Sub-4 Marathon Group

March 2013 (Read 56 times)

onemile

For my first (and only) marathon, I pinned the gels to my shorts and then tucked them inside. I took one every 5 miles (GU brand).  I haven't eaten a gel since 2010 though so I want to do a trial run or two during one of my MP runs (tomorrow is the first 16 w/ 10 at MP)

Docket_Rocket

I used to take one every 5 miles but in the last marathons where I PRd or was close to a PR, I only took 2 (Miles 10 and 20) and used Gatorade the rest of the way.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

White Lightning

onemile - Obviously its different for everyone but i take one every 45 minutes with a few ounces of water then Gatorade at the stops between the gu stops.

What a roller coaster.  Just did my legs & back workout and legs felt great.

Play the Game Hard!

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

My last race, I did a Gu every 6-7  miles or so, and hit all the Gatorade stops.  I have a 2-pouch Spibelt that seems to work well for carrying.  Each pouch can hold 3 or 4 Gu packets (or house keys, hotel room keycards, etc).  Though for training runs, I usually only take one about half way through -- when it is cold, I tend to use the pocket of a shell, or when it is hot, I run with a camelbak for runs of a distance where I would need fuel, so I use a pocket there.

I flaked out on my double today.  I got my lunch run in, but it was so windy that I had no motivation to go out again after work.  I can deal with cold sticking around too long, but I'm sick of the wind. 3.6 @ about 8:00.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

bagopux

Remember today is MCM registration day!

Got in to MCM.  Yay!  Was tied up at work at noon, but gf got me in.  She is truly awesome.

So, if anyone has run this one before, I have a couple of questions.  First, how do the logistics work as far as getting to the start line?  I mean, would it be to my great benefit to book a hotel immediately?  If so, is it best to take the metro, or is driving and parking feasible?

Second, the course doesn't look too bad.  Looks like there's a big hill at the beginning and end and the rest looks pretty flat.  Is that pretty much how it runs?  I ran the old National Marathon a couple of times (which is now the RnR DC I think) and didn't think it was too bad at all.  Is MCM similar?

Thanks,

Your Neighborhood Bagopux

Smashy!!!

I get those Cliff Blocks, and eat one block, like every other mile--I think.

You guys are cracking me up with all the name stuff. It's bar to believe those names aren't popular anymore. What about Shannon? Another classic 80s name.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

I took a shuttle from Crystal City to the starting line.  The line at the shuttles was huge.  We made it to the potta potties with time to just miss the start.  It was not bad, it was just that there were too many people there at the shuttle place.  We were there more than 1 hour prior to the start.  I am in too.  I love this race.

Got in to MCM.  Yay!  Was tied up at work at noon, but gf got me in.  She is truly awesome.

So, if anyone has run this one before, I have a couple of questions.  First, how do the logistics work as far as getting to the start line?  I mean, would it be to my great benefit to book a hotel immediately?  If so, is it best to take the metro, or is driving and parking feasible?

Second, the course doesn't look too bad.  Looks like there's a big hill at the beginning and end and the rest looks pretty flat.  Is that pretty much how it runs?  I ran the old National Marathon a couple of times (which is now the RnR DC I think) and didn't think it was too bad at all.  Is MCM similar?

Thanks,

Your Neighborhood Bagopux

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Trail Monster

Hey everyone! Sorry I went MIA. I truly lost all motivation during my taper for Shamrock. Between the stomach virus, having a never ending sinus infection/cold (still have it, in fact), and the cold weather I just gave up. I barely ran and I didn't even want to talk about running. Obviously that didn't work out so well for the race or my recovery. But now I think I've found some motivation again and I'm ready to move on and get ready for the next one. So I hope you'll take me back! I don't think I'll ever catch up on the 30 or so pages I've missed so please update me on how you're all doing and what's going on. Smile

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

ap4

I use Clif shot blocks predominantly, but have also used Hammer gels, and GU on occasion.  I've also tried Clif shots after picking them up at various races, but didn't care for the taste particularly.  If you have a sensitive stomach and are concerned re: digestibility, Fellrnr has a wikipedia entry comparing the contents and digestibility of the majority on the market.  Purely a preference thing, but I think the blocks are less messy if you can manage not to choke on them while sucking air and chewing.  Sometimes easier said than done.  I will carry a pack with me and take 2 at a time, starting around mile 7, then every 3-5 miles depending on how I'm feeling.  I have my wife hang on to another pack and will have a gel in my other pocket to balance out my weight and if I feel like I want something different.  I've tried the SPI belt and will use it to hold my number, but don't like how it fits when loaded.  What can I say, I'm kind of a fussy runner.

Rusk Runner

I am back, but not alot of time to post this morning.

1 gel every 4 miles or 30 minutes or so.  Fuel Belt race ready gel belt to hold keys, bib, and all the gels I need at the ready.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 8 with strides tonight.  Last night's 9 went OK.  The pace felt easy, but the HR was too high.  I also struggled during the last mile yet ran my fastest in a while.  I coughed for close to an hour after I stopped, which means I am still sick.  But overall, it was a nice run.

Trixie ate and cuddled, so yay.

Hi, banshee.  Glad to see you back.

indiana, hello!

I forgot to say I use Crank e-gels as they feel better on my stomach with my reflux.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

I also use Crank e-Gels.  I think they rest easier on the stomach.  I used 3 in the Shamrock.  If I remember right, I took them at miles 7, 13 & 18.  I had one more but was too lazy to use it around mile 22.

I have pretty much converted over to the FlipBelt.  I use it for everything from gels to my radio and phone (when I carry one.)

mdawg87

Hey y'all!  7 more TM miles at the gym this morning followed by stretching.  I'm going to start adding a mile a week on my long run until I get to 10.  That will put me at 30-32 miles per week depending on the other runs.  Those should usually be between 6 and 8 miles.  I think that's where I'll stay for a while.  Any fall marathon I do would be on a lower mileage plan than Pfitz so I'm comfortable with that as a base.

roll:  I use either a hydration belt/handheld, the pockets in my clothing, or pin them to my clothing.  It depends on the temperature and thus what I'm wearing...which dictates how I carry fuel.  Chocolate and Peanut Butter GUs are the only ones I can get down.  My stomach doesn't bother me with anything I've tried.  It's been the gag reflex issue with taste and texture.

Docket:  Yay for the good news on Trixie!

Banshee:  Welcome back!  Glad you found your mojo again.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

roll:  I use either a hydration belt/handheld, the pockets in my clothing, or pin them to my clothing.  It depends on the temperature and thus what I'm wearing...which dictates how I carry fuel.  Chocolate and Peanut Butter GUs are the only ones I can get down.  My stomach doesn't bother me with anything I've tried.  It's been the gag reflex issue with taste and texture.

Mdawg - do you use a handheld in each hand or switch from hand to hand will in locomotion?

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

I use a handheld (Frank Shorter harness) but replace the bottle that comes with it with a 700 ml disposable water bottle with a sports top lid.  I always run with it in my left hand for any races above 5k, and essentially for all training runs.  I got through the Shamrock full without having to stop for water.