Sub-4 Marathon Group

July 2013 (Read 44 times)

Rusk Runner

Paula - Any chance you are feeling some soreness from bouncing around on that trampoline?

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Trampoline jumping is pretty low impact, but it definitely got my heart rate way up.  I suppose it's possible!

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)

White Lightning

5 really windy miles finished with 3 LT miles in the middle ate 7:30, 7:18, 7:18.  Hr's are continuing to drop and legs feel really good.

Bago - Good changes.  I seem to benefit more from quality workouts (physically and mentally) than I do just running easy miles everyday.  So i'm approaching my running as just hitting 1-2 quality runs a week and slowly building my long run to 2 hours.  So I guess 3 quality workouts a week then running the easy stuff in between.

Nick - First time i've ever done any speed work. Guess you don't know what you are capable of until you dig down and do it I?

Play the Game Hard!

Just came back from running 8 GA miles, 9:34 average pace, 143 HR.  This is the fastest easy effort run I have EVER had, as far as I can remember.  I'm thrilled, as it seems my paces had stagnated at 10-10:15 for quite some time.  A 9Tight lippedx pace feels much more "fluid" than a 10Tight lippedx.  I hope this is a breakthrough, and not a freak run!

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)

Rusk Runner

Paula - Cycling is low impact also, but when I charge a bunch of hills, you can rest assured my legs are feelng it in a day or so.

I did some extensive work with the kids in a bouncy house one day that liked to have killed me! Shocked

Just Run!!!

Finally done with my 10.5 with 7 at MP (wrong turn added .5) 8:30 goal (8:28, 8:28, 8:29, 8:29, 8:28, 8:26, 8:30). Went pretty well, average HR at 131 (up to 134 on the last couple miles) goal marathon ave HR is about 137.

Mdawg - that seems a little slower than your run last week. Cbus getting to you with his comments?

Josh - It sure looks like you are picking up where you left off. Still jealous of those interval paces. I had to look at your log to make sure you weren't talking about min/km or something.

Paula - one of the fun things about running with a HR monitor is when you can see that your HR is getting lower for the speed. Of course you should be able to feel it too, but I the actually seeing the HR is more exciting that just thinking it was easier.

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

Rusk Runner

Nick - those are some awesome splits on your MP run.  I think when we post HR data, we should really start throing out percentage of max.  It would make it easier for others to understand what effort level we are at since everybodys max is so different.  What say you?

Just Run!!!

Nick - those are some awesome splits on your MP run.  I think when we post HR data, we should really start throing out percentage of max.  It would make it easier for others to understand what effort level we are at since everybodys max is so different.  What say you?

I wonder how many people really know accurately what their max is.  There just isn't any good way to find out.  I guess the most useful is to get the highest heart rate in a 5k in which one PRs and then add about 5 beats.  This latter is because it is thought that the limiting factor is leg strength and not heart rate.

Even places that claim to measure MHR generally don't have calibrated equipment or bother changing their filters or have people who really know what they are doing.  I had one place try to tell me that I had increased my MHR by about 15 bpm.  MHR can NOT be increased -- at all.

I think about the only place I would trust would be a university research lab or perhaps a hospital.  Kind of hard to get them to do such a test though unless you can find a school which needs research subjects.

bagopux

paula, i hope that run bodes well for your training.  but even if it doesn't, just enjoy what it was.  those things happen every once in a while.  its just running magic.

rv, there are a couple of labs around here that are affiliated with universities that will run a battery of tests on you and give you your optimal training ranges and whatnot.  here's one:

http://www.humanperformancelaboratory.com/Services_Overview.html

doesn't say they will give you max HR, but they give training zones based on, at least, lt from blood samples.  i've considered doing it, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

srd today.  too bad too because the humidity finally completely broke.  its a gorgeous cool friday morning.  tomorrow, the humidity rolls in again.  oh well.

mdawg87

Good morning!  Weights, 5 easy TM miles, and stretching at the gym.  Ready for the weekend and hoping for some sun and pool time.  Tired of this rainy pattern.  Although, again, the temps for running have been much more palatable than normal.

Nick:  LOL!  No, cbus hasn't browbeaten me into submission.  I've just really tried to dial in the pace as that's what Hanson calls for and that will be my strategy on race day.  I think you asked me if I was upping my goal a few days ago and I never answered.  I'm going to stick with my 3:45 paces and pick it up in the later miles if I'm able.  I want to play this one conservatively and I'm just not sure about holding a 3:40 pace for 26.2 miles at this point.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Rusk Runner

RV - I know what you are saying.  I would like to get tested but do not find it that necessary as I am not a pro or anything.  I did a test with DW which consisted of about 2 warm up miles on the TM, then 3 sets of elevation at about 9 or 10 deg and faster running until I was just about ready to fall down.  In each set, my HR would max at about 192.  From that I just added a couple and figured my zones at 195.  Is it correct?  I think its close enough.

Just Run!!!

So I estimate my max to be about 166bpm, as the highest I have seen in races sprinting at the end is about 163 (Resting HR about 37). Normally though I look at HR Reserve rather than Max HR. So yesterday's 7mile MP portion at 131 would be 79% of MHR, or 73% of HRR. Pfitz's marathon HRR range is 73%-84%, and so right in the middle would be the 137bpm that I look at as a good marathon average HR goal (and other races and training paces back that up).

bagopux

So I estimate my max to be about 166bpm, as the highest I have seen in races sprinting at the end is about 163 (Resting HR about 37). Normally though I look at HR Reserve rather than Max HR. So yesterday's 7mile MP portion at 131 would be 79% of MHR, or 73% of HRR. Pfitz's marathon HRR range is 73%-84%, and so right in the middle would be the 137bpm that I look at as a good marathon average HR goal (and other races and training paces back that up).

Nick, I think we've discussed this before, but we are pretty similar in some respects.  My resting HR is about 37 and my max is probably in the mid/high 150s.  I was able to get it to the low 150s doing short all-out sprints with minimal recovery.  That was three years ago, so it might be a hair lower now.  So my training/racing HRs are close to yours.  My paces are also close to yours.  What was the weather for those MP miles?  I could not put up those numbers in the summer weather here.

I do feel like I was cheating a little with the MP run yesterday, as it was only 68 last evening. I don't know if I will get that good of running weather again until September.

bagopux

Nick, My guess is that you have more upside than I do at this point, but we're probably in the same ballpark.