Sub-4 Marathon Group

May 2013 (Read 58 times)

I definitely prefer rain over heat.  But I don't get very harsh storms in SoCal.  In the rainy season, I'll put my phone in a ziplock back and punch a tiny hole for the headphone plug.  The touchscreen works well enough through the bag plus the arm band.  Heat becomes a an issue because I've never carried water, and there aren't many drinking fountains on my typical routes.  So I end up pushing too many miles before hydration which can make for a crappy run.

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Did 10 easy yesterday and am getting ready to do 4 recovery.

Dark, happy runiversary!

Mdawg, you hit it on the head. On the bright side, we did win on the road against StL, so it can be done. But I think it'll either be Kings in 6 or Chi in 7.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Smashy!!!

Jedi, so in the 5k plan, what are the paces for the Tempo and Strength runs? And what's the distance of the LR? (I'm not asking for you; I'm asking for me.)

Ami, it looks like I struck out with the one affordable hotel in Cincy for the dates of the Flying Pig (assuming it's the first week of May). So, I'm probably not going to do it again this year. Sucks.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Congrats on reaching your first anniversary Dark Streets, and I wish you many more.

How many years have the rest of you been running?

I am coming up for 6 years in September though I only started keeping a log in January of 2008.

Never been a mileage guy, my biggest month was 296 kilometers- about 185 miles.

Hot and muggy today, at least by local standards, 5 miles at easy pace.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

How are you all? I've been MIA for a couple of days but still running. Still bummed that I can't make Shamrock with the FE.

Indi - take a pic of the bike. I hope to buy one in the next 6-9 months.

Onemile - please be safe in Uganda. #goodworkisgoodsoul

Ami - what's up run twin?

Simon - nice!

Ap4 & Strider - it's good to have y'all in the donut shop BTW

Detriot people - great series. Now who do you cheer for?

Cmb - great news about your progress. How did the interview go?

RVD - I am buying some moleskin. Just in case.

mdawg - grab some popcorn, this is gonna be a long series

dark - happy run anniversary

bags - is the hallux holding strong?

flinders - fully recovered?

docket - good news about your test

Josh - are you and nacho hanging out? How goes it?

its been about 6 yrs for me as well.

My shin is feeling better. My past two runs have been in 90+ heat with 96/98 heat index and the humidity was thick. Summer is moving in here. 8 tonight...sloowww.

How much more can Oklahoma handle. This is nuts.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

ap4

Roll- Thanks for the love. That heat is brutal! I start whining in the mid 70's and I grew up in Atlanta too.

Simon- It's been almost 2 years for me keeping with a schedule. Prior to that it was just enough not to get completely out of shape(<8-10 mpw, 2-3 runs a week).

Did a 9 mile run with 5 at HM pace+15-30 sec. Couldn't quite hit my HM pace this morning. I'm pretty sure it's my upping of the mileage and an impromptu tempo run 2 days ago as I was racing another random runner (they just didn't know it).  Got fitted at a LRS this afternoon and came home with a pair of Mizuno Wave Alchemy 12's. On to June!

Rusk Runner

It looks as if Sprinkles and I have something in common as my 2 year runaversary is July (first race). I actually started running about two or three weeks before that race.

Roll - I will do that.  I had the thing all assembled and was adjusting the brakes when I noticed the wheels serent true.  I loaded it up and took it to a local bike shop and should have it back today.  It was still a great deal for the price.  No way you are going to find a bike with the gearset I got for less than 700 ( which is still cheap when you get to looking),  Guy at the shop says I should be able to pick the bike up today.  I can hardly sait to take the thing for a ride. I cant really push myself on the bike through hills either due to the calf, but I can ride for fitness.

My calf feels okay but I can tell it really is not ready, and I am not going to push things this time.  Actually, when I do get to running again I am going to probably keep  the runs short and slow for a week or two.  I am really, really bumming about not running and knowing that I cant race in November.  I really have my goal aligned for the 50 miler in the Spring now.  CMB, I just dont know how you stayed so calm and collected. Hope your transition back is smooth.  You certainly deserve to have it that way.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Roll:  I'm mostly recovered. I think I'll try a run tomorrow to see how things go.

I started running in the summer of 2008 and ran intermittently until the summer of 2010 (some weeks 2-3 runs of 2-3 miles, other weeks nothing at all, etc.).  I had a six month hiatus in there in the first half of 2009.  I started running with serious application in the fall of 2010; runiversary, which I guess we're calling the first race, would be December 2010.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

mdawg87

Good morning!  Just back from 7 easy at an average 9:29 pace.  Just ran to comfort on my lovely Atlanta hills.  Wish it could stay like this all summer.  High of 85 today and partly cloudy, but relatively low humidity.  Alas, it will be soupy outside before too long.

Running history:  ran my first race on T-day 2008, so it's been about 4 and 1/2 years for me.  Prior to that I' run a few miles or do sprints/intervals for cardio work.

Roll/cbus:  Go Hawks!  Go Kings!  How's that for being fair?  Not sure who I favor in this series.  With Chicago having home ice, that would seem the logical choice, but Quick is playing so well it might not matter.  DH and I are going to settle in tonight to watch both games for sure.

