Sub-4 Marathon Group

May 2013 (Read 58 times)

onemile

Indi - did you see, Amik and I are planning to run Carmel next spring.  It's half price right now - $37 for the full and 30 for the half.

White Lightning

Great day up here.  Spent most of the day on the river fly fishing until it got too windy then went out for a real easy 5 miles at 9:30.  Now off to my fire pit with a couple of beers and some friends.  Today is how everyday is meant to be

Play the Game Hard!

Great day up here.  Spent most of the day on the river fly fishing until it got too windy then went out for a real easy 5 miles at 9:30.  Now off to my fire pit with a couple of beers and some friends.  Today is how everyday is meant to be

Flyfishing? I thought I was the only fly fisherman here. Sweet.

ami - I sent you a message on FB. Not sure it went through. I am Chris on there. Just FYI

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

DetroitTigerFan

A few "deep thoughts" questions for you all:

- Do you rotate shoes?  how many pairs do you rotate at one time ? is it any better to rotate 3 at a time vs only 2 ?

- You hear about "running on tired legs".  So, is running on tired legs the same as running tired...on fresh legs ?

Smile

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I rotate a lot of shoes.  I think it's better to rotate 3 than 2 because it gives two days for the shoes to rest.

You can be fresh and not tired but have tired legs.  Otherwise, you are just tired.

A few "deep thoughts" questions for you all:

- Do you rotate shoes?  how many pairs do you rotate at one time ? is it any better to rotate 3 at a time vs only 2 ?

- You hear about "running on tired legs".  So, is running on tired legs the same as running tired...on fresh legs ?

Smile

Damaris

Bagopux- hat trick!  (Being quoted three times.)

I am another of the slower hobby joggers without much genetic talent. Definitely no speed, I cannot break 83 seconds for 400 meters, but good enough endurance that my pace for my 10k PB and half marathon PB are the same! That's weird...

I agree you have to run because you like running- that and the health benefits.

Very little running for me this week, race on Sunday- its going to be warm which definitely does not suit me.

Meh.  I've run 20+ marathons and I realized a while ago that the chances of me ever BQ'ing are slim to none no matter how hard I train.  IMO, at some level or after some time, you have to run just because you like running.  If you are finding your lack of speed to be terribly depressing, you need to reorient yourself.  Some people just don't have the genes but that doesn't mean you can't do the best you can and be deeply satisfied that you did something very challenging and did your best at it.

Had some lingering pain in my right foot but x-rays were negative.  Doc says its just tendonitis.  With proper treatment it should be right as rain in a couple of weeks, which is good because I've got my Hudson plan for MCM all ready and it kicks off in about three weeks.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

I rotate 3 right now.

6 miles tonight

8:04

7:51

7:59 wind caught up to me-20/25mph winds

7:45

7;38

7:12

A small dog chased me while trying to bite at me ankles from mile 5 until about 5.3. I almost strained a calf trying to scare that little sucker away. #irratatedbriefly

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Jedi- I am starting to focus on more speedwork now that I have a better base than I have had in the past, and I think it really helps.  Once this training cycle is over and I'm recovered from the marathon, I intend to show up at team speed workouts, even if they displace a Pfitz run now and then, I just like to be careful with injury.  I used to run everything too fast and got myself in trouble.

Shamrock talk - I'm thinking that I might do the half.  I'm deferred until 2014 for Poconos, so a March 17 half is exactly what I need.  Did you all register?  I've done the two other big halves that weekend: DC and NYC, so it might be nice to try something else.  Plus, I have never been to VA beach and I like to travel!

Facebook- I am Jennifer S. on there if you want to find me.

Tomorrow: AM Spin, then 5 in the PM scheduled.  Planning on 4 for Saturday and then pacing the half on Sunday.  I'm nervous about all those people entrusting their goal time to me.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Wow! Four new pages since last night?

Thanks everyone for talking me out of running at tempo pace today. I still did 11 miles because I stubbornly want to hit 50 miles this week (even if it turns out to hurt my time on Sunday), but I kept them slow.

I love Thai food

Akalei - Oops, sorry... I guess I meant, um, Of course you can BQ there is no question that you can't. But of course you should give yourself more time Smile

Indi - Congrats on the new position!

josh - awesome day

DTF - I rotate 3 or 4 pairs of shoes. I bought a few pairs of shoes that were on sale last year, and want to make sure I get my money out of them.

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

ap4

You guys are sure busy!

Glad to see everybody's planning their future races.    Guess I'm a bit of a homebody, but I kind of like sleeping in my own bed and there are at least 6-7 marathons within an hour or two's drive of me.  It'll probably take me a couple of years to see if I even have a prayer of BQ'ing.  Right now, I'm 40 minutes off which seems like a mountain.  Of course, I never ran a sub 8 minute mile in high school, so this is all new to me.  I seem to rather enjoy plodding along at my own speed in the wee hours of the morning.  So for now, the training's as much fun as the racing.

Re: shoe rotation.  Currently 3 pairs.  2 x Mizuno Inspire 8's and 1 x Asics GT-2160.  Spaced about 100-200 miles apart.  I usually retire a pair to work shoe status after 400 miles.  I still spend a good amount of time on my feet so still need some life left in them.

WOTD- 3.4 miles, easy peasy as Jedi said.  Smile

Ball of Fury

Flyfishing? I thought I was the only fly fisherman here. Sweet.

ami - I sent you a message on FB. Not sure it went through. I am Chris on there. Just FYI

I guess it didn't go through?  I have you on my friends list but no message.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

I guess it didn't go through?  I have you on my friends list but no message.

the message was letting you know it was Rollcast from the donut shop and not some creeper. Cool

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Sprinkles - running all your runs too fast is very common. i used to be same way when i first started but have really embraced running easy on easy days and hard on quality days. I will say taking an entire season off from marathon training has really worked out well for me and really improved my running fitness from where I was 5 months ago. That said i am itching to crank it back up and jump back into the deep end of the running pool.Smile

Jedi- I am starting to focus on more speedwork now that I have a better base than I have had in the past, and I think it really helps.  Once this training cycle is over and I'm recovered from the marathon, I intend to show up at team speed workouts, even if they displace a Pfitz run now and then, I just like to be careful with injury.  I used to run everything too fast and got myself in trouble. 

Morning Donuts! last run before race this morning. Another easy peasy 3.2m with 5x strides at the end. 3m is such a tease, but ready to go. Thanks for all the support and encouragement.

Anyone looking for me on FB my name is Billy Gunn.

onemile - where is Carmel? Hmmm...

DTF - I never used to rotate shoes, but started about a year ago. Currently 5 pairs in rotation right now. All Mizuno (Rider16, Precision12, precision13, Musha4, and Ronin4) and one pair of ASICS Nimbus 13 is till run recovery runs in.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

onemile

It's north of Indianapolis.  Good race.  I'm not sure if I'll do the full or half but signed up for the full since you can switch up until the expo at no cost.

onemile - where is Carmel? Hmmm...

It's north of Indianapolis.  Good race.  I'm not sure if I'll do the full or half but signed up for the full since you can switch up until the expo at no cost.

Oh....  I was always thinking it was Carmel, California which is a bit south of the Bay area.