Sub-4 Marathon Group

August 2013 (Read 41 times)

DetroitTigerFan

Simon and nachos - good to see you both !

Indy and Josh - agree on the heart rate test, although I do have a lot of actual historical data accumulating.  If i'm doing the same plan i'd think I should at least be able to compare this year to last year and see some directional trend if fitness is improving.  However, to your points, I agree I won't know my potential and proper intensities until I get an official test,etc.

Docket - hope you feel better - was it the heat that did it this time ? My MP at 16 a few weeks ago was pretty tough too. I can't imagine in the heat

Roll - my legs were pretty good - I called Saturday a "2 advil night" lol. They weren't sore but sometimes my legs get restless or something when I sleep and advil relaxes them.  Sunday I was fine. I normally do an unscheduled 3 mile recovery run but errd on the side of caution since it was my first 20'r of the year and skipped it this week. This week is a Pfitz recovery week so it works out

Me - did my first Vo2 max of the year- was aiming for 3:50 and hit 3:48 for the 5x800's.  I was a little sloppy with the recoveries - I was at 90-100% of my time and the book says do 50-90%.

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Rusk Runner

7 easy miles @ 8:37 avg.  Back to talk later.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Rusk Runner

DTF - After your race, or more specifically, after you have recovered from your sub 4 marathon, do a max HR test with a friend.  What I did was:

On a treadmill, Ran 2 miles easy for a warm up, increased elevation to 12 degrees and speed to about a 7:00 pace and ran as long as I thought I could and HR started leveling (my wife was watching my HR using my watch), rested for about 1 lap, and repeated the hill, speed, rest, two more times.  The 3rd time on the incline I was not a happy camper and I had to slow down sooner.  Each time I did the elevation and speed test my heart rate leveled at about 192.  From that, I added 3 out of the recommended 5 bpm and came up with a max HR of 195.

If I use the standard formula 220 - age (48), my max HR is 172.  Really?  172?  I would be screwing myself out of fitness gains from the word go if I used 172 as a basis for max HR.  I actually find it hard to believe that a formula like that is actually even published anywhere for any reason.

You are doing great on your training, and you have sub 4 waiting for you.

Just Run!!!

mdawg87

Good morning!  10 TM miles including 4x1.5 miles with 800 recoveries.  Strength training tonight.  Raining AGAIN in Atlanta.  Supposed to clear out by the weekend though...thank goodness.  I see pool time on tap!

Indy:  That sounds like a test I need to complete after marathon recovery.  I have no idea what my max HR might be.  I don't train by HR, but I can see the data being useful.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  My 8 last night went well.  4 X 800m tonight hoping for no asthma attack.

DTF, it was mostly nausea but I'm sure the humidity and heat contributing to that.

Simon, hello!  Welcome back.

Damaris

Good morning!  10 TM miles including 4x1.5 miles with 800 recoveries.  Strength training tonight.  Raining AGAIN in Atlanta.  Supposed to clear out by the weekend though...thank goodness.  I see pool time on tap!

Indy:  That sounds like a test I need to complete after marathon recovery.  I have no idea what my max HR might be.  I don't train by HR, but I can see the data being useful.

We NEED rain. My soil is separating from the foundation by about a half and inch

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

mdawg87

Hansons SRD for me.  Looking forward to the weekend already.  Work has been trying this week.  I think it's the full moon.

Roll:  I will gladly send you the rain that we have AGAIN this morning.

Mdawg, you are running really well recently.

Docket I prefer the new avatar to the foot one! Big improvement.

We should be getting rain here tomorrow, which will be good for the grass. Possibly it will relieve some of the flooded areas in the south east US, hope noone has had property damage from that.

I have been taking some interest in the championships in Moscow- US mid d runners both male and female have been very successful.

Canada had a strong entry in the women's 1500, Sheila Reid, Nicole Sifuentes and van Buskirk,  I was hoping Reid would be a strong competitor but sadly it was not her day and she did not get into the final.

Trying to get back on track with running again, I almost feel I am starting from scratch.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

That 800M was brutal to watch as the American fell across the finish

Mdawg, you are running really well recently.

Docket I prefer the new avatar to the foot one! Big improvement.

We should be getting rain here tomorrow, which will be good for the grass. Possibly it will relieve some of the flooded areas in the south east US, hope noone has had property damage from that.

I have been taking some interest in the championships in Moscow- US mid d runners both male and female have been very successful.

Canada had a strong entry in the women's 1500, Sheila Reid, Nicole Sifuentes and van Buskirk,  I was hoping Reid would be a strong competitor but sadly it was not her day and she did not get into the final.

Trying to get back on track with running again, I almost feel I am starting from scratch.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Rusk Runner

I was hoping to see Rupp put up much more of a race.

I have been spending time watching the US pro cycling challenge.  Big night for Sagan on Monday.  Thought he had a chance on Tuesday, but no cigar.

Tempo run tonight.  I figure 8 miles total with 3 miles at 07:00 to 07:10.  Maybe, anyway.

Just Run!!!

Rusk Runner

OOOOOh.

Heat, hills, humidity and tempo run = tempo run @ V02 effort.  LOL.

2 miles w/u @ 8:54, 3 miles LT @ 7:17, 2 miles c/d @ 9:27.   Glad to be back home with some ice water and dinner, but boy, do I stink!

Just Run!!!

White Lightning

I was hoping to see Rupp put up much more of a race.

I have been spending time watching the US pro cycling challenge.  Big night for Sagan on Monday.  Thought he had a chance on Tuesday, but no cigar.

Tempo run tonight.  I figure 8 miles total with 3 miles at 07:00 to 07:10.  Maybe, anyway.

I get to see Peter Sagan and quite a few other big names in two weeks at the Tour of Alberta.  My small town is the host city for stage 5, pretty excited

Play the Game Hard!

Smashy!!!

Simon,

I really enjoyed the 1500s, both m and f. I really enjoyed watching Jenny Simpson's semi-final and finals races. Two races with two very different strategies. It was great.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Rusk Runner

Another Stage win for Pete Sagan yesterday.  Amazing how fast the pelaton closes in on a 3+ minute gap.

Recovery miles later tonight.   Stretching, planks, and crunches this morning before work.  I actually do that stuff about 5 or 6 days a week but never really write it down or anything.

Cycling tomorrow.  I would love to get 40 or 50 miles if I can fit it in.

Just Run!!!

mdawg87

Good morning!  12 miles with 10 at MP.  MP miles were 8:14, 8:10, 8:23, 8:26, 8:14, 8:24, 8:31, 8:22, 8:13, and 8:26.  Pace is still a little wonky and not as steady as I'd like.  I'm hoping I can get it more dialed in next week on my last MP run before the race.

Indy and Josh:  I've been getting home too late to catch anything but the end of the USA Cycling Challenge.  All I've seen are the awards!