Sub-4 Marathon Group

August 2013 (Read 41 times)

DTF - Remind me what your goal time is again. Those VO2max workouts seem daunting but worth it.

MDawg - how are the legs feeling, energy wise?

Paula - 20!!!! in the books

I am on day 4 of no running. The wife probably wants me to rent an apartment until I am back to running. This hip stuff blows!!!!

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  6 miles tonight.

I forgot my asthma medication this morning.  Hope I don't screw up my run tonight due to that.  I need to use it as soon as I get home if I want to run with any meds.  Grrrrr.

Glad to see everybody's training is going well.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

mdawg87

DTF - Remind me what your goal time is again. Those VO2max workouts seem daunting but worth it.

MDawg - how are the legs feeling, energy wise?

Paula - 20!!!! in the books

I am on day 4 of no running. The wife probably wants me to rent an apartment until I am back to running. This hip stuff blows!!!!

Legs are feeling fine.  Just like I've said before, never fully recovered, but recovered enough to complete the next work out.  I'm the rolling, stretching, icing, etc. queen.  The last two weeks (including marathon week) are 50 mile weeks, but the last 9-10 days before the marathon are all easy miles. I probably won't know what to do with all that energy during taper!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

indy - I think I was responding to the wrong post because I was on my iPad.

Paula - getting the 20 done must feel good!

Rollcast- I hear ya on the whining when not running.  I've been so grouchy about missing just one run, part of me is tempted to go out and do it even though  Iknow I shouldn't "make up miles." Being injured is like that MAGNIFIED.

Docket- Asthma bad in FL these days? We got ragweed here now - blech.

Me - Feeling super guilty about missing my long run yesterday because of travel and sleep.  I'm still tired.  I don't think I should make up the miles though, especially not with me staring down this week of highest-mileage ever.   I have to make sure I'm eating right too - I recently found out I can't eat breads and wheat products because of my stomachaches. Blah.  So that definitely changed my way of race fueling.  That said, I'm not bloated anymore and I can finally see my abs/zip my pants despite not losing any weight.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

indy - I think I was responding to the wrong post because I was on my iPad.

Paula - getting the 20 done must feel good!

Rollcast- I hear ya on the whining when not running.  I've been so grouchy about missing just one run, part of me is tempted to go out and do it even though  Iknow I shouldn't "make up miles." Being injured is like that MAGNIFIED.

Docket- Asthma bad in FL these days? We got ragweed here now - blech.

Me - Feeling super guilty about missing my long run yesterday because of travel and sleep.  I'm still tired.  I don't think I should make up the miles though, especially not with me staring down this week of highest-mileage ever.   I have to make sure I'm eating right too - I recently found out I can't eat breads and wheat products because of my stomachaches. Blah.  So that definitely changed my way of race fueling.  That said, I'm not bloated anymore and I can finally see my abs/zip my pants despite not losing any weight.

winning!!

Yes, it feels great to have a 20 miler done.  I'm not terribly sore today either, which is a great sign.

You are doing the right thing not making up the miles.  It's perfectly fine to miss a day or two here and there in your training.  But I understand how you feel, wanting to get them all in.

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)

Smashy!!!

hey all,

So a discussion question. Let's talk plans. Most of us are following plans pretty strictly. But we all know plans are canned, and not specifically designed for the individual. What are you guys' opinions about modifying the plans you are on. Not just to fit races in, but to get more of something or a little less of something, cutting mileage back, adding mileage on, etc.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

hey all,

So a discussion question. Let's talk plans. Most of us are following plans pretty strictly. But we all know plans are canned, and not specifically designed for the individual. What are you guys' opinions about modifying the plans you are on. Not just to fit races in, but to get more of something or a little less of something, cutting mileage back, adding mileage on, etc.

As long as it fits the intention of the over all method. My example is that Hansons want cumulative fatigue and Pfitz wants LRs and HH its own method. As long as it follows the intention of the plan, I think catering it to your individual needs is actually a bit more conducive to not getting frustrated or discouraged. IMO.

Rusk Runner

In getting to know yourself as a runner, you are going to eventually start coaching yourself.  Canned plans cannot possibly fit every individual. Cbus, I would recommend that you read Hudson's "Run Faster".  He is more about you tailoring a program to your needs.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

DetroitTigerFan

Paula - nice job on the 20 and the weekly record ! My first 20 is this weekend - then our schedules will be back in sync Smile

Roll - my goal is 4:00 hr.  My plan is like last year - run first 20 at 9:09 and then go from there. My training plan says I will be prepared for 3:50 by race day and I am hitting my paces now.  However, my plan said I was prepared for 3:50 last year too and I came in at 4:07 - lol.  Last year I ran at least 10 seconds better than 4 hr pace for the first half.  During the race I took that for a good thing, thinking - wow - I am more prepared than what I planned and i'll crush my time. However - doh ! - I was wrong. Everyone is telling me to hold that 9:09 perfectly this year. I also weigh less this year and have been trying to add 10% more mileage via a Sunday recovery run. I hope this formula adds up to sub 4.  I have a HM tune up race in Sept that will be insightful

Cbus - i'm for customization as long as it makes sense.  I'm adding a Sunday recovery run to increase miles to Pfitz. I have rotated weeks a few times.  I've also banned tune up races within 3 weeks of my marathon which differs from Pfitz

All - had a running dream again - had a dream that the 20,000 people for my race were lined up and that a 1/2 mile down the road, they scheduled another full marathon - going in the exact opposite direction. I woke up mad at the traffic and me ducking from collisions - lol.  Then I had a part 2 where somehow I lost the bite valve from my camelpak and was asking random people if I could borrow theirs for the rest of the race, since having one was better than having it uncapped- lol - it's gross as I would never consider ever doing that, plus I don't use my camelpak for runs over 13 miles - lol !

