Sub-4 Marathon Group

March 2013 (Read 56 times)

Smashy!!!

Given everything you've said, I don't think it's something like AT or a muscle tear. But it sounds like your calves are stressed, and that could turn into AT or peroneal tendon strain or a muscle injury. So continue to take it easy until that discomfort settles down, and then ease back into your running. I think with proper rest and recovery, you should be okay.

This is what I am thinking I can do eccentric heel lifts without pain- some soreness, yes, but that is distinct from pain.  I raced that thing hard. ..particularly the hills.  I was ready for it, but leading up to the race I hadn't been running as much as I would have liked due to work, and even had to rest the whole weekend before because of work issues.  It was also COLD the day of the race and I could NOT warm up the entire time, so my calves hurt starting on the first hill and continued until the race ended.  Typically, when it is cold, I wear compression socks to keep my tendons warm, but this time it didn't, and i had zero warmup.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

White Lightning

I feel a bit better today so hopefully today's SRD is enough to be back on my feet tomorrow.  The pain i'm having is in my left quad and hip which is the same thing that was in my right side at the beginning of the cycle but with PT and some stretching it went away.  So i'm hoping I can get this one worked out without losing anymore miles.  Just weird that's its the exact same thing on the left side.  50's and 60's coming in the next few days and its going to be really depressing if I need to take time off when its actually nice to run.

Play the Game Hard!

Docket_Rocket

Sprinkles, hope it's nothing serious!

joshlynn, feel better.

Hi, Cbus, Flinders, and all donuts.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

I think Pfitz is an advanced program, so maybe the buildup was not sufficient, as in timewise?  How long had you been doing 40mpw before starting Pfitz?  That could've been a reason.

I had been doing 30-35 before starting Pfitz, and peaked at 43 mpw so far with Pfitz, but the 30-35 had been for about 8 months consistently.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

mdawg87

I think Pfitz is an advanced program, so maybe the buildup was not sufficient, as in timewise?  How long had you been doing 40mpw before starting Pfitz?  That could've been a reason.

I was between 30 and 40 in February/March and then the low 40s March/April.  Started Pfitz at the beginning of June.  I believe it was enough time for a build up if I had been used to that type of mileage.  I don't think I'd ever run more than the low 30s prior to starting the build up in January...and that was in the previous fall marathon cycle.

If I'd been used to a 30+mile per week offseason (what I'm working on now...albeit slowly), I think I would've fared better.  So in essence, I agree.  It's an advanced program and the build up wasn't sufficient.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

I do think 30s was a little low for Pfitz and that could've been why you had some issues.  I did my first bout of Pfitz after running 45-50mpw for the 6 months prior and I thought it was almost bordeline above my head.  Had I not have run as much before I felt I wouldn't have done as well.  I love Pfitz though.  Are you using it again?  It might go better the second time now that you know what to expect.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

mdawg87

This is what I am thinking I can do eccentric heel lifts without pain- some soreness, yes, but that is distinct from pain.  I raced that thing hard. ..particularly the hills.  I was ready for it, but leading up to the race I hadn't been running as much as I would have liked due to work, and even had to rest the whole weekend before because of work issues.  It was also COLD the day of the race and I could NOT warm up the entire time, so my calves hurt starting on the first hill and continued until the race ended.  Typically, when it is cold, I wear compression socks to keep my tendons warm, but this time it didn't, and i had zero warmup.

Just be very careful.  I'd hate for it to turn into something worse.  If I'd listened to my calf/AT, I might've been able to avoid the injury I ended up with.

Rusk Runner

Damaris - hope the kitty is okay.

Onemile, Josh - Congrats on your races!

Sorry to be MIA so long but I have been super busy with the family stuff.  Sundays 16 turned into 14 since the heat and humidity were a huge change for me.  I ended up taking some walk breaks during the last couple of miles just to finish 14.  Then this morning it was a beautiful 44 and windy so I cruised through a nice 8 miler.  I will do 7 miles tomorrow.

My leg is feeling much better, probably due to the soft surfaces.  My heart rate is up but I think that has alot to do with all of the family stress, travel, missing 4 days of running, etc.  Hopefully all will be well for raceday.  I threw in a mile at MP today and it felt alot better than slow running.

Sorry to  carry on about myself.  Lets blame it on taper madness.

I kinda caught up on all thats going on.  Shoutout to all of you!  Happy running!

