Sub-4 Marathon Group

August 2013 (Read 41 times)

Smashy!!!

This sounds awesome! Josh, it's really great to see you back at it. I agree with you about Pfitz. I feel there is a lot of ambiguity in Advanced Marathoning, which makes workouts unclear-- at least to me. When I get some free time, I'm gonna sit down with Daniels and Hudson.

I'm following Daniels 5k to 15k to work on my speed and mechanics with Hudson's idea of hill sprints to make you stronger and it seems to be working really well.  I really like Daniels because he lays out what quality you need for the week and you fill in your mileage for the other days.  Before each run I re-read the chapter on the type of run I'm doing for the day to remind myself why I'm doing it.  When I was following Pfitz I pushed through a run even though I wasn't' feeling it and eventually broke down.  

My goal right now is to become a much faster runner so when winter comes, I don't have to spend as much time outside or on the TM to get my miles in and will be ready for a knock it out of the park marathon cycle for next summer/fall <crosses fingers>

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Rusk Runner

GOOOOOOOOD Morning Donuts!!

7 @ 8:27 avg pace.  Gotta get ready for work!

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

Sheesh!  You guys were busy last night!

sprinkles, I forgot my asthma meds so my chest was the culprit.

I have 3 X 800m intervals tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

mdawg87

Morning!  10 miles with 3x2 mile intervals and 800 recoveries.  Strength training tonight.

As far as plans, I'm no where near coaching myself yet.  I'll see how I fare at Lehigh in 4 weeks and go from there.  I do like the Hansons method as it appears to be working like clockwork for me.  If all goes according to plan, I'll run well at Lehigh and then run Boston in the spring.  After that, I think I'd like to focus on speed to drop my HM and marathon times.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

This Hansons' program is still trying to kill me.  18 on Sunday, 8 yesterday, 11.5 this morning (2wu+6(1HMPw400r)+2cd). I'm feeling worn out.

I'll have to shift some stuff around later this week to fit in an evening half marathon on Sunday.  Since a sacrificed workout was to be 3wu+8MP+3cd = 14 miles, it makes me wonder if I should run the half marathon all at MP or do 3 wu then 8 at MP and then the rest as cd, more in line with the skipped workout.  There are a couple of hills in there that are going to bother me.  Oh well, at least at the moment the weather is looking good.

This Hansons' program is still trying to kill me.  18 on Sunday, 8 yesterday, 11.5 this morning (2wu+6(1HMPw400r)+2cd). I'm feeling worn out.

I'll have to shift some stuff around later this week to fit in an evening half marathon on Sunday.  Since a sacrificed workout was to be 3wu+8MP+3cd = 14 miles, it makes me wonder if I should run the half marathon all at MP or do 3 wu then 8 at MP and then the rest as cd, more in line with the skipped workout.  There are a couple of hills in there that are going to bother me.  Oh well, at least at the moment the weather is looking good.

If you know the hills are there and you're already feeling the fatigue affects the  3wu+8MP+3cd = 14 miles sounds more logical of those two option. In my opinion.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

RVD, I'm not too familiar with the Hansons plan so no advice there, but I have a question for you.

I noticed your post on RWOL in the cadence thread.  I use podrunner also, but the intros are driving me nuts, and paying for his software I don't think would work because I don't play them on my iphone, I put the songs onto my shuffle.  What program did you use to cut off the song intros?

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)

RVD, I'm not too familiar with the Hansons plan so no advice there, but I have a question for you.

I noticed your post on RWOL in the cadence thread.  I use podrunner also, but the intros are driving me nuts, and paying for his software I don't think would work because I don't play them on my iphone, I put the songs onto my shuffle.  What program did you use to cut off the song intros?

Well, first of all I use Linux.  I don't remember the name of the program offhand.  I'll have to look when I get home.  I don't know if there is a Windows version of this particular software or not. (I think probably so.)  I cut off the intros and also changed the cadence.  I'll post back later after I get home.  There are many more music editing options for Windows.

Also, I've found that the actual cadence when I am running to the PodRunner music does not match the published cadence of the music.  You might want to double check the cadence you think you're running when running to that music with an actual foot pod.  The foot pod will give you the accurate number.  I found PodRunner to be off by about a couple of beats per minute but I don't have the numbers here.

paulajmcd: The audio editing software I use is is Audacity.  It does also have a Windows version.  Here is the link.

DetroitTigerFan

Ran 12 long tonight - aiming for 9:40 but ended up at 9:25. Weather was 65 degrees and I felt great. I only needed 1 GU too.  Anyone else having cooler than normal summers this year?

Question - how many of you have hit the wall in your marathon in the mid 20 mile range ? reason why I ask is i'm wondering if outside of long run endurance and proper fueling, is there anything else that can be done to help at that point, if it happens again?   I'm getting better at it (lasting longer in the race) but my question is a physical one.   One thing i noticed is that for me is that my upper body seems to give out before my legs. In both cases in the past (last yr at mile 23) the chest kind of tightens up and you can tell breathing is poor forcing a run/walk to the finish, but my legs have felt super at that moment.  Have you experience the same phenomenon? Anything to help with this (cross training exercises?etc) thanks !

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Docket_Rocket

DTF, the wall is not about fueling but rather about pacing.  You go out too fast, you will hit the wall.  Pacing well from the beginning will make it not happen.

I have never hit the wall.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  6 miles tonight.

I had a horrible interval session with bad asthma to boot.  We will see how I feel today.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Smashy!!!

DTF, I agree with Docket. I will add that what you are describing doesn't sound like the wall to me. It sounds more like the effects of repetitive motion. I know that during a long distance race, or run, my shoulders "give out" just from the repetitive motion. I've even developed bursitis in the shoulder as a result. I don't know much about strength training. But the chiro has recommended some good stretches that have helped me manage the problem.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

mdawg87

Hansons Wednesday SRD for me.

DTF:  If you're not properly fueled, it will hit you long before mile 20.  If you're running faster than your fitness level for 26.2, that's when the wall rears its ugly head.  The Hansons program I'm using has lots of MP miles in it.  I think that's helped me determine if my 3:45 goal is reasonable.  If I was struggling during 10 - 12 mile MP workouts, that would indicate the goal was too aggressive.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Rusk Runner

Fueling is indeed important unless you are running at a level that you are burning glycogen more than fat.  Glycogen is limited in supply and if you are running fast enough to use it without replacing it, you will likely hit the wall.  In other words, you can be fit enough to run a faster pace but kill yourself if you dont fuel for the pace.

But DTF, what you are describing does not sound like hitting the wall.  Breathing problems past that distance sounds like fitness.  Arms and upperbody sounds like conditioning/biomechanics, etc...  If you hit the wall due to glycogen depletion (not fueling properly) it is my understanding that there isnt going be much run walking involved.  You are probably going to be out of the race until your body can make the transition from glycogen to fat.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!