Sub-4 Marathon Group

July 2013 (Read 44 times)

Wow, I shouldn't be surprised but a lot has happened in the last 1.5 weeks since I last got on here. This is going to be long...

I have a habit of staying away whenever my running sucks, since I don't want to think about it anymore (I guess kind of a denial thing). I am pretty sure I tweaked my R hamstring some after trying to run (only one) 5k interval right after that 10k two weeks ago. I was able to make it through the MP run that Thursday, even though it was harder than normal, but after that it was just bad. For a week every run felt like my legs were just dead and I had a hard time running faster than 11 min miles. Last Tuesday for example, I knew I was not running intervals, but I after 2 slow miles I was out of energy and had to walk, and that was a relatively cool morning. I really don't know what it was, but maybe a combo of the injury, altering my form due to the injury, heat/humidity (one of those days I took a look and noticed the dewpoint as almost 80, that counts as hot, right?), etc. I probably should have stopped by here to see that some others were having worse than average runs due to the heat.

Finally, starting Friday, my energy level started to return and my hamstring is feeling better (not perfect, but better). Sunday I got my 12 mile LR in at 9:10 pace (9:15 target) while pushing the jogging stroller and hungover from the Jimmy Buffett concert the day before. And this morning, I was able to get my 6x800 intervals (figured I should do 800m since that is where I left off 2 weeks ago) in at 6:55 (targeted a little slower pace than previous 6:45 intervals because I was a little scared of making the leg worse). So, I feel I am getting back to normal but still confused as hell how my legs could just turn to jello like that.

Facebook - I don't post on Facebook often, but will check it out. I never post running stuff because I have seen other people complain that they don't care about people's running posts and don't want them to be annoyed with me. Do posts to the group show up on your timeline or other people's walls?

Garmin issues - I forget who had the issue of corrupted data, but I had the same problem a couple times. I had to delete the corrupted entry in order to get the rest of the data off the watch. In one case the activity wouldn't delete, it said it was, but still was there. I had to do a Soft Reset in order to actually delete the Activity, and then could upload all of the data. On the negative side, that started to happen once I was getting some condensation in the 310XT somehow and it started acting funky. Now it occasionally won't turn on, and won't connect to the computer. I think I need to get a Refurbished one from Garmin or buy a new watch.

Indi - I see you are ramping up your mileage and have signed up for a half marathon PR it looks like. Awesome

Cbus - I took a look at your log, and great string of 50's. With your injuries and being sick, that has to feel great. And don't beat up on yourself too much for somewhat slower paces in the heat, at least you didn't have to walk.

Paula - take care of yourself

Josh - You keep complaining about your legs feeling like mud, and then break out an interval session like that?! Nice to see you posting more.

DTF - Nice MP run. About Facebook, I also tried to resist joining just because I had enough communication methods to be behind on (work e-mail, personal e-mail, phone, text messages,etc...) but once I had kids, the relatives gave me no choice.

mdawg - Nice progress, next week are you going to change your goal to 3:35?

bago/docket/Roll/Onemile/RVD/Flinders/AmiK/Simon/Strider/ap4/everyone else - Hi

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

Docket_Rocket

The group is closed so only members of the group can see the posts, Nick.  You should be safe with that.

As to people not liking the posts, I see it as the same as those that post nothing but games or pictures of their kids, or whatever.  To each his own.  If I can stand their boring posts, so they can also stand my running posts. Big grin

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Smashy!!!

Nick, glad you're back at it. Sometimes the legs turn to jello. Take care of that hammy. And join us on FB! It's a ton of fun.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Why the heck did I call Nick DTF?  Edited!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Rusk Runner

cbus - longer running, feeling stronger, moving faster.... I think you have improved since the days you were rolling your legs out on a rolling pin.  Much as I think everybody in this group has improved thier running one way or another.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

DetroitTigerFan

Nick - good to hear from you. Hope your legs feel better. It sounds like you're getting there. Nice 12 miler - that's a great pace especially with a stroller. PS - had a weird idea wanted to throw by you. What would it take to do an occasional Sunday 10:00 min/mile recovery run on the last 3-4 miles of the Freep course? so i'm thinking the Belle Isle bridge to downtown by the finish line.  There are logistics issues and lots of traffic lights, but i'm wondering if it would offer any psychological benefit by running that segment occasionally before race day? Then again, i'm not sure how I feel about running on Jefferson without 5000 other runners - lol - thoughts?

