Sub-4 Marathon Group

July 2013 (Read 44 times)

bagopux

Indi, I agree, if this were a race, I'm not sure I would have even attempted it. The problem I see is that we still have two more weeks of July, and all of Aug. if i wait for favorable conditions, then I have to wait 6 weeks.

Cbus, if you are running an MP *effort* in the heat and not hitting the MP *pace*, that's OK.  The pace will come later when the temps drop.  Its the effort that counts.  for me, MP at 55F puts my HR in the low 130s.  But if its 80F and humid, if I run with my HR in the low 130s there's no way I can sustain MP.  But if I do that MP run by keeping my HR in the low 130s and forget about the pace, I'm still getting the workout that I need to improve.  And when the temps drop in September, the speed will come.  I've seen this happen many times.  Do *not* push yourself to do lengthy MP runs in extreme heat & humidity.  Its simply not safe and its not necessary.

Good morning!  I am off to the gym in a bit (first time there this summer) to do easy bike and weights.  (Rest/XT day on schedule)

cbus - an almost on pace effort is fine.  You are still stressing the proper systems; your paces weren't too far off.  Keep at it.

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  SRD for me.

And yes, adjust for weather.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Smashy!!!

Lots of good advice. Lets say there's 6 mi @ GMP workout scheduled, but wheather is going to be bad. Do you think it's better to do a) 6 @ GMP effort, or b) less miles, say, 2, @ GMP?

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Rusk Runner

Just my $.02

If your run MP but your HR is 85% MHR, you are actually running tempo.  Are your muscles going to feel it? Not really.  Are you going to feel it?  You bet.  Are you well on your way to overtraining if you continue to push past MP effort.  You betcha.  Are you going to make it to the start line ready to race if you are overtrained. Maybe.

I am no coach but I would be suprised if anyone proves me mistaken on this.  MP runs are not there to teach your legs to run at MP.  MP runs are there to teach your entire system to run at MP.  You need to be able to sustain the effort, not just have the muscle to carry the pace.

There are other ways around the weather also.  Treadmills, early AM runs (a confused state of AM/PM in my case), indoor tracks, etc.  I would rather run a flat indoor track and nail my paces than run in oppressive heat and take a chance on killing myself.  I about did kill myself the other day being stupid and running in the mid day heat and humidity.  Stupid mistake.  Could have cost me dearly, and I know better.

You can post a question to luke online and I guaruntee you he will get back to you with an answer.  I am betting he wont tell you to go out and hit those MPs in the heat.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

onemile

Just my $.02

If your run MP but your HR is 85% MHR, you are actually running tempo.  Are your muscles going to feel it? Not really.  Are you going to feel it?  You bet.  Are you well on your way to overtraining if you continue to push past MP effort.  You betcha.  Are you going to make it to the start line ready to race if you are overtrained. Maybe.

I am no coach but I would be suprised if anyone proves me mistaken on this.  MP runs are not there to teach your legs to run at MP.  MP runs are there to teach your entire system to run at MP.  You need to be able to sustain the effort, not just have the muscle to carry the pace.

There are other ways around the weather also.  Treadmills, early AM runs (a confused state of AM/PM in my case), indoor tracks, etc.  I would rather run a flat indoor track and nail my paces than run in oppressive heat and take a chance on killing myself.  I about did kill myself the other day being stupid and running in the mid day heat and humidity.  Stupid mistake.  Could have cost me dearly, and I know better.

You can post a question to luke online and I guaruntee you he will get back to you with an answer.  I am betting he wont tell you to go out and hit those MPs in the heat.

Actually, this is a good idea.  I once posted a question to the Hansons Marathon Method FB page and Luke did respond - it might take him a week but he does answer questions there.  I'm kind of curious what his take is on this.  If you don't want to ask, I will.

I personally will most likely revert to the indoor track on the couple really bad days we get here but otherwise try to do them outside and hopefully come close to hitting my paces.

Rusk Runner

Sorry if I sounded Haughty.  It wasnt my intention.Embarrassed

You ask Jenny.  I am fine with Pfitz's take on it, even if I carelessly ignore his advice sometimes.

Just Run!!!

bagopux

i totally agree with indiana:  hit the correct effort level for the prescribed distance and don't worry so much about the pace.

Docket_Rocket

I agree.  It might be touch and go and an approximate but it is better than overdoing the pace.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

onemile

Sorry if I sounded Haughty.  It wasnt my intention.Embarrassed

You ask Jenny.  I am fine with Pfitz's take on it, even if I carelessly ignore his advice sometimes.

No, not at all. I actually meant for Daniel to ask since it is his question but if he doesn't want to, I can do it.

DetroitTigerFan

Paula - I think i'm ready. I'm slightly iffy since I've been on vaca this week and ice cream seems to be the Pfitz dairy regiment - lol. Isn't that in Chpt 2 on nutrition ? Smile  No, actually, I've tried my best to restrain myself, but I know I probably put on some weight. It will come off in Aug/Sept, especially with V02 max - that's when I saw some large weight improvements last year.  I did do the 10 miler and 5 miler on vaca.  On top of that, i've been biking on my vaca (casual mountainbiking around town) I guess my legs will have time to rest during the 4 hr drive back home.  Anyway, I hope to be ready - recovery week next week !

Cbus - Indy sounds like he knows what he's talking about, so i'll +1 him

Luke was our Amer Cancer Society coach last year - when I asked him about pacing he said - back off 8 sec/mile for every 10 degrees above 70-75. In the 80's back off 10 sec per mile and in the 90's back off 20 seconds per mile. Over the course of the summer, these can be dialed back once the body gets adapted

Hope this helps

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

I am aware of th dangers regarding Advil and running, what about aspirin? My cardiologist an internal med Dr's are telling me tat it is a must to start statins and aspirin daily.

Yall give no idea how much this frustrates me.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Docket_Rocket

How many times a day?  Can you take the aspirin at least 4 hours prior to the run?

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Rusk Runner

You are taking a baby aspirin every day rigjht? Statins shouldnt be a boher unless your body just does not tolerate them.

Just Run!!!

How many times a day?  Can you take the aspirin at least 4 hours prior to the run?

I usually run in the PM and take the aspirin in the AM.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27