Sub-4 Marathon Group

August 2013 (Read 41 times)

mdawg87

Good morning!  10 TM miles with 2x3 miles and 1 mile recoveries.  Strength training tonight.

RVD:  I think you're far enough out from Chicago that if you want to do the race, you can.  I would consider the HM the replacement for the 18 miler on Sunday, do 8 easy Sunday, and add the missing 5 miles (if you want to) to other workouts during week as extra w/u or c/d miles.  However, knowing Hansons, they would suggest you skip the race.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

RVD:  I think you're far enough out from Chicago that if you want to do the race, you can.  I would consider the HM the replacement for the 18 miler on Sunday, do 8 easy Sunday, and add the missing 5 miles (if you want to) to other workouts during week as extra w/u or c/d miles.  However, knowing Hansons, they would suggest you skip the race.

Actually, I was thinking that the HM would replace the preceding Thursday's 3wu+8MP+3cd.  Then I would do an easy run on Sunday.  It just so happens that I'm off that Monday, so could actually drive to the Silver Comet and do my LR.  If I just shift every workout that week by one day I can get back on schedule the following Sunday.

Docket_Rocket

Sounds like if you can arrange the schedule a bit, you can.  Is this to see whether your paces are spot on?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

And morning!  8 X 400m tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Sounds like if you can arrange the schedule a bit, you can.  Is this to see whether your paces are spot on?

Actually I think it is just because I'm bored.  I have a 5k this Saturday and the half (Alien Half Marathon) next Saturday.  I don't think I can actually use it to test my MP because it will be too hot.  It starts at 7:00 PM and finishes in the dark.  I will probably start out at MP, but if I start feeling too hot I'll just turn it into a fun run.  This half has these neat shirts with an alien head on them, and similar stickers.  I put one of the stickers on my suitcase last year to make it easier to find on an airport carousel .

Docket_Rocket

Then, do it if the weather is right, but just don't race it unless you have a purpose.  You could make it into part of your 18 miler if the weather is nasty.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Rusk Runner

With the amount you are already running I would just slip it in there and let the MP effort replace the earlier scheduled MP run.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

mdawg87

Hansons SRD Wednesday for me.

RVD:  What did you decide?

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  6 miles tonight.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Hansons SRD Wednesday for me.

RVD:  What did you decide?

I'm registered.  My pace will depend on the weather.  I'll do Saturday's Hansons of 8 easy miles with 6 pickups on Thursday, probably cut back Friday from 8 easy to maybe just 3.  For the half everything will be temperature dependent.  If the weather is OK, I'll just try marathon pace (9:00).

A guy from a RWOL thread who is coming down from TN to do it would like me to pace him to a 2:05 if I decide to give up on the marathon pace.  That would be 9:33 per mile, but would probably need 9:25 because of non-optimal tangents, etc, etc.  He is also doing Chicago (Hey D_R, another lawyer!) and wants to get into the first wave where D_R and I are.  So, I'll either try MP or try to be a "pacer."  :-)

I can run Monday's 8 miles on Sunday and since I'm off on Monday I can trudge out to the Silver Comet and do my regularly scheduled LR of 18 miles.  I'll be shifted a day off all that week, but will get back on schedule that Saturday.

Anyway, it is something to break up the monotony and I like their shirts and other bling.  :-)  When I did it last year I actually also did a 5k that same morning.  I'm foregoing the 5k this year.  (That was the Vinings Downhill 5k.)

DetroitTigerFan

Hello all - did 6 recovery in heavy rain - squishy shoes after 2 miles - my shirted weighed a lot and tried to wring it out - glad it was a recovery run only - it poured and poured and then was sunny and raining Smile

Re: RVD's comment on tangents - does anyone have advice to minimize this impact ? Last year, my GPS showed 26.4 for my race and i'm wondering if that could account for as much as 2 minutes of the time.  Are you supposed to run right down the middle 100% of the time or do you indy car it and cut all the corners (shortest distance between 2 points,etc)

Paula - I had to switch my Pfitz weeks so i'll catch my plan up to yours in another week- so I have to do 16 with 10 at MP after work on Thurs since i'm busy all weekend and unable to run - uggg - I usually run them on weekend in morning but just cant this weekend

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Rusk Runner

9.2 miles @ 9:04 avg pace.  Went out and played on the hills tonight.  Other than the heat/humidity which had me drenched in sweat most of the run, I had a good time.  No pain or soreness and my stride and breathing feel good.

Boy, FB has really slowed this forum down.  I am in for the long haul folks!

That sounds like a cool race, RVD.  I will be running a half with a buddy of mine in a few weeks.  It will be the first time I ever participated in a race where I will be running far below the pace that I am capable of doing.  It will be a good learning experience and I hope to have a good time.

Just Run!!!

Rusk Runner

DTF - Indy car it the whole way.

Just Run!!!

Hello all - did 6 recovery in heavy rain - squishy shoes after 2 miles - my shirted weighed a lot and tried to wring it out - glad it was a recovery run only - it poured and poured and then was sunny and raining Smile

Re: RVD's comment on tangents - does anyone have advice to minimize this impact ? Last year, my GPS showed 26.4 for my race and i'm wondering if that could account for as much as 2 minutes of the time.  Are you supposed to run right down the middle 100% of the time or do you indy car it and cut all the corners (shortest distance between 2 points,etc)

Paula - I had to switch my Pfitz weeks so i'll catch my plan up to yours in another week- so I have to do 16 with 10 at MP after work on Thurs since i'm busy all weekend and unable to run - uggg - I usually run them on weekend in morning but just cant this weekend

The course is measured in the shortest possible way it can be run.  In fact, in the Berlin Marathon, they actually have a green stripe that corresponds to the shortest path, cutting all the tangents.  Run the shortest distance you can.  That is the way it is measured.  If you take wide turns you will be adding lots of time/distance.

7 Monday and 5 yesterday. Both slow. Hip has been starting to act up a bit. Changing my stretching routine. SRD for me today. Cheers donuts!

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27