Sub-4 Marathon Group

Help a brotha out. ITB issue (Read 25 times)

ITB issues are new to me. I am assuming the dull pain on the outside of my right knee after an hour/next day would be and ITB issue. Soreness seems to on the side of my knee and massaging above and below the outside of the knee seems to bring some relief.

my question is, what stretches are you all using, pre run and post run, to curb flare ups? I youtubed some stretches but would rather hear from peeps I know are knowledgeable.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

onemile

Forget stretching and get a nice HARD "foam" roller.  Mine is a sort of hard cardboard. Much harder than any foam deal. Roll out several times a day including before and after running.  a PVC pipe or rolling pin will do.

ITB issues are new to me. I am assuming the dull pain on the outside of my right knee after an hour/next day would be and ITB issue. Soreness seems to on the side of my knee and massaging above and below the outside of the knee seems to bring some relief.

my question is, what stretches are you all using, pre run and post run, to curb flare ups? I youtubed some stretches but would rather hear from peeps I know are knowledgeable.

Rolling pin....genius. I can do that.

Should that classify this as part of th recipe thread Cool

onemile

Rolling pin....genius. I can do that.

Should that classify this as part of th recipe thread Cool

If you can do it without dropping the F-bomb, you get extra credit.

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

And if that doesn't make you scream...Graston will!

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

DetroitTigerFan

If you can do it without dropping the F-bomb, you get extra credit.

LMAO !!!!!

i have the big roller and sometimes that stings - i dont know how you folks do it with the smaller pin rollers - its all comfortable until you get near the knees - lol - like diving into cold water Smile

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

bagopux

Couple of things here.

First, definitely +1 on the foam roller.  The ITB is really long.  Although the pain usually manifests around the knee -- I've had it there -- my understanding is that best place to stretch it out is up toward the thigh.  I'm not even sure if you can stretch it very much at the knee.

Second, before you run, while standing, pull the knee up so the upper leg is about at a right angle to your torso.  Then with your opposite hand, grab the outside of the raised knee and pull it across your body.  Do that about 10 times with each leg to loosen up the ITB at the hip a little.  Got that one from a PT when I was having ITB issues.

Also, do the dixie cup ice treatment 2x a day until the soreness goes away.  And shorten your stride some.  The worst ITB pain I ever had (and it really really hurt) was at the end of a 15-mile high pace run when my legs were tired and I was trying to maintain my pace.  I was lazy and lengthened my stride instead of maintaining a high cadence.  Big mistake.

Hope that helps.

Good luck.

(BTW, in my avatar picture, I've got an ice bag on my knee after the Shamrock Marathon. That was about 4 weeks after my ITB pain and just after completing PT for my ITB.)

Thanks Bago !!!!!

Smashy!!!

Roll,

I've had long bouts with ITBS on both sides. The pain is usually on the lateral side of the knee, and only manifests when running. In my case, stretching was of no use. The best form of treatment was consistent foam rolling. I got the Trigger Point Grid, which is much harder than the ones entirely of foam. I'd roll once in the morning and once at night, and then before and after a run. But once it got bad, the roller didn't help anymore, and I had to go get Graston done.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)