Sub-4 Marathon Group

July 2013 (Read 44 times)

White Lightning

Josh - It sure looks like you are picking up where you left off. Still jealous of those interval paces. I had to look at your log to make sure you weren't talking about min/km or something.

There was a lot of doubt in my mind that I wouldn't be able to hold the last ones and honestly, I need to stop doubting myself, really bad habit.  My recoveries did slow down a bit but I just ran to my HR.  Remember I'm not marathon training right now and my mileage is low so I can go out and kill each workout and just wait to see how I feel the next day to decide what to run.  Before we get too excited lets see how I do in some 600's next week.  Nice splits btw

My resting HR is 46 (used to be 80) and my maximum measured HR is 191 so I figure my max is around 193-195

Play the Game Hard!

Rusk Runner

Ended up with a cruise/fartlek/pyramid sort of run today.  I just wanted to see where my heart/lungs/and legs are at since injury/offtime/rebuild.

Ran 5 miles 8:06 avg pace, splits were 8:44, 8:05, 7:20, 7:41, 8:42.

Hopefully in a few weeks I will be ready to run intervals @ 6:30 pace again (like you, Josh!).

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have an SRD.

I think my Max is 196 based upon a max of 191 during a 5K race.  So, I try to run the easy runs at 143-148 which, coincidentally, is my Maffetone range.  I use 155-157 HR for MP.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Rest or XT day for me today.  I may try to do some weights later, haven't decided.

For my HR ranges, my resting is 55, and max I've been using 185.  The max I just took from a 5k effort.  Now I'm wondering if I should be using maybe 190 to determine my training paces.   Doing so would move my current efforts from mid range HRR to low end, which implies I could push myself a bit more in training.

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)

DetroitTigerFan

I've been using 182 as max, but just got that from the Pfitz suggestion in the book. Lol - that one run my monitor said over 200 but I think that was an error. I've actually never worn the monitor during a race. It may be mental, but I feel I perform better without it in racing conditions

Question - planning my tune up races and need your opinion.  Week 5 long run has 18 miles with 14 at MP.  It is the final MP long run for Pfitz before taper. Last year, I did a half marathon tune up at full HM race pace, in lieu of the workout. It was a PB and great race practice.  Would you say the 2 workouts are equivalent? i'm 90% sure I want to do the same this year and run the HM instead of the MP workout. Just want to make sure i'm not cheating the plan - thoughts ?

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

DTF - Just my opinion, but if you want to run the half, I say do it.  It's certainly not the same training stimulus as the MP workout, but you'll be covering about the same distance, and I believe you'd get just as much out of racing a half to determine GMP as you would doing the MP miles.

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)

Rusk Runner

DTF - I would tend to agree with Paula however, I might say you could throw in a couple of cool down miles afterwards just to get the reminder of running on tired legs.  Those numbers is Pfitz's book are as worthless as they were when the guy who invented the formula made them.  If I used them, I would be training at paces way, way below what I am running, and never, ever realizing my potential as a runner.

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

I did this instead of the 18 miles workout the time I did Pfitz 18/70.  It just worked out that way for me for timing reasons.  I think they are similar in that you'll only 13 miles at a faster pace than you would've done this workout and you're not running the full 18 miles.

I've been using 182 as max, but just got that from the Pfitz suggestion in the book. Lol - that one run my monitor said over 200 but I think that was an error. I've actually never worn the monitor during a race. It may be mental, but I feel I perform better without it in racing conditions

Question - planning my tune up races and need your opinion.  Week 5 long run has 18 miles with 14 at MP.  It is the final MP long run for Pfitz before taper. Last year, I did a half marathon tune up at full HM race pace, in lieu of the workout. It was a PB and great race practice.  Would you say the 2 workouts are equivalent? i'm 90% sure I want to do the same this year and run the HM instead of the MP workout. Just want to make sure i'm not cheating the plan - thoughts ?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

DTF - If I used the HR tables instead of real data, then I would have to be sprinting every run to get in the right HR zone.

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

DetroitTigerFan

Nick - Yeah, i'm starting to realize this too. As an example:

Recovery runs - heart rate range < 137

• When I run for 137, my pace is about 10:00. Hansons says it should be 11:15 !! (Pfitz has no pace suggestion)

Easy run - heart rate range 127-147

• When I run 147, my pace is about 9:24.
                        • Pfitz says my pace should be 10:05-10:58 and Hansons says 9:51 to 10:34 

DTF - If I used the HR tables instead of real data, then I would have to be sprinting every run to get in the right HR zone.

Wondering where I go from here - keep running at heart rate or adopt Hansons paces for my Pfitz plan Smile

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Rusk Runner

DTF - Just figure out (as close as possible ) what your MHR is.  Google how to do a test on a hill or an inclined treadmill.  You might find out that your zones are totally different than what you are using now.

Just Run!!!

Smashy!!!

DTF, +1 for running the race!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Rusk Runner

DTF - What is your goal marathon pace, what paces are you running your training runs at, and why?

Just Run!!!

Ball of Fury

I have been really bad about checking here, since I just find facebook so much easier!  But, hey guys!  I did 5.73 @ 10:17/mile this morning. Took it very easy since it was my first back to back run since April and because my legs are super tired from doing Insanity and running.  ITB is doing well though.

DTF:  I agree with Indy...do the HM at GMP and then add a couple cool down miles.

MHR:  My measured MHR is 192, which I hit during an Insanity workout, so I would say my max is around 197 but who knows.  I do not train by heart rate however.  I probably should, I just don't.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 6 miles tonight.

Ami, great job on this morning's run!

Damaris

Fundraising Page