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

hey all,

I tend to look at the plans as somewhere around a helpful suggestion.   I think adding or subtracting mileage  can work, so long as you do it intelligently and don't take away from the intention of the plan.  For example, if in the Hansons' Advanced plan, the point  is to develop cumulative fatigue, so if you wanted to take an extra rest day or to cut back some mileage, the Friday or Saturday before the LR is probably not the day to skip or cut back, but skipping one of the three easy days on the easy weekend is probably fine.  For Higdon, his plans are a variation of cumulative fatigue, but he gets there through weekend  loading (rather than faster paces like the Hansons), so with those, you wouldn't want to cut the weekend stuff back. I haven't pondered the other guys enough to know what their main emphasis is.

I add runs when I can get them in.  I like the short runs as a mental break, and they act as something of an insurance policy so that I can keep up the overall weekly mileage if something comes up later in the week that impacts my ability to run.

In general, I think that before you mess with the workouts, you need to know the specific purpose of the workout, and what your change to the workout will do.  As part of this consideration, know how you individually respond to workouts.  For example, if have 400 repeats at mile pace, but know you run the risk of breaking down with intense speedwork, then a modification is to drop the pace to 5K or 10K pace so that you can complete the workout with less injury risk.  The main purpose of the workout would be VO2 max improvement; the modification would still get you some improvement, but not as much as the original workout.

But that being said, I also tend to think that you can replace certain types of workouts with others given what you respond better to  (replacing shorter intervals with longer intervals; adding goal pace segments to longer runs, etc.).  But the caveat to this is that you do need to spend some time working on weaknesses to improve overall, so don't ditch a certain type of workout entirely. The flip side of this is not to neglect your strengths if you are adding more of a certain type of workout to address a weakness.  But keep in mind a general guideline of no two hard days in a row, and max three quality days per week.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

In getting to know yourself as a runner, you are going to eventually start coaching yourself.  Canned plans cannot possibly fit every individual. Cbus, I would recommend that you read Hudson's "Run Faster".  He is more about you tailoring a program to your needs.

I second the Hudson suggestion; I haven't though through his approach for fulls, because I bought the book for his shorter race guidelines (5K and up) were I to decide to go in that direction in a later training cycle.  All I really retain from his plans are "run hills."

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Smashy!!!

This is great stuff, Flinders--thanks!

I tend to look at the plans as somewhere around a helpful suggestion.   I think adding or subtracting mileage  can work, so long as you do it intelligently and don't take away from the intention of the plan.  For example, if in the Hansons' Advanced plan, the point  is to develop cumulative fatigue, so if you wanted to take an extra rest day or to cut back some mileage, the Friday or Saturday before the LR is probably not the day to skip or cut back, but skipping one of the three easy days on the easy weekend is probably fine.  For Higdon, his plans are a variation of cumulative fatigue, but he gets there through weekend  loading (rather than faster paces like the Hansons), so with those, you wouldn't want to cut the weekend stuff back. I haven't pondered the other guys enough to know what their main emphasis is.

I add runs when I can get them in.  I like the short runs as a mental break, and they act as something of an insurance policy so that I can keep up the overall weekly mileage if something comes up later in the week that impacts my ability to run.

In general, I think that before you mess with the workouts, you need to know the specific purpose of the workout, and what your change to the workout will do.  As part of this consideration, know how you individually respond to workouts.  For example, if have 400 repeats at mile pace, but know you run the risk of breaking down with intense speedwork, then a modification is to drop the pace to 5K or 10K pace so that you can complete the workout with less injury risk.  The main purpose of the workout would be VO2 max improvement; the modification would still get you some improvement, but not as much as the original workout.

But that being said, I also tend to think that you can replace certain types of workouts with others given what you respond better to  (replacing shorter intervals with longer intervals; adding goal pace segments to longer runs, etc.).  But the caveat to this is that you do need to spend some time working on weaknesses to improve overall, so don't ditch a certain type of workout entirely. The flip side of this is not to neglect your strengths if you are adding more of a certain type of workout to address a weakness.  But keep in mind a general guideline of no two hard days in a row, and max three quality days per week.

Smashy!!!

Flinders and Indi, I've got Hudson on the "to read" list. I was thinking about Hudson for 5k training. I also want to read Daniels. I may end up reading both before 5k training, and combining their ideas.

DTF - that's my game plan as well. Weird dream, I used to dream that I couldn't use my armI. In any situation, running, boxing, eating etc.

This is great stuff, Flinders--thanks!

That's what I said but longer. Soooo, I agree.

White Lightning

I'm following Daniels 5k to 15k to work on my speed and mechanics with Hudson's idea of hill sprints to make you stronger and it seems to be working really well.  I really like Daniels because he lays out what quality you need for the week and you fill in your mileage for the other days.  Before each run I re-read the chapter on the type of run I'm doing for the day to remind myself why I'm doing it.  When I was following Pfitz I pushed through a run even though I wasn't' feeling it and eventually broke down.  

My goal right now is to become a much faster runner so when winter comes, I don't have to spend as much time outside or on the TM to get my miles in and will be ready for a knock it out of the park marathon cycle for next summer/fall <crosses fingers>

Play the Game Hard!