Indi:  Glad you're enjoying the bike.  Just know that every day is a day closer to being fully recovered.  Cmb is definitely the poster child for proper recovery!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

mdawg87

Good morning!  Just back from 7 easy at an average 9:29 pace.  Just ran to comfort on my lovely Atlanta hills.  Wish it could stay like this all summer.  High of 85 today and partly cloudy, but relatively low humidity.  Alas, it will be soupy outside before too long.

Running history:  ran my first race on T-day 2008, so it's been about 4 and 1/2 years for me.  Prior to that I'd run a few miles or do sprints/intervals for cardio work.

Roll/cbus:  Go Hawks!  Go Kings!  How's that for being fair?  Not sure who I favor in this series.  With Chicago having home ice, that would seem the logical choice, but Quick is playing so well it might not matter.  DH and I are going to settle in tonight to watch both games for sure.

Indi:  Glad you're enjoying the bike.  Just know that every day is a day closer to being fully recovered.  Cmb is definitely the poster child for proper recovery!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

DetroitTigerFan

Dark Streets - good to hear from you.   I do the same with my nano - ziplock bag - I also tie a little knot in the cable to help with sweat dripping into the port. I also bought a little plastic do-dad that fits in the serial port to protect. It's funny how apple has no stuff to protect these things. I know you can buy those waterproof bags but they are obnoxiously large for the nano

Roll - As with baseball, I take a geographic view with all sports rooting. It Detroit fails, I default to the closest so i'm on board with Chicago - lol ! I may convert to a hockey fan if I see Valverde blow any more saves for the Tigers - 2 Hr's given up in the 9th - really???? Smile

Bago - thanks for the advice as always.  I find for racing 10K's a little 2-3 miler hard run mid week gets gears going for me- not sure why. Someone else does that on this site but I forget who. I go off of max but on effort - so i'm only doing what i'm capable of otherwise I slow down. I usually take 1 mile to really warm up anyway. I know the fast starts in mile 1 aren't good for ya, but I start slower and build up to target speed by the end of mile 1. I agree with you on the lightning

Indy - hope you feel better soon. I wish I could offer some advice but it sounds like you're taking the right approach - hang in there

Nick - how did you do today ! Smile

Me - finished my 10K in 49:22 - not a PR which is fine as i'm early in training.  However I was 30 seconds better than last year. This year 95% humidity. Last year 60% humidity so i'm happy.  It looked to be a rain out early but there was no lightning and I could have run in yellow radar echos anyway.  Check out the weather photo on my link below.  However, it stopped just as I got there. They had the 5K and 10K start together which created more traffic this year. Do any of you play mental games as you near the finish?  This year to distract myself I picked out telephone poles as check points on the last mile to manage my pace - just a quick look down at the watch pace level to make sure I was under 8:00. Somehow this helped me get to the finish line strong and not slow up

Also - how many of you have issues with race distances that aren't perfect. My GPS once loaded into Running Ahead shows 6.3 miles and an avg pace of 7:58.  However, looking at the mile splits the clear avg is 7:51. Really interesting. Do you usually correct you mileage down to 6.2 ?

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Also - how many of you have issues with race distances that aren't perfect. My GPS once loaded into Running Ahead shows 6.3 miles and an avg pace of 7:58.  However, looking at the mile splits the clear avg is 7:51. Really interesting. Do you usually correct you mileage down to 6.2 ?

GPS will never be spot on the race distance, mostly because how certified courses are measured, i.e. along the tangents of curves, and how the GPS measures where you are.  Most people won't run the tangents perfectly, so you'll generally run a bit farther than the certified distance.  I usually worry when the GPS shows the course to be short, because that means it likely was.  But even on a course with few curves and tangents, my watch usually will be about .05-.2 long.  In my log, I correct the distance down to the race distance (10k, etc.) no matter what the Garmin said.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  Sorry for the lateness but I Just got home.  I stayed in bed and decided tod o a short morning run.  I got clipped by an asshole (not major, just an asshole that does not look while making a U-Turn).  If it wasn't for the fartleks, I would be splat on the pavement.  Oh, well.  More miles later with hubby, and weights.  5K tomorrow (Wait, what?)

SimonR, I have been running for 14-15 years.  However, I consider my REAL running years to have started in 2008, since that's the time I started running more than 1 mile and tracking everything.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Hi, guys.  Sorry for the lateness but I Just got home.  I stayed in bed and decided tod o a short morning run.  I got clipped by an asshole (not major, just an asshole that does not look while making a U-Turn).  If it wasn't for the fartleks, I would be splat on the pavement.  Oh, well.  More miles later with hubby, and weights.  5K tomorrow (Wait, what?)

SimonR, I have been running for 14-15 years.  However, I consider my REAL running years to have started in 2008, since that's the time I started running more than 1 mile and tracking everything.

Clipped while running? Holy moly. Be careful lady. I have had plenty if close calls and even banged on a few vehicles. Good to know you're okay. You may hav some soreness tomorrow.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

bagopux

I usually do not correct the distance because if I did, it would not compare on even terms with training runs.  For some runs, my GPS will be noticeable off due to satellite issues.  On those occasions, I'll go to Google Earth or Map My Run and check on the distance and correct it.  But that's the only times I'll correct the GPS distance.