Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

I am overdue to post, several days and about eight pages went by!

Balaclava, a town in what is now the Ukraine, was the site of a famous battle of the Crimean war. The area was called the Crimea back in 1854 when the battle took place and was, I think, part of the Ottoman (Turkish) Empire. The Russians were beaten by the combined British/Turkish forces after a Russian attack was withstood by the "thin red line", leading to a counter by the Heavy Brigade and then as the Russians had re-formed on higher ground an order from Lord Raglan was misunderstood, which led to the disastrous heroics of the Light Brigade. Interestingly, a second article of clothing is connected to Lord Raglan- the Raglan sleeved sweater was designed to be easier to put on and take off- Lord Raglan had had an arm amputated in the Napoleonic War. (Useless, but I hope interesting product of a classical education!)

Great mileage by Docket, Indy, Banshee and Cbus! (And maybe others...) Weather allowing I am sure you will do great at Goofy, Docket.

Congratulations on your PR, Twofoot, not a PR course!

Banshee, well done! CMB, 20 miles, good job!

I have started with a pace group on two occasions, the first group started out much too fast but later slowed down so I passed them, the second was just a touch fast and I passed the pace bunny about 11 miles into a half. I finished in 1:43 and heard the announcer telling the crowd the 1:45 pace group crossed the line 10 seconds ahead of schedule- that's great pacing! So can be good or bad, most groups walk/run, which is not what I do so not a great help to me.

I ran only twice this week for about 17 miles total- but I have a plan!

I am discarding my mileage goal for the year and making a goal of running 180 times for the year. If I am consistent my training will be better and the miles will take care of themselves.

I looked back over my log for the past 5 years and found 173 is the most runs I have previously done, and was also the highest mileage year. The number of runs and miles lined up for all the years, and I found when I ran more often the average distance per run was consistently higher, not just the annual total. So that's my new plan.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Docket_Rocket

I prefer the old strap (I guess it's the one you call hard strap)?  I buy it on Amazon.  When the spikes continue, it's time to change the battery.  When that does not work, buy a new HRM.  It has happened to me more often than not with the soft strap.

I swear to god I'm going to throw this HR monitor into the river.  This whole spiky thing is pissing me off.  Think I'm going to go back to the hard strap and see if its any better.

Anyways, now that that's out of my system... Easy 6.4 miles @ 9:59, 15 F was pretty cold.  When my HR strap was working, HR was nice and solid.  The whole Vaseline on the face worked pretty good.  Leg held up through the run

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

And I just got home after a long day in Court.  Let's just say I'm glad it's an SRD.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

nachosgrande

Donuts, thanks for the book recommendations.  Think I'll give Eat and Run and the Bago-recommended book a try.

Good luck to the Disney runners this weekend.

Got in a couple more runs with the Connects and I'm starting to like them.  The calf soreness is gone and the shoe is feeling more natural.  I love how responsive it is.  No issues with the feet or achilles either.

White Lightning

Docket, yeah, i'm on my second soft strap in the last 6 months.  I found a hard (old) strap here in Calgary so picking it up tomorrow.  I used to use the old strap but my dog destroyed it

Play the Game Hard!

Smashy!!!

Banshee and Zoe, I got one of those nasty circular bruise from my first Graston treatment on my right IT Band. Banshee, it's interesting how an area further away on the kinetic chain can be the root cause, isn't it.

Josh, reading all your frustrations with the HR monitor reminds me of why I never want to use one ever. That and all the mind games I see people playing as a result of the data they get.

Simon, interesting tidbits. Good luck on breaking 180!

Nachos, glad you're liking the Connects.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Hi all.

Good luck to all who are racing this week!  As Cbus says, smash it!  Trust the training; trust the taper.

My hip is getting better.  It was slightly sore this morning, and was only slightly tired on my short run at lunch.  I spent some time at the gym doing some hip and glute exercises in addition to the leg work I had scheduled.

3.5 @ 8:50 at lunch.  Leg work plus hip/glute exercises at the gym after work, plus 30 minutes on the stationary bike (15 w/u; 15 c/d).

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Trail Monster

Simon, neat plan! I've never looked at my number of runs in a year. Is there an easy way to see that on whatever logging program you use?

Docket, hope the rest of your night is peaceful!

Cbus, the calf trigger points are high up on the back of my calf near the back of my knee so probably not as surprising as it could be.

Speaking of surprising, I ordered a new pair of my Saucony Triumph 9's. I wore them for my half yesterday for the first time and had no issues. Wore them today for 4.5 miles and got a blister. WTF?

