Sub-4 Marathon Group

March 2013 (Read 56 times)

mdawg87

morning everyone.  Cold and still a bit snowy up here so will enjoy my SRD.  Need to drive to town and see if my paths are clear enough for my tempo tomorrow

onemile - great mileage last week.  How much higher are you going to go?

mdawg - With the whole fat dairy thing, he's just saying make sure you eat food without any additives.  When you take the fat out of dairy, you lose texture and flavor so food companies are adding different things and all of a sudden its not a "clean" food.  If you are just trying to lose a few pounds, i'd just follow his regular plan then you have a good foundation on your nutrition when you start marathon training.  I also believe that he doesn't want you to be at your racing weight except a few times a year at your goal races.

Agreed.  I'm also looking to lean up a bit and be able to maintain it.  I think the initial fat loss/body recomposition cycle would be a new "off season" weight for both DH and me.  We should be able to do that by cleaning the diet up a little since the number of lbs are small.  Anything lower than that would be trickier and like you say, only for race day.

Regarding whole fat dairy...I get that, but it's still hard to think of higher fat dairy as being "better"!  On a side note, I'm ashamed to admit it, but I love processed cheese like Velveeta, and "American" cheese slices!  Probably the worst type of "dairy" you can eat...so I don't have it very often...but still love it!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Smashy!!!

cbus - maybe back-off on the goal or just see how the week goes and just do the one quality workout this week. probably the HMP tempo be best.

Strangely, I know, when rested, that I could achieve my goal. The Strength and Tempo workouts gave me that confidence. So, I feel like, if I can just get my legs back, I'll be okay.

Thanks for the advice. I think I might actually take the entire week off, and see if that doesn't put some life back into my legs.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

onemile

Good luck! I hope it helps!

Strangely, I know, when rested, that I could achieve my goal. The Strength and Tempo workouts gave me that confidence. So, I feel like, if I can just get my legs back, I'll be okay.

Thanks for the advice. I think I might actually take the entire week off, and see if that doesn't put some life back into my legs.

i just laid out my plan for the next 5 weeks for the upcoming 5K (#dowork - Jedi). Its crazy how much less the mpw will be. I ended up adding tons of my own miles. One of my goals for the year is to exceed 1600 miles which should be no problem considering a FM plan will be on schedule from Sept - Jan. I currently am around 30 mpw and will continue to increase that to 35/40 hopefully. The real challenge will be dealing with long runs in the summer months. The heat and humidity in Houstom during summers average 95-97 degrees with 85-90% relative sweat humidity. Any advice on dealing with Sahara heat while breathing hot soup?

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Ball of Fury

CBus:  Do you have PFitz book (Advanced Marathoning)?  I know there is a section in there regarding overtraining and what to do to correct the problem.  I haven't read it but can take a look and see what he says tomorrow.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Smashy!!!

ami, I don't have the book, and I must've skipped that section, since I don't remember anything about it. If you could post what he says, I'd really appreciate it. Everything I've read so far just recommends rest.

CBus:  Do you have PFitz book (Advanced Marathoning)?  I know there is a section in there regarding overtraining and what to do to correct the problem.  I haven't read it but can take a look and see what he says tomorrow.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

#dowork

Roll - funny you should say that. Buddy of mine tweeted that to me other day when he had a awesome quality day. Makes me feel good i am inspiring people to train for a 5k. Cbus, where's your 5k plan at?Smile lol

i just laid out my plan for the next 5 weeks for the upcoming 5K (#dowork - Jedi). Its crazy how much less the mpw will be. I ended up adding tons of my own miles. One of my goals for the year is to exceed 1600 miles which should be no problem considering a FM plan will be on schedule from Sept - Jan. I currently am around 30 mpw and will continue to increase that to 35/40 hopefully. The real challenge will be dealing with long runs in the summer months. The heat and humidity in Houstom during summers average 95-97 degrees with 85-90% relative sweat humidity. Any advice on dealing with Sahara heat while with breathing hot soup?

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Ball of Fury

Absolutely!  I was skimming through the book yesterday and saw the section, but didn't pay much attention.  I will take a look tomorrow!

ami, I don't have the book, and I must've skipped that section, since I don't remember anything about it. If you could post what he says, I'd really appreciate it. Everything I've read so far just recommends rest.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

#dowork

Roll - funny you should say that. Buddy of mine tweeted that to me other day when he had a awesome quality day. Makes me feel good i am inspiring people to train for a 5k. Cbus, where's your 5k plan at?Smile lol

pretty soon #dowork is going to start trending.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

onemile

Here is an article on over-training from Pfitz

http://www.pfitzinger.com/labreports/overtraining.shtml

Docket_Rocket

Cbus, hope the break helps!

I had nothing to contribute today about racing weight, except to say I'll never achieve it. :-)

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Josh- wow, that sounds like a lot of carbs/eating - my idea of lunch is: grab turkey breast, grab tortilla, place turkey breast in tortilla, wrap around string cheese, eat.  This from a person trained to cook by a Viennese master chef while I was in high school (yeah, not kidding). I'm just chronically out of time!

Cbus- Sounds like Hansons isn't your bag.  Maybe go for a lower mileage plan, like 18/55 or even a Higdon plan.  You're running yourself into the ground!  You haven't plateaued, so there isn't a reason to really push harder...seems like pushing harder is really taking its toll big time.

Mdawg - wouldn't the whole fat dairy thing be solved by label reading- like, lowfat greek yogurt doesn' t have added "junk" to make it taste more like full fat, but fat-free cheddar does, ya know?

Docket - I think racing weight HAS to be different for everyone- according to that book I could be 112 lbs again- but I know for a fact I'd have to be sitting in the law library cramming for the bar drinking nothing but coffee to be that drawn out at this point in my life- and I wouldn't have ANY endurance...at which point it would not be a good "racing weight" for me.  Maybe it would matter if I were kara goucher, but for now, eh...I like red vines...and white chocolate....and carbs.

Everyone- thanks for the props on the 18- I thought it was going to be super slow but then I looked at my splits and they were faster than both of my last 18 mile runs prepping for PHL / Hartford.  I found out the sparkleskirt blogger coalition is invading Wineglass this year and I am officially PISSED.  I have to beat these women, who are really fangirls.  they are not women.  People who are TWEE oh LOOK AT ME on social media and whine publicly and think its cute while running in tu tus...gah.  I will have a lot of sparkle skirts to wreck this September.  I was thinking of dropping down to the half and then racing Steamtown the next weekend just to not have to run with them.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

mdawg87

Sprinkles:  Oh dear...is this the same group of gals that were at your 10 mile race?  Don't let them ruin your race experience!  As for the dairy convo, yeah, I understand all of it, label read, and do choose the higher fat less processed stuff already.  But having come from many years of the low fat marketing, it still makes me shake my head a little.

cbus:  I think backing off can only do you good.  If the paces are too aggressive, I'd slow them down as well.  A good bit of the hay is in the barn already if you're 5 weeks out.  At this point, you can definitely run too much, but maybe not too little.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

cmb4314

Here you go Cbus - I have Pfitz's Advanced Marathoning as a Nook book, so I screenshotted the section on overtraining for you:

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Smashy!!!

Thanks CMB and Onemile for the resources--they were very helpful. Hopefully I'm not too entrenched in overtraining syndrome. Like I said, I'm gonna take the entire week off, and then Ill come back slowly and easily. Hopefully, I'll e ready for raceday. I'm also gonna look at my training from my marathon. I'm pretty sure I was overtrained then too. I'm gonna see if I can detect any patterns. I think 50 mpw is one of them.