Sub-4 Marathon Group

March 2013 (Read 56 times)

Smashy!!!

Good March Donuts!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Ball of Fury

Yay...it's March...closer to spring!  I got my tempo in at 4:30 this morning!  I wanted to do 10 total but DD decided she should also get up at 3:45 so I had to get her settled back down and that took a little bit, so I cut the warm-up and cool-down to 3 miles total.  The tempo portion was 6 miles and my goal is 8:00/mile...finished in 47:54, so I think that is pretty close!  It was a tough run, mostly because it was raining (which my weather app neglected to tell me) and I was wearing my Pure Flows...the only complaint I have about those shoes is they are a little slippery, so I had to watch my footing.  Anyway, I am really happy I got the run finished and was able to hit my pace pretty well, especially since it was a hillier route than I had been using for tempos.  I am excited but nervous about the 10K next weekend, so that prompts my QOD:  what is your strategy for racing a 10K?  Even splits?  Go out a little faster than goal (recommended in Competitive Runner's Handbook)?  Go out a little slower than goal?  I hope you all have a fantastic first day of March!

Rollcast:  Nice 4 miler!  I think's it's great that your foot numbness was relieved by re-lacing your shoes...just goes to show you that little bitty things can affect our runs a ton!

Indy:  I hope you enjoy your 12-miler in the snow...sounds nice!  When you run in the dark, do you sometimes feel like you are going faster than you are?  I read an article on runner's world that our perceptions are off in the dark and it feels like you are going faster.  This morning, I felt like I was flying at times, but I would look down and would be something like 8:05!  I have no idea why my words suddenly became bigger and blue but I can't fix it...lol!

Jedi:  Enjoy your SRD...you have earned it!  Yep, as you can see, I got the tempo in!

Banshee:  Sorry to hear about your stomach flu and I hope you are feeling better.  I commented on your amenorrhea thread so check it out when you get a chance!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

onemile

Regardless of the race distance, I always try to go for even splits (usually my first mile might be 10 seconds faster than planned and the last mile too) but my splits usually come out fairly evenly.

Jedi - For me, I think part of running faster at the track is that my track is only 2 lanes and if you are going slightly slower than someone but only a tiny bit you don't want to be a creeper and hang behind them, so you speed up a touch to pass.  And no wind / completely flat helps too. I have been trying to limit the indoor track to once a week primarily to save my ITBs but secondly, I think forcing myself to run in tough conditions (wind, cold, rain) helps with the mental toughness aspect too.  Cool that you are now officially signed up for your HMs!!  Enjoy the rest today.

Indi - good luck on the 12.

Cbus - I would encourage you not to skip your run today but rather run very slow and easy.  Unless you are feeling like you are risking injury by running.  Hansons wants you to run even if you're tired and sore - they say so specifically in the book.  It's all about training yourself to run while tired.  It will get better.  I was looking for an excuse to skip runs for feeling exhausted so I've re-read that part a few times Smile

I have 7 easy on my schedule for tonight and for the first time since I started Hansons I actually feel like doing more than what I have planned.  (That's how I typically am with any schedule - adding miles on a whim - but Hansons is not a typical program).   I take this as a good sign that I'm getting adjusted to the program. My easy pace last night was 9:45 and when I first started Hansons, it was all I could do to run 10:30s on the day after MP run.  So hopefully this means I'm getting stronger.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

I fogot it was March 1st already!Smile

Morning Donuts! RD for me today but got in a lite 20min spin with some core and rolling too. Registered for both my spring HM's last nite so my spring schedule is set and excited for race next week. Registering for races kinda just makes it real and official. Plan to reg for Philly as soon as it opens after that debocle with Chicago now being a lottery.

I like the MP discussion. I agree with indi if you're doing them at HMP that is way too fast, but with most of you do Hanson don't think that is case. I think if you're within +/- 2-5sec you're fine. Youre not going to be perfect on race day anyway. i try to use this logic no matter the run. I've really tried to zone in on my pace this cycle. I've had runs where 3 or4 mile splits are all exactly the same. That is when you know you're in the zone.Smile

AmiK - get you tempo in? EDIT - nice job on improvising. Girl after my own heart running at 4am.Smile

Roll - good luck with your HM this weekend

Banshee - hope you're feeling better

onemile - nice easy 8 miler. I always feel faster on track. Some of my friends do their tempos on track.

indi - have a solid 12 miler today

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

onemile - heard same thing about track and ITB. Way to be smart. I like to add miles too. i never run .00 on the dot. usually at least a .1 or .3 etc. Hansons seems to be aggreeing with you. I've noticed same thing with my easy pace. When I started I was 8:50-9:00 and now easy is 8:30-8:40, but closer to 8:30 side. Sometimes faster if feeling good that day.