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

mdawg87

I do think 30s was a little low for Pfitz and that could've been why you had some issues.  I did my first bout of Pfitz after running 45-50mpw for the 6 months prior and I thought it was almost bordeline above my head.  Had I not have run as much before I felt I wouldn't have done as well.  I love Pfitz though.  Are you using it again?  It might go better the second time now that you know what to expect.

I'd like to.  I'd also like to try Hanson.  I'd need to get to the 45-50mpw base you mention above before I'd even consider it.  For my next marathon (hopefully this fall), I'm going to use something with a little lower mileage though.  I think I need to gradually step up vs. trying to leap up again.

Docket_Rocket

Maybe start base building before you start and see where you are at before day 1?  That worked for me.

I'd like to.  I'd also like to try Hanson.  I'd need to get to the 45-50mpw base you mention above before I'd even consider it.  For my next marathon (hopefully this fall), I'm going to use something with a little lower mileage though.  I think I need to gradually step up vs. trying to leap up again.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

cmb4314

Onemile and Josh - congrats on the races!

I started Pfitz 18/55 in late October/early November off of a mileage base in the 30s, and I adapted to it better than I had expected to.  I was into taper before I broke my ankle, and I was having some trouble with my IT band for the last couple of weeks of the program, but overall I think I missed 3 runs over 16 weeks - two when I had a chest cold, and one to let the IT band rest.  At the time I started, my lifetime average mileage on my RA log (~1.5 years) was 30mpw.  I had done one previous marathon cycle, a little over a year beforehand, where I had done mileage in the upper 40s/low 50s, though - I'm not sure how much that mattered.  Also, even though I had been doing only 30-35 mpw through the summer and fall, I had been incorporating a lot of speedwork to try to get faster at the 5k.

Doctor's appointment on Wednesday - crossing my fingers that I will leave there with at least an appointment for PT and the promise of walking soon.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Cmb- I was doing really well with pfitz until the half as well. Ugh. I hope you can walk soon.

went to graston. he doesn't think it's AT given the massive knot in my posterior tibialis and gastroc. I know have a six inch bruise on my right calf. Awesome. I hope it helps!  I am going to go back to my wave riders for awhile. I think maybe too much minimalism too fast was no good for me

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Docket_Rocket

Good luck at the doctor!

Onemile and Josh - congrats on the races!

I started Pfitz 18/55 in late October/early November off of a mileage base in the 30s, and I adapted to it better than I had expected to.  I was into taper before I broke my ankle, and I was having some trouble with my IT band for the last couple of weeks of the program, but overall I think I missed 3 runs over 16 weeks - two when I had a chest cold, and one to let the IT band rest.  At the time I started, my lifetime average mileage on my RA log (~1.5 years) was 30mpw.  I had done one previous marathon cycle, a little over a year beforehand, where I had done mileage in the upper 40s/low 50s, though - I'm not sure how much that mattered.  Also, even though I had been doing only 30-35 mpw through the summer and fall, I had been incorporating a lot of speedwork to try to get faster at the 5k.

Doctor's appointment on Wednesday - crossing my fingers that I will leave there with at least an appointment for PT and the promise of walking soon.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

mdawg87

Good morning!  Another 7 TM miles and stretching at the gym this morning.  Strength training tonight.  Another cold one today in the ATL...well relatively anyway.  I saw 70s in the forecast for next week though!  Hope this week is winter's last gasp.

Sprinkles:  I went to the Wave Riders from a lower drop shoe (Saucony).  That was just another reason I chose them.  They have been working very well for me.

Docket:  Good news on Trixie.  Hope all is well with her today.

cmb:  Fingers crossed you get the news you want from the doctor.

Indi:  We may be in Pensacola for a HM in early April.  Glad you are back and running.

Good morning donut and donuts.

Sprinkles - itll get better, be patient like Mdawg

CBus - how are you doing?

Josh - maybe its because your in balance - left and then right ??!!

Indi - you have lots of stress right now and then throw in taper, thats my guess on the elevated HR. "trust the taper". God news on the leg.

Mdawg - looks like steady progress for you, thats a relief

cmb - I am hopeful that the Dr will bring you good news.

one - how are the legs?

jedi - stomach better?

me - finished the week the way i wanted plus a couple of bonus miles for good behavior. Saturday 7 easy, Sunday was 7 miles with 7x200 mixed in at 7:00 pace. Felt great, finished the week with 33 miles, which is good for me. Still building to the 40 mpw goal.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27