Sub-4 Marathon Group

July 2013 (Read 44 times)

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  14 miles with the last 4 @ MP.  Hot (92F) and humid (77DP) but they are done.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

onemile

36:45 for my 8k yesterday.  Planning to run 12ish today. Maybe more if I feel ok.

DetroitTigerFan

Cbus - howdy - I rechecked the email and I copied and pasted pretty much so i'm not sure if he miskeyed, so that's a good question.  I just think he means lets say your workout pace is 9:30 in normal 70 degree temps - then make it 9:40 in 80 degree temps and 9:50 in 90 degree temps perhaps ?

Me -  Got done with 16 mile Pfitz test at MP = 6 warm up at 9:36 + 10 at MP ~9:00.   I still need to work on hitting that 9:09 average. I did have to accelerate past a few runners as I was approaching them on the path (they were roughly the same pace and didn't want to tailgate lol) So, that may have pushed me ahead of the 9:09.  I wouldn't do that in a race. Temps were nice and cool today

Question - what the heck is wrong with my heart rate monitor ? It was showing my max heart rate at 220 - lol !!! I know this is wrong and looking at the data it jumped up like 20-30 bpm after mile 12. I know my monitor tends to slip downward later in runs and i'm always readjusting - could that have caused the error?  when this happens do you guys manually correct your logs (I feel like subtracting 30 bpm from all my data after mile 12 so its somewhat accurate !) I changed the battery several weeks ago and it works fine, but I just noticed this today

Indy - for cadence, is that just keeping the legs moving at the same speed so you are upshifting and downshifting to hold that constant?

Paula - how did you do today !

Docket - hello ! Smile

PS - I saw Reebs posting in the RWOL 3:45 forum. She didn't know where we went - lol.  I invited her here and on the facebook group

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Happy Sunday!

Well, I managed to get in 15.6 miles (16 mile run scheduled). I had a nice 6 mile warmup, then about 7 or 8 miles at MP (trying to do 10 @ MP) before I crashed and burned. I felt great up until about mile 13. After that, I was overheated and dehydrated. I had goose bumps that didn't let up. I run a 6 mile out-and-back from my home, and of course this hit at the furthest point out, but I managed to shuffle/run/walk the last couple miles back.

My garmin is doing some weird stuff too. Today's run contains some corrupt data and when I try to view the splits on my watch, the screen goes black and it resets. I can't get anything uploaded to my computer. Boo.

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)

Docket_Rocket

Great job, onemile!

DTF, hi back! I've had that happened to me and it's usually that the HRM is super wet from the heat and humidity and moves enough for the readings to go berserk.  Go to your garminconnect page (if you use it) and change the HR data to per mile and look at your HR at the end of that mile.  It should give you a more accurate reading than that one.

Paula, nice job, although it was tough.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Rusk Runner

DTF - Yes.  It is said that  you should maintain your cadence between 70 - 90 rpm.  80 rpm feels comfortable to me and that is what is important.  If you can adjust your gears to maintain your (groove) cadence, you can go forever.  And I wouldnt worry too terrible much about that 9 sec differential on your MP run.

Paula - You be careful!  Are you recovering alright?

I wasnt able to fit in a run today due to family commitments, so I went ahead and did a 40 mile bike ride to close out the week.  So I have completed 2, 20+ weeks coming off of the injury with no complications.  That would include an 8 and 10 mile trail run also.  I am going to work on bumping the mileage up next week to get ready for HM training.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Indi, glad to hear you are recovering well.   I am doing great, thanks for asking.  I downed 48 oz of water when I got back to the house, and briefly considered continuing on to get that last half mile in, but decided against it, thinking that would fall into the category of "junk miles".  Usually I am totally spent after a long run, but I'm feeling great.

I had to google "goose bumps during running" to discover that I was suffering from heat exhaustion.  It's a good thing I wasn't any further from my house.

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)

Rusk Runner

Paula -  thought you already knew what the goosebumps were.  You are our second case of heat exhuastion in the last two weeks, with me being the first.  Hopefully the upcoming weather will give us all a little less to worry about while we are out running.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Smashy!!!

Sheesh, Paula, that was a close call! Glad you're okay.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Well, I have learned a valuable lesson from my training over the last couple of years.  My body cannot handle ANY alcohol the day before a long run.  I only had 3 or 4 drinks over the course of the entire day, but I believe it took its toll.  It really wasn't that hot out (about 70F, not very humid), so I have to blame dehydration.

Indi, I didn't know you dealt with heat exhaustion as well.  Everyone be safe out there!!

PRs:

mdawg87

Good morning!  Abs, 5 easy TM miles, and stretching at the gym.  Took me a couple of miles to get in the groove this morning.  This is the first time I've really felt the need for an easy day.  Not suprising given last week's 54 miles...which is a lot for me.  Still feeling good though!

Paula:  I can't drink hardly at all anymore.  One glass/cocktail and I'm ready to go to sleep.  The only time I can get away with it is if I sweat it out at the pool/beach and then it's 2 drinks max.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  6 miles later tonight.

Paula, how are you feeling today?

mdawg, nice 5 and nice mileage!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

bagopux

Paula, glad you are OK.  As runners, we try hard to grit our teeth and push through adversity sometimes, and that's not always the best thing. Injuries can be annoying and tough to deal with, but heat issues can be much more serious.  Its nothing to trifle with.  For long runs when its really hot, I'll always take a second at the beginning to think about emergency plans.  Will there be other people on the route?  Will I be near lots of houses?  Where are the water fountains?  Where can I cut off from the trail to a residential street?  Stuff like that.  Fortunately, I've never had a disaster, but I've had some issues here and there.

5 miles for me this morning.  Easy pace.  First run from the new house.  Just checking out the local greenways this time out.

onemile

I remember one long run in the heat that left me shivering / sweating a lot / very nauseous for half of the day.  I started avoiding running in the sun after that.  Not fun.

I ran 14 last night.  Kept the paces in the Hansons LR range of 8:42-8:53 (3:30-3:35).  Felt fairly easy, so I was happy with that.  8 easy today.

Smashy!!!

Morning all!

4.31 easy this morning, 10:45. Fel pretty beaten down, but I usually feel that way on Monday morning. But the heat definitely took its toll this week.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)