Regardless of the race distance, I always try to go for even splits (usually my first mile might be 10 seconds faster than planned and the last mile too) but my splits usually come out fairly evenly.

Jedi - For me, I think part of running faster at the track is that my track is only 2 lanes and if you are going slightly slower than someone but only a tiny bit you don't want to be a creeper and hang behind them, so you speed up a touch to pass.  And no wind / completely flat helps too. I have been trying to limit the indoor track to once a week primarily to save my ITBs but secondly, I think forcing myself to run in tough conditions (wind, cold, rain) helps with the mental toughness aspect too.  Cool that you are now officially signed up for your HMs!!  Enjoy the rest today.

Indi - good luck on the 12.

Cbus - I would encourage you not to skip your run today but rather run very slow and easy.  Unless you are feeling like you are risking injury by running.  Hansons wants you to run even if you're tired and sore - they say so specifically in the book.  It's all about training yourself to run while tired.  It will get better.  I was looking for an excuse to skip runs for feeling exhausted so I've re-read that part a few times Smile

I have 7 easy on my schedule for tonight and for the first time since I started Hansons I actually feel like doing more than what I have planned.  (That's how I typically am with any schedule - adding miles on a whim - but Hansons is not a typical program).   I take this as a good sign that I'm getting adjusted to the program. My easy pace last night was 9:45 and when I first started it was all I could do to run 10:30s on the day after MP run.  So hopefully this means I'm getting stronger.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 6 recovery miles tonight after the chiro.

And somebody brought donuts to celebrate sequestration and furloughs, woohoo!  Crap.

AmiK, great tempo run!

onemile, enjoy your 7.

jedi, enjoy your rest day.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

onemile

It's kind of funny, when I started doing Hansons I was kind of hating it but it's grown on me.  And the other day I was typing up the Pfitz 12/70 plan because I was considering using that for my fall marathon and I'm thinking sooo many easy days, I don't know if I like that.  Most weeks only have one quality day and I don't know if that's enough.  What?? Did I really say that??

We'll see how my marathon goes before I decide though Smile

Ball of Fury

Docket:  Enjoy the chiro and your recovery miles!

I forgot to share my funny story from yesterday.  I was working with a new surgery and one of the x-ray techs and I were talking about the Monumental marathon, because she was thinking about Chicago but it was too expensive and the whole lottery situation, so I was encouraging her to do Monumental.  The surgery says, "Oh yeah, my girlfriend ran that last year.  She is a pretty good runner."  So, not thinking much of it (he is not a person I would call athletic or that I could see as a runner, but obviously I know nothing about her!), I asked her time, and he says, "2:56!"  I was like, "for the full? or the half?"  He says, "Oh, the full.  She placed 3rd!"  I would say that yes, she is a "pretty good" runner!

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Yeah, with Daniels and 3 quality days if i have anything less I start having some withdrawal.Smile

It's kind of funny, when I started doing Hansons I was kind of hating it but it's grown on me.  And the other day I was typing up the Pfitz 12/70 plan because I was considering using that for my fall marathon and I'm thinking sooo many easy days, I don't know if I like that.  Most weeks only have one quality day and I don't know if that's enough.  What?? Did I really say that??

Up Next:

???

Ball of Fury

I am really enjoying the Hanson plan and am pretty sure we will use it for our fall marathon!

onemile

And this is so not me.

I don't know what happened.  I'm the queen of easy miles.  Big grin

Yeah, with Daniels and 3 quality days if i have anything less I start having some withdrawal.Smile

onemile

Yeah a 2:56 marathon is a pretty good runner for sure!

Docket:  Enjoy the chiro and your recovery miles!

I forgot to share my funny story from yesterday.  I was working with a new surgery and one of the x-ray techs and I were talking about the Monumental marathon, because she was thinking about Chicago but it was too expensive and the whole lottery situation, so I was encouraging her to do Monumental.  The surgery says, "Oh yeah, my girlfriend ran that last year.  She is a pretty good runner."  So, not thinking much of it (he is not a person I would call athletic or that I could see as a runner, but obviously I know nothing about her!), I asked her time, and he says, "2:56!"  I was like, "for the full? or the half?"  He says, "Oh, the full.  She placed 3rd!"  I would say that yes, she is a "pretty good" runner!

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Was going to take a URD, but with what Onemile said, I'll try and do my scheduled 5 today. But I tell ya, I'm really feeling it right now. No injury risk. Just worried I won't be able to hit my paces on quality days anymore. Maybe I'll do my Sunday 10 at Easy pace instead of LR pace.

