Sub-4 Marathon Group

July 2013 (Read 44 times)

DetroitTigerFan

docket - what plan are you doing for your training?

bago - lol on the Galloway turtle - although I used that my first time - nothing like that first 25 mile training run / walk he has- i'll always remember that 4:30 experience  !! I still think it was a mistake I made to this day, especially 5 weeks from the marathon - lol

Another classic Pfitz question for the group - have you ever noticed your heart rate data doesn't correlate to your training paces or seems out of sync with each other?

• ran a "general aerobic" / easy session today
    • Pfitz has heart rate intensity ranges for these runs. I've been trying to stay near the middle to upper end
    • My guess is that for me this should be 10:05 - 10:58.  As a reference, Hansons says this should be 9:51 to 10:34 for me
    • So today, I go out - overcast with light rain and near the upper end of the workout heart rate intensity and run it in 9:10 !!!

I don't like chasing heart rates, but did I just have a good day? or could my max heart rate calc be incorrect ? or some other reason? I've run at the same heart rate before and ran it in 10:07 on a much warmer / humid day ?  I'm wondering if I ran too fast today - it almost felt near tempo pace ! thanks for any thoughts !

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Smashy!!!

DTF, I'm not on expert on heart rate, and I don't train by that method either. But it seems to me that your heart rate could be effected by numerous factors, and are not tied to a specific pace.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

cmb4314

docket - what plan are you doing for your training?

bago - lol on the Galloway turtle - although I used that my first time - nothing like that first 25 mile training run / walk he has- i'll always remember that 4:30 experience  !! I still think it was a mistake I made to this day, especially 5 weeks from the marathon - lol

Another classic Pfitz question for the group - have you ever noticed your heart rate data doesn't correlate to your training paces or seems out of sync with each other?

• Pfitz has heart rate intensity ranges for these runs. I've been trying to stay near the middle to upper end
        • My guess is that for me this should be 10:05 - 10:58.  As a reference, Hansons says this should be 9:51 to 10:34 for me
        • So today, I go out - overcast with light rain and near the upper end of the workout heart rate intensity and run it in 9:10 !!!

I don't like chasing heart rates, but did I just have a good day? or could my max heart rate calc be incorrect ? or some other reason? I've run at the same heart rate before and ran it in 10:07 on a much warmer / humid day ?  I'm wondering if I ran too fast today - it almost felt near tempo pace ! thanks for any thoughts !

I don't usually stick to heart rate ranges, I just run by effort, but I have had freakish good days out of nowhere before.

In the middle of my marathon training this past winter I had one random easy run where I averaged about 9:00 flat for the run, getting faster as I went without even trying.  I usually am around 10:00, maybe 9:45 at the fastest for what feels "easy", but that day I just flew through it.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

7 miles with some seriously fast (for me) fartleks. Good run.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

ap4

I kind of wing it. I always wear my HR monitor to get a rough idea of how hard my body is working vs. what my mind thinks.  I know what ballpark I need to be in with regards to paces and HR. I go by effort first, then some weird compromise of pace and HR depending how fussy I'm feeling. My recovery pace is 9:30-10:00, HR 130-150. Easy/GA is 8:50-9:10, HR 135-160. Tempo runs are 7:40-8:10, HR 165-180. I think a number of different factors affect your HR from heat, humidity to excitement. I know on my race days, I usually start around 160 and go up from there. A lot of that is drift from excitement, but I think adrenaline carries me further too. Just my experience, YMMV.

Docket_Rocket

DTF, I run my HR and like Cbus said, it is affected by other things, heat, humidity, sleep, food, so it could be you just had a good day.  I would trust the HR % more than the pace and if it gives you a fast day I would take it.

I am using the same coach I used for Berlin (he is a fellow RWOL forumite who coaches and paces for the Chicago whatever running group). I like his plans but this one is awesome.  I just hope I can do it, LOL.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

onemile

7 miles with some seriously fast (for me) fartleks. Good run.

Nice. You need to make your log public so we can drool.

I ran 9 tonight.  I was planning on 8 but really wanted to do 10 so I compromised. Smile

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Morning Donuts! Jedi who?Smile Sorry I've been MIA, but life has been busy last few weeks and  been keeping the running low key anyhow. Started my Hanson plan on Monday for Philly. Not doing book plan but 20wk 60-80mpw plan. Nice 8 miler yesterday and another easy 10m today w/8x10sec strides. So far so good. First couple of weeks just easy miles, but might run a 10k this weekend and probably do some HMP miles as i really don't need to base build to start off. Hope everyone is well.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

DTF: I don't use a HRM, so I'm no help. But there are always those random days when everything clicks.

