Sub-4 Marathon Group

March 2013 (Read 56 times)

Morning all!

Just a quick contribution to the pace discussion- I find my pace varies according to terrain, winds etc. so while I sometimes run several consecutive kilometres on a flat road at a very constant pace, I also will see a biggish variance on rolling hills. I also have the habit of speeding up towards the end of a run- when I get within a couple of miles of home I want to get it over with!

I am NOT a good example, but I do think perceived effort is also important.

On the number of quality days- as an older individual I have definitely noticed both that I have less physical strength than I used to, and that it takes longer to recover from a hard effort. (RVD may be able to confirm, but I think this is common among people over 60).

I seem to find that I am losing approximately 1% per year in terms of running performance, and I tend to find a week with one long run and one speed effort, either tempo or intervals, is plenty for me. I also prefer to run a maximum of 5 times per week not 6 times.

Another vote for candid discussions and honest answers rather than cheerleading.

Wishing everyone a great running month!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Smashy!!!

I do trust the program. That 's not the issue. I don't feel well--that's the issue. Skipping runs is not ideal. But neither is DNF a workout, which I almost did last Thurs, Sun, Tues. and yesterday. Can I really go through 6 more weeks of training almost DNFing every Quality day? Or will I actually DNF at some point?

I don't read it that way. I don't see the :05 as a metric. I just see the point made that one must be on-pace, regardless of the workout. And off pace means that: off pace.

And I do run my LR at prescribed pace. If I do my LR this Sunday at Easy pace, it is because I need recovery. Next week, is 7, 3x2mi @ GHMP - :10, 7 tempo, 6, 6, 12. I might not make it.

Run it extra slow and trust the program.  I spent the first half of the program questioning if I would be recovered enough to hit the next workout. But so far so good.

The 5 seconds in this scenario though is for an 800, so that would really be 10 seconds off per mile.  Which is a bigger margin.

And doesn't this apply to doing your LR at the prescribed pace then too?   Joking

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Dreamn

Wow, it's March already?!  Only 16 days until Shamrock Big grin.

AmiK, cute story.  I'd like a 2:56, but I can't pretend that I have the drive or desire to train for that.

All of this pace, Hanson, Pfitz discussion makes me dread picking a plan.  I am eager to see how the Hanson plans turn out for more people.

onemile

To me, a few seconds faster than goal pace is on pace.  Or a few seconds slower. But doing V02 max runs 10 seconds faster / or slower (like the example) is different.

By not feeling well, do you mean tired and sore, or is it more than that?

I had a rough stretch where I was dreading every run and just feeling worn down and exhausted.  But it's better now. And I think that's because I have gotten stronger and I would expect the same for you if you can hang in there a little longer.

I do trust the program. That 's not the issue. I don't feel well--that's the issue. Skipping runs is not ideal. But neither is DNF a workout, which I almost did last Thurs, Sun, Tues. and yesterday. Can I really go through 6 more weeks of training almost DNFing every Quality day? Or will I actually DNF at some point?

I don't read it that way. I don't see the :05 as a metric. I just see the point made that one must be on-pace, regardless of the workout. And off pace means that: off pace.

And I do run my LR at prescribed pace. If I do my LR this Sunday at Easy pace, it is because I need recovery. Next week, is 7, 3x2mi @ GHMP - :10, 7 tempo, 6, 6, 12. I might not make it.

onemile

Here's another interesting question - kind of along the lines of the Hansons/Pfitz, choosing a plan discussion.

Do you think that a person would get more benefit from doing fewer miles but more quality (say 50-60mpw) or doing less quality but more miles (say 70-80 mpw).  For me I think there's a limit to what I can handle - and I can't do both. Maybe some day but not right now.

Ball of Fury

Docket:  I have the drive and desire to train for it, but don't think I have the natural talent nor the time to do so!

Onemile:  I think that's a great question but the answer if probably different for different types of runners.  Obviously, running 70-80 miles WITH quality runs is more ideal, but it's just not possible for all of us.  So, for myself, who has some natural speed but sometimes struggles with endurance, miles over quality may be a better approach.  For someone who is on the slower side but has natural endurance, fewer miles with quality might be best.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Smashy!!!

To me, a few seconds faster than goal pace is on pace.  Or a few seconds slower. But doing V02 max runs 10 seconds faster / or slower (like the example) is different.

By not feeling well, do you mean tired and sore, or is it more than that?

I had a rough stretch where I was dreading every run and just feeling worn down and exhausted.  But it's better now. And I think that's because I have gotten stronger and I would expect the same for you if you can hang in there a little longer.

By not feeling well, I mean just that: not feeling well. It's more than tired and sore (do you think I'd really whine about fatigue and soreness?). My heart feels like it's beating in my stomach. My brain feels like its oozing out of my nostrils. My lungs feel like they are in my throat. (And I'm irritable, if you can't tell by now!).

But I'm gonna try to get my run in. It'll be after 3 by the time I have the opportunity to run, which will mean a full 24 hours between runs--and that usually helps. I'm also chowing down a bunch of food and guzzling coffee to try and get my through the day. So, I'll try to get it done--I promise. (You just get on pace.)

Smashy!!!

Here's another interesting question - kind of along the lines of the Hansons/Pfitz, choosing a plan discussion.

