Sub-4 Marathon Group

March 2013 (Read 56 times)

mdawg87

Sounds good Mdawg, although I think Simon could teach us a thing or two.  Did you say you were going to Pensacola?

Happy Birthday RV!

Damaris, do they call you Imelda every now and then?

Got 5 scheduled tomorrow and 12 Saturday. Folks, I have way to much stress in my life to be in taper right now.  Gonna try to keep positive.

DH was considering a HM on April 7th, but we decided on different plans for that weekend...going to The Final Four instead!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Docket- I am a BAD influence!  Did you get the cute kind with the pleats in the back? I have my eye on that one- good pockets! I have a black one that I love because its flattering.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

The reason I recommend the gel ready race belt is because you do not have to attach your bib number to your shirt during a race.  This is particularly helpful if you start a race and it is cold.  You can peel of whatever layers you have without needing to worry about your bib.  Also the gels are attached to the belt itself, leaving the pouch free for whatever else you may find necessary to carry.  The belt holds up to 10 gels ( I have carried 8 without a hint of a problem) and has never caused me any chaffing problems or discomfort.  

Indi - do you tuck your shirts in when you run? Weird question but I would imagine you would need to tuck your shirt in if using the belt to clip your bib to it for visibility.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Docket- I am a BAD influence!  

I bet that was fun in college! Cool

Smashy!!!

Ami - on your QOTD, last year i did my pfitz tune up HM 4-5 weeks before the marathon and i think it worked out really well.  I stopped racing after the HM - all my 10K tune ups were earlier - tried to hit the schedule as best i could. I was tempted to run a HM 2-3 weeks out. It's a popular hilly HM for some runners here training for the local annual marathon, but i just thought it was waay too risky for a pfitz plan with a time goal. I'm going to do the same 4-5 week race this year too

Question for those doing 12 x 400's - how long do you do your recovery lap for ?  I see the Hanson's book says 50-100% of the time. So, if you did a 2 minute interval, you'd recover in 1-2 minutes and startup.  I've been used to doing a full 400 lap fast and one 400 lap slow as opposed to the time rule.

Finally some good weather over here !!! a 50 degree heat wave !!!  whoever's sending the sun over please keep it going !!!!

Hope everyone's pony tail is nice and bouncy this good weather weekend !

Smile

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Rusk Runner

mdawg - Lucky couple!  Have a good time!  I am still upset over the Hoosiers debacle.

roll - Nope, I run with them out but I tuck them under the belt  When I race I wear a Pearl Izumi Fly singlet and it is fairly short.  I have never had a problem with the shirt getting in the way of anything.  I am wearing the belt in my profile pic (that's how I knew the photo was over the 22 mile mark as I had no gels left).  It is not a weird question.  I tried to tuck in my shirt once and DW shook her head until I pulled it back out.  She does not like it that I do not wear shorts over my tights either, but she never wins on that one.

DTF - I am confused.  Are you wanting to run repeats or intervals?  My understanding (and I certainly could be wrong) is that if you run the same distance of your speed portion, you are running repeats.  If you slow down and run 50 to 100 % of  the time you ran your speed portion, you are running intervals and it would be impossible for you to run the identical distance unless you decided not to rest.  I am not sure how the stress difference would affect the body, but you would obviously get more rest running repeats and a higher amount of stress running intervals.

It would appear that start time for next weeks marathon should have decent temps at about 40 deg.  Hopefully the high of 63 deg wont be reached until mid-day.  My leg does not feel as bad as it did before my last marathon.  I am not any less worried however, especially with my goal time being so much faster than my last.  This is my 3rd taper and I am calmer than I have been in the past but I am starting to get nervous and doubtful.  Weird.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

DetroitTigerFan

Thanks all for the 400 m feedback

Indy - i think you've helped me clarified something for me.   I've been meaning to run intervals but have been running repeats - lol.   i'm still a little rusty from my pfitz learnings from last year,etc.... I'm just starting back on training but will be getting my miles back by training for a HM in May.  My training plan is custom but with some Hansons thoughts - i've decided to do speed work on Tuesdays, tempo or effort runs on Thursdays and a weekend long run. Since i'm just starting back, i'm ok with doing repeats for now and then transitioning to intervals in the next month

Indy and roll - the fuel ready belt is intriguing to me. It looks like you can still untuck relative to your running shorts, but need to tuck your shirt uner the belt,etc. I've always been used to the bib on my chest area. Do you get used to it clipped on the belt - i'm assuming the bib sits below your stomach - doesn't it flutter as your legs go back and forth ? i still like my velcro amphipod fuel belt for the water aspect. I haven't transitioned to relying on water stations,etc

looking forward to a run today ! trying out 11 miles of my May HM course - 50% dirt and trails - went last week and it was 60% snow/ice covered - so it may be a muddy day !!

