Sub-4 Marathon Group

March 2013 (Read 56 times)

White Lightning

Thanks for the congrats everyone.  Breaking that 50 mile mark is a pretty big win for me.  this DST has really messed with my schedule, blah

Roll - If only they were all so easy....

Simon - good job getting the 9 in even though it wasn't too comfortable

Amik/mdawg - great gym workouts

Question - How much taper would "you" need to run a HM at almost 100%.  I have my HM next Saturday and really want to race this thing to see where I'm really at.  I have a feeling this week is going to be tough with my 6 mile tempo on Friday and 20 miler on Sunday with 54 miles total and a mileage PR again.  My plan is to run this week as scheduled taking everything really easy except the tempo but then shorten my 14 miler next Wednesday.   I "Think" I can be recovered for my Saturday race if I make that change and run all of my easy stuff really easy.  Then the week after just play it by ear.  I seem to be recovering really well from my quality workouts so far but mileage PR's two weeks in a row before a HM makes me a bit nervous.  Any ideas/thoughts?  You can see my schedule on my training plan

Play the Game Hard!

cmb4314

Congrats Jedi, Flinders, and AmiK on the races!

Question - How much taper would "you" need to run a HM at almost 100%.  I have my HM next Saturday and really want to race this thing to see where I'm really at.  I have a feeling this week is going to be tough with my 6 mile tempo on Friday and 20 miler on Sunday with 54 miles total and a mileage PR again.  My plan is to run this week as scheduled taking everything really easy except the tempo but then shorten my 14 miler next Wednesday.   I "Think" I can be recovered for my Saturday race if I make that change and run all of my easy stuff really easy.  Then the week after just play it by ear.  I seem to be recovering really well from my quality workouts so far but mileage PR's two weeks in a row before a HM makes me a bit nervous.  Any ideas/thoughts?  You can see my schedule on my training plan

You're doing the HM in place of the 16 with 12 at MP, right?

I remember being surprised, at that point in the training program, how well my body was handling the mileage, but that I do remember that the 12@MP was really challenging because I was tired and ready for the cutback week.  I think that what you're planning on doing seems reasonable - you will probably want to be a little bit more rested than you would otherwise be for that day's run, particularly since you're doing the race on Saturday and the MP run was originally scheduled for Sunday, which would have given even one more day's recovery from the 14 miler.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Smashy!!!

Josh, before this cycle, I would say, a one week taper. My usual preparation was to cut back two weeks out, and then taper the week of the race. And I was usually good. This cycle, as you know, I'm basically tapering since last week (which would make it like a 5 week taper). So I think it depends on your status. If you feel "normal," then I think a 7-10 day taper should be sufficient--2 weeks tops.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

onemile

I have a HM March 24th. I'm trying to cut back my mileage enough to run it well but not sacrifice my weekly mileage for marathon training.  My schedule is in my log.  Is this enough to run my best race? Probably not.  Is it good enough?  We'll see.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Josh - I think I can answer this one. I just did a 10-day taper for my HM and ran a 4minute PR.Smile I did last real quality day 10-days out and then tapered hard. race week looked like 5-8-RD-4-2-13.1.

Thanks for the congrats everyone.  Breaking that 50 mile mark is a pretty big win for me.  this DST has really messed with my schedule, blah

Roll - If only they were all so easy....

Simon - good job getting the 9 in even though it wasn't too comfortable

Amik/mdawg - great gym workouts

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Docket_Rocket

I agree with this.  Could you do something like a cutback week the week of the HM?

Congrats Jedi, Flinders, and AmiK on the races!

You're doing the HM in place of the 16 with 12 at MP, right?

I remember being surprised, at that point in the training program, how well my body was handling the mileage, but that I do remember that the 12@MP was really challenging because I was tired and ready for the cutback week.  I think that what you're planning on doing seems reasonable - you will probably want to be a little bit more rested than you would otherwise be for that day's run, particularly since you're doing the race on Saturday and the MP run was originally scheduled for Sunday, which would have given even one more day's recovery from the 14 miler.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

onemile

Jedi - what do you think of my mini-taper in my log?  Does that seem like enough?

Josh - I think I can answer this one. I just did a 10-day taper for my HM and ran a 4minute PR.Smile I did last real quality day 10-days out and then tapered hard. race week looked like 5-8-RD-4-2-13.1.

White Lightning

Would anyone run a 20 miler 6 days out from your HM?  Maybe I run that 20 this Friday instead which would give me a 7-8 day taper and turn that tempo into a goal HMP run about 5 days pre-race?

Play the Game Hard!

Docket_Rocket

You mean before?  I've done it and PRd on the HM but if you really want to give it your all and make the PR bigger, do something like 16.

Would anyone run a 20 miler 6 days out from your HM?  Maybe I run that 20 this Friday instead which would give me a 7-8 day taper and turn that tempo into a goal HMP run about 5 days pre-race?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

onemile

+1

You mean before?  I've done it and PRd on the HM but if you really want to give it your all and make the PR bigger, do something like 16.

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Jedi - Congrats on the race!

Not much time for too much posting today- work is still killing me.  So much so that I am feeling overtrained on the 18/55 schedule.  I think I am going to drop it for now and go back to Higdon Intermediate I.  I can't do 14 mile runs during the week while I am pulling 14 hour days.  I just don't have time for it.  the end result is me just skipping the runs altogether, which is discouraging.  I've also only been running for around 2 years, and ran my first half about a year ago, so I guess I have time to do something more difficult later Smile

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Ball of Fury

Sprinkles:  I don't blame you a bit!  Even PFitz says in his book that some people just have jobs that are super demanding that don't allow them to get as many miles in!  I would think that picking a feasible plan like HH and sticking with it would be much better than skipping runs....especially mentally!  Oh and you will be happy to know I did not see a single sparkle skirt at my race Saturday!

Jedi - Congrats on the race!

Not much time for too much posting today- work is still killing me.  So much so that I am feeling overtrained on the 18/55 schedule.  I think I am going to drop it for now and go back to Higdon Intermediate I.  I can't do 14 mile runs during the week while I am pulling 14 hour days.  I just don't have time for it.  the end result is me just skipping the runs altogether, which is discouraging.  I've also only been running for around 2 years, and ran my first half about a year ago, so I guess I have time to do something more difficult later Smile

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

nachosgrande

Cbus - Yes!  It was a thriller for the Bruins on Saturday.  Nice to be able to say we're Pac-12 Champs for the first time!  Smile  Also, glad to see you back on the roads.

I'm fairly certain that my left leg injury issues are stemming from extremely tight calf muscle(s) that I can't seem to loosen up, no matter the amount of stretching, foam rolling and Sticking.  I've come to the realization that I need to get proactive if I'm ever going to recover and an ART massage or Graston session seems like the next logical step for me.  My insurance says it covers PT/Chiro for rehab purposes - so I think I'm going to ask my doc for a referral this week.  Sick of being sidelined.

Been sticking to the exercise bike of late.  Roughly four to five 50 minute sessions per week.  They've all been solid cardio workouts at 75-85% of max heart rate.  Actually getting in really good shape of late, despite dropping the running.  Now down 13 pounds since January 1.

nachosgrande

Sprinkles - Sounds like a wise decision.  I was an idiot and used 18/55 for my first marathon and now I've mostly lost the last five months to nagging injuries tied to my marathon training.  I sometimes wish I could go back and just focus on HMs for a couple of years while slowly building mileage.

nachosgrande

Whoops...double post....not sure how to delete.