worse, etc.  I hope it hits later in the day.  Anyway, I hope we both have good safe weather this Sat for your big race and my 10K

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

DetroitTigerFan

Update - still sitting here - not sure if this run will happen today - wanted to run 3 hard to get acclimated to running in heat. All I need is 30 minutes - lol.   Which leads me to my question for you all

- What are your personal weather limits for running in precipitation? do you go out in yellow radar echos ?  do you try to time it to beat the bad weather ? run in downpours? do you still run but take off any heart rate / GPS / ipod devices ?

Smile

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

DTF - HA! Had to laugh at your, "wanted to run 3 hard to get acclimated to running in heat," comment. Well, I was hoping to run 8 tempo miles, and all I got to was 3 (with 6 rather slow miles for 9 total). I am definitely not acclimated to the heat yet. Really it was only 86, so I felt like such a wimp. Last week I felt great in the cold and rain, so I was hoping I was up for the challenge of more than 40deg warmer and humid, that is a big fat 'No'! I did screw up, not bringing a hat or water. I was about to start my run and the sky turned black and started to rain, but the rain only lasted for a few minutes, enough to just pump up the humidity and not really cool anything off. After that the rest of the run was sunny hot and humid. Felt fine for a little while, then I felt like I couldn't cool down even after I gave up on my fast pace and slowed down to a slow jog. I guess the answer is to run in the heat more, and hope that the races are cool!

As for your weather question, for me it depends. If I have time to try to wait for better weather, then I will. If I don't have the luxury of waiting, then I will pretty much go out in anything - unless it is freezing rain in the winter, don't have the motivation to get out in that. I find that once I get going, the rain feels nice in most cases. I did get caught in some hail last year running in Port Austin, but it was kind of fun to see the look of people driving by, wondering why someone might be running in that weather. I guess I haven't really had a recent situation where I was concerned about the lightning, if that was the situation maybe I would stay in. Oh, and I keep the GPS and HR monitor on - mine at least are fine in the rain. Don't use an ipod.

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Mdawg: nice 7 at a really fast pace

Docket: Hope your back feels better soon!

Darkstreets: Congrats on your runaversary!  Mine two-year runaversary is coming up on July 4 (my first race).

DTF: Sounds like you made the right move not going out in that.

Nick: well you know my feelings on heat during races - may your race be cool!

Me: 90 minutes of spin - 45 in the AM and 45 after work.  This morning the AC wasn't working, which felt like a nice reminder of the marathon I just finished.  Then I read Pfitz (re-reading before I start training Tuesday) and got to all the parts about how the heat needs more recovery and will slow you down.  Funny how I ignored them all before.  Glad to see so many people I know got into the NYC marathon.  Should be a good time!  Tomorrow's a rest day.  Saturday I have 8 and Sunday a 10k that I am not ready to race.

Got the Kinvara 3 to try out from RW for $50.  They run bigger than the mizunos which I'm not used to.  I'm going to take them out for a few strides later tonight when I walk the dog and see how I like them.  I think with lock lacing it'll be a good shoe.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

mdawg87

Good morning!  3 easy TM miles and weights at the gym.  Heard the weekend forecast a few minutes ago, and I quote..."partly cloudy, warm, hazy, and humid".  It will apply for the next 4-5 months in Atlanta.  I know that's year round for Docket down in Miami!

Weather related:  I'm more of a wimp than most of you, but only on the cold weather.  I'll run in the hot weather more than most, but that's because I HATE cold weather.  I mean HATE it!  I will run in very cold temps as long as there's no precip.  If it's raining, I'll be on the TM.  Not that I have any of these issues, but I wouldn't run in snow and ice.  Definitely do not run in lightning or violent rainstorms.

Sprinkles:  They close offices/businesses here if the AC doesn't work.  It's just too hot/humid to do without it.

Darkstreets:  Welcome back!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

bagopux

DTF - I'm not sure running 'hard' is the best way to get acclimated to the heat.  It will definitely stress your heart out, but not in a good way.  I think its smarter to ease into it.  Be careful.

As for rain, in the warmer months here we usually get the classic southern weather pattern of p.m. thunderstorms.  And in the summer, its too hot to run in the p.m. anyway, so I run in the morning when the rain is far less frequent.  But if there's some really nasty weather coming and I just need to run, I'll do one of two things.  I'll either go to the gym and run on the death-by-boredom machine, or I'll run outside but make sure I'm near the house when the rain is supposed to start and then I'll just do short loops and keep close to the house so that if it really gets heavy or dangerous I can just run back to the house quickly.  One time, I did get caught in a hail storm and had to seek shelter for a while under an overpass.  The rain itself, even if moderately heavy, doesn't really bother me.  Its the puddling and the mud that bother me.  And I definitely draw the line at lightning.  Also, I always wear a hat, which helps in the rain to keep my spectacles clear.  But even if you don't wear glasses, I think it would help to keep the rain from getting in your eyes.   If I'm expecting bad rain, I will keep the GPS on.  Its over 3 years old and showing its age, so if it went south it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.  But I definitely will leave the iPod home and take my old, rickety Sansa Clip, or just go music-less.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  5-6 miles tonight.

Busy day today.  BBL.

Damaris

Fundraising Page