Sub-4 Marathon Group

March 2013 (Read 56 times)

Rusk Runner

Cbus - I assume the thought that you are overtraining has entered your mind.  If it hasnt maybe it should.  Maybe the paces you have chosen are too much for you at the moment.  Maybe all of the quality in the program is too much for you at the moment.  Be honest and frank with yourself at this point in time because in the event you are suffering from overtraining, pushing harder and trying to prove something to yourself or somebody else will possibly derail everything you have gained over the last several months.

If you are overtrained, and you are without a doubt describing the symptoms of such, you need to cutback and do some easy running. Do you know what your resting heart rate is?  If so, has it been elevated lately?

And I apologize if it sounds like I am trying to be a downer.  I only mention any of this because I want you to be successful and I do care about your health.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

Sheesh, I go to a training and come back with 3 pages to read!

Cbus, I hope you feel better.  If you continue to feel that way, maybe the plan is getting to you?  Not sure what else can it be.  And what indiana said.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

White Lightning

Happy March everyone.  Ever so closer to warmer running and instead of everyone complaining about the snow/wind/ice we will be complaining about the heat/humidity/thunder storms, can't wait

Amik – Nice job on getting your tempo in.  No advice on the 10k though

Jedi – great singing up for your races.  It does make it real, something I’ve learned over the last year

Onemile – glad the plan is starting to settle in, promising for us who want to follow it in the future

Roll – good luck with this weekend

Cbus – I’m totally with you on nailing the proper paces down in that program to be successful.  I’m hoping I have a better idea on my paces after some more race experience this spring/summer to switch to a Hanson plan for fall, 5k included so I can nail down those interval workout paces Smile  Hope you feel better

Me – SRD and I “think” my legs have recovered a bit as I’m feeling pretty good today.  I look back and think I ran my easy stuff too hard last week (week averaged at 9:21).  I’m going to focus on running my easy stuff a bit easier and go hard on my quality days.  Switching my 12 miler to tomorrow instead of Sunday since we are in the 50’s tomorrow with snow/wind/cold on Sunday

Play the Game Hard!

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Nice question. I guess it would depend on the person. I've actually done it both ways. My last marathon cycle my latter weeks were in in high 60-70mpw range and definitely only did 1 or 2 days quality, but my main quality day would be a combo of speed with a MLR and 2nd quality day was the LR either just steady pace or with some type of quality. This cycle with Daniels i am averaging about 55mpw with 3 days quality most weeks and feel like it has done more for me fitness wise than any other cycle. i guess you could say it would depend on the person and what works best for them in training. If someone would go the 70-80mpw route i definitely do at least a 12wk base building phase before doing that for a marathon cycle meaning just easy miles for the base building otherwise you would probably injure yourself. This cycle has really taught me that quantity is not always the better option.

Here's another interesting question - kind of along the lines of the Hansons/Pfitz, choosing a plan discussion.

Do you think that a person would get more benefit from doing fewer miles but more quality (say 50-60mpw) or doing less quality but more miles (say 70-80 mpw).  For me I think there's a limit to what I can handle - and I can't do both. Maybe some day but not right now.

cbus - now that indiana mentions it there might be some weight to the overtraining scenerio. Might be best to take a RD then. i know this cycle I have really focused on taking one day as a recovery day. I don't take a regular RD all the time and maybe take a RD every 10-12 days. I think it has helped with all the quality i am doing.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Thanks for the good luck's fellow donuts!

indi - goal of 8:35 pace on the front side and closer to an 8:24 on the backside.

cbus - get through this and come out strong.

i am in an airport so i'll be back for individual shouts this evening.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Docket_Rocket

I forgot to say that overtraining can also occur even if the plan is not too much, IMO.  Our life, work, stresses, might be too much at one time making it harder for a person to do a certain training program and overtraining.  Not sure if that's what Cbus is experiencing or if it's just a phase, but hope you feel better!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

nachosgrande

As others have said, Cbus, be careful of overtraining.  If you're feeling that stressed, it might make sense to take an aggressive cutback week.  My understanding is that if you truly push yourself into an "overtrained" state it can take quite awhile for all your systems to normalize.  Hope you're feeling better soon.

Rusk Runner

12.13 miles done.  9:10 pace, light snow.  Felt good.  Just a comfortable run.

Amik - There was a time that I felt I was running faster in the dark but it passed after awhile.  I believe that I have gotten to the point though that I am officially a morning runner.  Waiting to run in the evening usually finds me not as energetic.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

White Lightning

Indi - nice 12

Hitting 63F outside right now and really wishing it wasn't a rest day Sad

Play the Game Hard!

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

indiana - I am so a morning runner too. Ran a LR in afternoon few weeks back and had nothing left at the end of a 12 miler. I like starting my day with a run.Smile

12.13 miles done.  9:10 pace, light snow.  Felt good.  Just a comfortable run.

Amik - There was a time that I felt I was running faster in the dark but it passed after awhile.  I believe that I have gotten to the point though that I am officially a morning runner.  Waiting to run in the evening usually finds me not as energetic.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Ball of Fury

Oh I am definitely a morning runner!!  If I wait, I will find every excuse in the world to skip a run!  In September, we ran the Tower of Terror 10-miler at 10 PM and I literally thought I might die...I was just exhausted and it was hot and just crazy to start a race that late!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Docket_Rocket

Never a good morning runner.  Humidity is too bad for my lungs then.  Plus I go to bed at midnight and have to be at the office by 7:30am, so no time either.

Chiro fixed my sacrum and it's in place.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

onemile

Cbus, I want to push you but only if you are healthy and benefit from it! By all means if you are feeling like you need it take a rest day.

I did want to add that one thing that has helped me is getting extra sleep.  (I don't know if this is an option for you but I've been going to bed an hour earlier most nights and also taking naps on the weekends.  It definitely helps with recovery!)

Docket_Rocket

What is this extra sleep you speak of?  In fact, what is sleep?

I only did 4.  Chiro wanted me to rest a bit, so 4 instead of 6.

Cbus, I want to push you but only if you are healthy and benefit from it! By all means if you are feeling like you need it take a rest day.

I did want to add that one thing that has helped me is getting extra sleep.  (I don't know if this is an option for you but I've been going to bed an hour earlier most nights and also taking naps on the weekends.  It definitely helps with recovery!)

Damaris

Fundraising Page

onemile

You should try it. It's quite amazing.  Big grin

What is this extra sleep you speak of?  In fact, what is sleep?

I only did 4.  Chiro wanted me to rest a bit, so 4 instead of 6.