Roll: Nice.  As onemile said, make your log public so we can ogle it.

Onemile: Nice 9!

Me:  6x800 w/400 recovery this morning. Out the door at 4:45am, 75F w/ DP of 71F and 89% humidity wasn't fun.  I'm having to introduce another  pair of shoes into my rotation so that they have a chance fully to dry out between runs.  Ick.  Workout went well; I hit the paces for each interval.  6:45; 6:44; 6:47; 6:47; 6:49; 6:46.  Recovery paces were quite slow, though, mostly 10-ish.   All in all, this morning was 4.5 Interval @ 8:02 average pace; 3.6 wu/cd @ 9:48.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Stomach is bad and therefore, asthma is really bad.  Couldn't sleep last night, so I'm rethinking the 4th of July 5K.  So, 7 or 10 depending on whether I'll do the race or not.

onemile, nice 9.

Jedi, hi!  Enjoy Hanson.  I got Walter's plan and I'm still in shock.  I'm very happy with my plan; just still in shock.  Big grin

Flinders, nice interval session.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

mdawg87

Good morning!  7 TM miles total with 5x1K.  Strength training tonight.  Looks to be a soggy July 4th in the ATL, but improving Friday and forward.  Not sure how that's going to play out with the Peachtree Road Race.  Glad I'm not running with 60,000 possibly soaking wet people.  Maybe it'll hold off until at least the later morning hours.  That'll make my tempo run more palatable as well.

DTF:  +1 to the other comments regarding it just being a good day.  I don't train by HR either.  Using Ap4's term, it's too fussy for me.  I will occassionally run with it to see where I am, but other than that, don't use it.

jedi/onemile:  I've got a 15 mile LR this weekend.  I'm thinking this is the first time I'll get a taste of Hansons' philosophy of the LR feeling like the last miles of the marathon vs. the first miles.

Docket:  For you to be shocked, those must be some serious miles!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Good morning!  7 TM miles total with 5x1K.  Strength training tonight.  Looks to be a soggy July 4th in the ATL, but improving Friday and forward.  Not sure how that's going to play out with the Peachtree Road Race.  Glad I'm not running with 60,000 possibly soaking wet people.  Maybe it'll hold off until at least the later morning hours.  That'll make my tempo run more palatable as well.

jedi/onemile:  I've got a 15 mile LR this weekend.  I'm thinking this is the first time I'll get a taste of Hansons' philosophy of the LR feeling like the last miles of the marathon vs. the first miles.

If you look at the precipitation potential for Atlanta for Thursday morning, those runners are screwed.

Do you do your long runs on Saturday or Sunday?  I've got one more 16 for this Sunday.  Afterwards the long runs move to six 18s and then six 20s.  I usually hit the Silver Comet about 10 - 15 minutes before dawn to get started.

bagopux

I've run at the same heart rate before and ran it in 10:07 on a much warmer / humid day ?

Well, there ya have it.  Your pace is going to be slower at the same HR on a warmer day, all other things being equal (which they never are of course).  Here are two runs of mine on the same trail and virtually the same distance (one was 17 miles and the other 18 miles) and at the same average HR (118 bpm).  When it was 47F with a dew point of 17F, I ran it at 9:09/mi.  When it was 79F with a dew point of 67F, I ran it in 11:20/mi.

I trained for a marathon strictly by HR once and did not like it.  The paces during the summer got painfully slow.  Now I train generally by pace and effort and use HR as a check and as a proxy for effort to compare runs.

So sayeth the Turtle.

onemile

Nice on the intervals.  I think some of my LR's felt that way and others felt easy.  The MP runs though pretty much always felt tough.

Nice. You need to make your log public so we can drool.

You all maybe be a little disappointed. Maybe I did something wrong but, when I loaded the software, last time,  for the Garmin to upload to RA my computer started having major problems. Any advice?

DTF - maybe its kind of like "white coat syndrome". If you watch it, it is elevated.

CMB - how are you feeling?

DRock - you've got this!!!!

Jedi - what up

Flinders - those are some smokin' intervals.

MDawg - I am reading the Hanson book now. I am actually kinda looking forward to that run. Not because its gonna be comfortable but rather to see how I fare.

RVD - Enjoy that 16. looks like you will soon be wishing it was as easy as a 16 miler. Big grin

Indi - Run????

I leave for vacation tomorrow. Plans are to run while there, we will see.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27