And, to finish off my ramblings, here is the link to my RR from the half if anyone is interested: http://www.endorphinmom.com/2013/01/pring-in-new-year.html

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Sprinkles – I am very interested in your first go around with Pfitz.  Please be descriptive in how you feel about your training.  (make your log public?)

Indiana-  I haven't figured out how to log my stuff on here and link it to the garmin- thus far I have been using Garmin connect.  I guess next Tuesday I will give it a go and see if I can get the data in here.  I'm curious to see how it goes as well.

Racers- SMASH IT THIS WEEKEND!

Me- I was originally planning on getting a few miles in, but work kept me there a little later than expected and then I had to meet a friend for a few hours, so I missed out on the miles.  Tomorrow is a Graston day- one last tune up before the training begins.  I'll be focusing on calves, hamstrings and another SI adjustment.  I get to fast tomorrow because I'm going in for my RMR test and meeting with a sports nutritionist to see if I can (1) get my training nutrition up to par, and (2) work on my GI issues.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

cmb4314

Ugh.  Some time between dinner last night and this morning, my cold, which seemed to be getting better yesterday morning, went from my head to my chest.

I assume running 20 miles on Sunday had something to do with it, since I killed my immune system a bit.  I thought I was in the clear when I was feeling pretty good for 24+ hours after the run, but blaahhhhh I feel icky now.

Sick day from work to try to shake this thing quicker (and to try to not infect all of my coworkers).  Probably going to miss today and tomorrow's runs, but Thursday is a SRD, and if I can be healthy by Friday, I'll be happy.

Sprinkles - if you have a Garmin that uses an ANT stick for computer communication, and you're using the same computer to upload your stuff from your Garmin as you are to log stuff here, just go to "Upload GPS Data" on the top of the training log.  It will have you install a plugin that communicates directly with your Garmin, and pulls data straight to the site from the ANT stick.  If you're on a different computer than the one that has your ANT stick, you can go to Garmin Connect and export any of the files as a .tcx and save it on your computer.  Then you can come here and choose "Upload data from file", and choose that file on your computer.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 8 miles with strides tonight.  Allergy shot in an hour, so hoping for no reaction this time around.

Have a nice day all.  I'll be super busy all week, bah!  At least I'm off to Orlando on Friday, yay.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Rusk Runner

Good Morning Donuts.

Got out at 3:00 this morning and it was 17 deg outside.  Did my scheduled 8 @ recovery pace (9:21 avg).  Skipped the strides; will do them Wednesday or Thursday.  Still icy in front of the house where I do strides, and I just wasnt feeling it at 17 deg.  I ran with factory inserts in my shoes today.  I think I am going to start doing alot of recovery and easy miles that way to see if my feet are strong enough to stop using aftermarket inserts alltogether.

I had to skip the BCS bowl last night in order to get some sleep for todays run.  Looks like I didnt miss anything.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

mdawg87

Well, I wasn't successful this morning.

Calf/soleus started to tighten up and hurt 1/2 mile into the run.

Stopped and stretched it.

Got on the elliptical and finished without issue.

Stretched afterwards and I could feel it, but nothing like 3 weeks ago.

Iced it when I got home.

So...the verdict is that I didn't reinjure it, but I did aggravate it.  It's stiff and the achilles and tendon near the inner ankle are slightly sore.  I'm wondering if this is a tendon/tendonitis thing?  Looks like a trip to the sports doc is in my near future.  Argh!!

Indy:  You didn't miss anything.  It was over after Bama's 1st TD.  They were bigger, faster, and stronger.  I feel for ND's players, but they got exposed.

cmb:  Feel better!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

onemile

Morning guys.

Question.  I've had a little sore throat the last couple days and now today it's developed into a cough. It's not that bad and otherwise I feel fine.  I have my intervals tonight 6x800 at 5k pace.  That should be ok right?  And then tomorrow is a rest day.

Rusk Runner

Onemile - I go with the "If its not in the chest..." rule. If I didnt have a fever, or I didnt have body aches and chest congestion, I would run. But thats me. Ive heard different folks say not to run if you have a cold, etc... but I always do with the exceptions previously mentioned.

mdawg - sorry to hear about the calf issues still being there. Glad you actually have a sport doc to talk about it with. Its a shame when a game that carries with it the stigma of the BCS championship (whatever that supposedly means) ends up being like the game last night. I am an FSU fan, and the Orange bowl was a joke. NIU had no business being on the field with FSU and all it did was show that the BCS ranking system and invitation system is a crock of poo.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!