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Smashy!!!

Thanks man! I think getting healthy had a lot to do with it.

cbus - longer running, feeling stronger, moving faster.... I think you have improved since the days you were rolling your legs out on a rolling pin.  Much as I think everybody in this group has improved thier running one way or another.

DTF - Seeing BBQ as BQ is kind of like when I look at the time, it says 7:36, and I see it as pace. Smile

Nick - I hope everything is back to normal from this point forward.  It seems the heat and humidity have affected a lot of folks, so I wouldn't be surprised if it contributed to your slowdown as well.

It was me with the garmin issue.  I did have to delete the activity, but at least I had the total mileage and run time, i suppose.  Ha, no record of my failed MP run.

I did 8 miles today, including 10x100m strides (usually hit about 6:15-6:30, but obviously not for long).  My HR is typically 143-145 on easy runs.  It was the high 130's today.  I believe I am getting fitter.

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)

Rusk Runner

Good Morning Donuts.

Paula - Good to hear.  Fitness gains are better than holidays, IMO.

Nick - Pushing the heat and humidity will sap anybody.  Bumps in the road are just bumps in the road. I think having to find myself during this injury time out has made me a better runner.  You probably feel the same way as you have overcome minor difficulties in  the past.

Me - Feet on pavement at 3:22 AM again.  5 miles @ 8:26 avg pace.  Felt good to open up the lungs just a little more.  My lower legs are starting to remember what it means to run consistantly again.  Cant decide if I want to get on the bike tonight after some mowing, or just wait until tomorrow.  No matter what I do, tomorrow will be an SRD  for running.

Happy running to all!  See most of you on FB later.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 5 miles tonight.

Great job everybody!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Smashy!!!

Today's my SRD! So happy.

Paula, that's awesome!

Indi, 3:22AM? Intense. It takes me an hour,usually, to get ready to run (coffee, and other business), which means I'd have to be up at 2AM to hit the roads by that time. Crazy.

Happy running everyone!

DTF - I have thought about that too, but wondered how that would be on without the roads blocked off. My wife works downtown and Monday nights she occasionally goes running with some people down there, so I wonder what their route is. I have to pick up the kids (well kid, since grandma took our older boy to Port Austin for the week) down there tomorrow night, maybe I will take a drive down Jefferson to see what the traffic, etc. looks like.

mdawg87

It's Hansons SRD Wednesday for me.  Slept in and loved it.

Indy:  I'm enjoying the convo on FB throughout the day.

Paula:  Fitness gains are the best!  Good job!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

And DTF, I was skeptical of the FB group too, but so far i kind of like it. I feel that I can make a little comment on something someone else put up, but here I feel dumb writing a post of only something like, "yeah, I agree too." Plus you can respond directly to the comment of someone else, rather that referencing the previous post in your new post and hoping that others make the connection. It would be perfect for your QOTD Smile You could create an account that is completely private and you only use for the Donuts group, but then, you couldn't tell people that you aren't on FB without being lying.

bagopux

DTF - Seeing BBQ as BQ is kind of like when I look at the time, it says 7:36, and I see it as pace. Smile

And that's kind of like during hockey season when I see, say, the number '12' and I think, oh, Eric Staal.

So, the thing i don't like about facebook is that the threads develop unbelievably rapidly.  I'll just pop in and check on things and there's 40 posts in a thread.  And then I think, "well, I'm not going to read all that."  and if i just read the end of the thread I have no idea what's going on and if I just read the beginning then I have no idea what the thread has morphed into.  So I'm a little lost.  I only look at fb on my phone, never on a pc.  maybe that's my problem.  Also, are there add-on apps that make it easier to follow?  i just use the stock android app.  i like it being a closed, private group, but honestly i've felt more disconnected using fb than the RA forum.