Regarding hitting paces during training. This is the part of the Hansons book that got me thinking one needed to be on pace: "Imagine if you are instructed to run 6 x 800 meter repeats at 5K pace. Let's say this pace is 6:00/mile, or 3:00 for 800 meters. If you do the first three intervals at 2:45, 2:45, and 2:55, there's a good chance the last three will be around 3:10, 3:15, and perhaps 3:10. While you averaged 3:00, you failed to hit a single interval at the prescribed pace. This means that you didn't accumulate any training at the desired pace, which was specifically set to stimulate aerobic capacity" (11). This, especially the example that is :05 off pace, gave me the impression that the Hansons want you on the pace they dictate. They are not even satisfied when the avg. is on target. Later in the book, Humphrey writes, "While some runners feel that paces hold them back, in reality proper pacing will propel you forward in the end. Fight the temptation to buy into the "If some is good, more is better" mentality, and keep in mind the specific goal of each particular workout" (79). This reinforced the issue for me. The goal of the Hansons' Tempo is to give one "the opportunity to firmly learn your desired race pace through repetition.... eventually making it second nature" (75). He adds: "When runners cannot tell if they are close to pace, the tendency is to be off pace (usually too fast), setting them up for unavoidable doom" (75). So, that's why I focus on doing the workout as close to on-pace as I can. In retrospect, I don't even think it is all the difficult, which I attribute to the effort I put into this task during training. Maybe at first, I had a hard time being on-pace. But now I'm able to feel when I'm off-pace, and that's when I check my watch, which I don't find all that cumbersome.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

mdawg87

Good morning and Happy March donuts!  I too am ready for spring.  Strength training, cycling, and stretching at the gym this morning.  I'm going to bag my outside run this weekend.  We've got a cold front coming waaayyy down south and may actually get some snow flurries on Saturday.  Too cold and windy for this hothouse flower.  Plus I'm not training for anything so why make myself miserable.  It's back to the TM I go.  I know, I know, it's nothing like what many of you face every day, but I'm not called "hothouse flower" for nothing!

Banshee:  I didn't check the Feb thread this morning.  Sounds like you're sick.  Hope you feel better.

AmiK:  I was very excited about using Hansons marathon training until I got injured.  I think you'll like it.

Off to check the last of the Feb thread...

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

onemile

Run it extra slow and trust the program.  I spent the first half of the program questioning if I would be recovered enough to hit the next workout. But so far so good.

The 5 seconds in this scenario though is for an 800, so that would really be 10 seconds off per mile.  Which is a bigger margin.

And doesn't this apply to doing your LR at the prescribed pace then too?   Joking

Hey all,

Was going to take a URD, but with what Onemile said, I'll try and do my scheduled 5 today. But I tell ya, I'm really feeling it right now. No injury risk. Just worried I won't be able to hit my paces on quality days anymore. Maybe I'll do my Sunday 10 at Easy pace instead of LR pace.

Regarding hitting paces during training. This is the part of the Hansons book that got me thinking one needed to be on pace: "Imagine if you are instructed to run 6 x 800 meter repeats at 5K pace. Let's say this pace is 6:00/mile, or 3:00 for 800 meters. If you do the first three intervals at 2:45, 2:45, and 2:55, there's a good chance the last three will be around 3:10, 3:15, and perhaps 3:10. While you averaged 3:00, you failed to hit a single interval at the prescribed pace. This means that you didn't accumulate any training at the desired pace, which was specifically set to stimulate aerobic capacity" (11). This, especially the example that is :05 off pace, gave me the impression that the Hansons want you on the pace they dictate. They are not even satisfied when the avg. is on target. Later in the book, Humphrey writes, "While some runners feel that paces hold them back, in reality proper pacing will propel you forward in the end. Fight the temptation to buy into the "If some is good, more is better" mentality, and keep in mind the specific goal of each particular workout" (79). This reinforced the issue for me. The goal of the Hansons' Tempo is to give one "the opportunity to firmly learn your desired race pace through repetition.... eventually making it second nature" (75). He adds: "When runners cannot tell if they are close to pace, the tendency is to be off pace (usually too fast), setting them up for unavoidable doom" (75). So, that's why I focus on doing the workout as close to on-pace as I can. In retrospect, I don't even think it is all the difficult, which I attribute to the effort I put into this task during training. Maybe at first, I had a hard time being on-pace. But now I'm able to feel when I'm off-pace, and that's when I check my watch, which I don't find all that cumbersome.