Do you think that a person would get more benefit from doing fewer miles but more quality (say 50-60mpw) or doing less quality but more miles (say 70-80 mpw).  For me I think there's a limit to what I can handle - and I can't do both. Maybe some day but not right now.

I think it's different for different people. There's only so much increase in quantity that a person can adapt to. So if it's someone who is used to running 40 MPW, going to 80, even if it is all easy, might not benefit as much as only increasing into the 50-60s with quality days. If it's someone who is used to doing 70-90 MPW, then they might not benefit by going down in mileage--heck, they might not benefit by going up into 100-120 range, but rather by adding some quality. And then there is a ceiling for some people. If 60 is that ceiling, then it don't matter if it's all easy, 70-80 is an injury risk. So, I think it all depends.

onemile

Well if you are actually sick, it's different.  That's why I asked.  In this case, maybe a rest day is in order.

By not feeling well, I mean just that: not feeling well. It's more than tired and sore (do you think I'd really whine about fatigue and soreness?). My heart feels like it's beating in my stomach. My brain feels like its oozing out of my nostrils. My lungs feel like they are in my throat. (And I'm irritable, if you can't tell by now!).

But I'm gonna try to get my run in. It'll be after 3 by the time I have the opportunity to run, which will mean a full 24 hours between runs--and that usually helps. I'm also chowing down a bunch of food and guzzling coffee to try and get my through the day. So, I'll try to get it done--I promise. (You just get on pace.)

Smashy!!!

I'm not sick. I just feel lousy. I guess it could be classified as fatigue. But I feel like fatigue doesn't quite capture it. Basically, I feel like a zombie. Sorry, if I sound grumpy today--like I said, part of this fatigue is manifesting as irritability; I really do appreciate you prodding me on (except the 5K stuff--that crosses the line).

Well if you are actually sick, it's different.  That's why I asked.  In this case, maybe a rest day is in order.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

if you're sick take the RD. That's what i did last week and took 2 in fact. Hard enough for your body to recover from a run with out being sick on top of it too.

I think with VO2 workouts if you run them too fast you will be out of gas by the end. Another example of, as long as you're in the 2-5sec range for entire set you're getting the workout in the way it should be.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Morning all!

Just a quick contribution to the pace discussion- I find my pace varies according to terrain, winds etc. so while I sometimes run several consecutive kilometres on a flat road at a very constant pace, I also will see a biggish variance on rolling hills. I also have the habit of speeding up towards the end of a run- when I get within a couple of miles of home I want to get it over with!

I am NOT a good example, but I do think perceived effort is also important.

On the number of quality days- as an older individual I have definitely noticed both that I have less physical strength than I used to, and that it takes longer to recover from a hard effort. (RVD may be able to confirm, but I think this is common among people over 60).

I seem to find that I am losing approximately 1% per year in terms of running performance, and I tend to find a week with one long run and one speed effort, either tempo or intervals, is plenty for me. I also prefer to run a maximum of 5 times per week not 6 times.

Another vote for candid discussions and honest answers rather than cheerleading.

Wishing everyone a great running month!

Well, we're very different.  I prefer to run 7 days a week.  With the Hanson program I'm getting the three quality workouts per week and often want to go faster than I should on the other days. I was also doing 3 - 6 on the one SRD in this 40 - 60 mpw program.

I just purchased the Hanson 20 week 60 - 80 program to use for Chicago.  I don't seem to be getting slower this year.  In fact, I'm kinda hoping to PR at all distances this year (5k, 10k, HM & FM).  Of course, some of those PRs are pretty soft.

Smashy!!!

I'm not sick.

if you're sick take the RD. That's what i did last week and took 2 in fact. Hard enough for your body to recover from a run with out being sick on top of it too.

I think with VO2 workouts if you run them too fast you will be out of gas by the end. Another example of, as long as you're in the 2-5sec range for entire set you're getting the workout in the way it should be.

onemile

I guess only you can decide if you really NEED a rest day or just really WANT one. For me it was the latter.  And I pushed through the fatigue and it ended up getting better.  But you are running harder paces than I am and I don't know if it's the same as what I was experiencing with the full plan.

I'm not sick. I just feel lousy. I guess it could be classified as fatigue. But I feel like fatigue doesn't quite capture it. Basically, I feel like a zombie. Sorry, if I sound grumpy today--like I said, part of this fatigue is manifesting as irritability; I really do appreciate you prodding me on (except the 5K stuff--that crosses the line).

BTW, have you signed up for that 5k yet?

Joking

Smashy!!!

Like I said, I'll give it a go today. If I DNF, then I have my answer, and at least it's just an easy day. If after today I really feel terrible, then I can take Sat. off. And doing Sunday as an easy day instead of a LR is always a possibility. In my mind, I feel like if I can just make it passed week 13, then I'll be okay. So, if I need a more aggressive cutback week, I'll do it during 14.

I guess only you can decide if you really NEED a rest day or just really WANT one. For me it was the latter.  And I pushed through the fatigue and it ended up getting better.  But you are running harder paces than I am and I don't know if it's the same as what I was experiencing with the full plan.

BTW, have you signed up for that 5k yet?

Joking

Once Jedi posts the picture proof of his bikini clad 5K--that was the deal, wasn't it?