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Rusk Runner

DTF - Have fun in the mud!  Regarding the belt, I never really notice the bib at all.

Waiting for the fog to lift before running today.

Just Run!!!

mdawg87

Good morning!  Nice 7 mile progression run at the track this morning.  Started with a 10:25 w/u mile and ended with an 8:44 mile.  Tomorrow I'll run an easy 8 with DH.  Party starts at 4:30 today at the mdawgs for the first NCAA game.  When's everyone arriving?  Although we won't be serving donuts...more like the normal tailgate food!

Gotta get busy with the food prep.  Will try and check back later!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Rusk Runner

Mdawg - wish I could be there!

Got the 12 miles done on the hills today.  Kind of did a progression run starting at 9:12, finishing mile 11 @ 8:09, and cooling down with an 8:45.  Been a few weeks since hitting the hills and it took a bit out of me.  the fog never did clear till the end of the run so it was humid as hell for the duration of the run.  SRD tomorrow and serious taper starting this moment.  Hopefully work will not be too stressful this week although there was some really bad stuff that happened over the weekend.  I will have to do my best to remain calm and stay focused on Saturday.

Just Run!!!

Good morning!  Nice 7 mile progression run at the track this morning.  Started with a 10:25 w/u mile and ended with an 8:44 mile.  Tomorrow I'll run an easy 8 with DH.  Party starts at 4:30 today at the mdawgs for the first NCAA game.  When's everyone arriving?  Although we won't be serving donuts...more like the normal tailgate food!

Gotta get busy with the food prep.  Will try and check back later!

What game is this? Georgia isn't in the tourney fo basketball.

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

I bet that was fun in college! Cool

Ha!  I wish.  I was a complete dweeb in college because I was focused on debate.  That's right, intercollegiate debate.  My college roommate begged me to join cross country, but I was on a debate scholarship.  I spent my weekends  traveling the country debating in the NCAA March Madness Debate equivalent.  Then I went to law school where I continued to be a dweeb.

That said, I've always loved fashion and tend to encourage the purchase of pink running skirts...as long as there aren't sequins.

Ball of Fury

Afternoon Donuts!  Had a bit of a rough run this morning...I have a cold, which is pretty minor with just some congestion but was coughing for a good bit of the night...decided to go ahead and run anyway, because I thought it might get worse later in the week and I may have to rest a bit.  Anyway, it supposed to be my long run of 12 miles for the week, and I was going to do a sort of progression run, but it didn't work out very well!  After 2 mile warm-up (10:15/mile), I did manage 7.5 miles averaging 9:01/mile (goal for Hanson long run is 8:50-9:10 so pretty good there), but I had to stop several times for coughing fits, dizzy spells, and just general yuckiness!  Decided to slow down and just head home, still hoping to get to 12, but after a mile @ 10:51, I was dying so I just went home.  Overall, I did get in 10.5 miles on a fairly hilly route and the weather was beautiful so not a total loss!  Total of 51 miles in the last 7 days, so not too shabby.  Hoping this cold doesn't worsen though!

Dtf:  Regarding the Hanson "intervals," I just did them as prescribed and did the recoveries by distance and not time.  Hope you enjoy your 11 mile muddy run!

MDawg:  Nice 7!  Basketball party sounds fabulous...although I am still a bit bummed about my beloved Hoosiers and the demise of my entire bracket (only have Louisville, Ohio State, and Duke left!).

Indy:  Nice run!  I really hope your week is less stressful and you can have a nice taper going into your race.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

DTF, although there are different schools of thoughts, I usually do 200s for 400s and 200s for 200 intervals.  Having said that, recovery is I think as important (or even more) than the actual interval, so make sure to keep it long enough to recover between intervals.  Pfitz also has recoveries at 50-90% of the interval distance/time.

^^ this - I do either the interval time (because I don't use a track, so its easier to keep it even on my watch, or 200s.  A lot of the standard track workouts that my team does involve 200-400m recovery intervals regardless of interval length, just because its a good even number or a full lap around the track.  Alternatively I wait until nothing hurts anymore lol.

White Lightning

Still feeling pretty crummy but its not in the chest anymore so I got my 8 GA miles at 10:03.  Legs still haven't recovered from the race last weekend but was good to get back out and feels like spring with shorts and t-shirt and no ice/snow or puddles anywhere to be seen on the paths.  Smooth sailing

I use the fuel belt on every run as well to hold iphone, car key, ID and a $20 bill.  One of my best running purchases.

Play the Game Hard!