Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Cbus- no answer on ASTs, other than that I am slightly anemic and was undereating for my training volume, which the sports dietician said is super super common in beginning runners, especially weight-conscious women, so...the answer is eat more and get re-tested.  Otherwise I'm healthy as can be.   I'd be down with a recipes thread.

Docket/Cbus- Fwiw, most of my cooking is bo-ring...I'm a good baker though!  I suck at making things like tempeh and whatnot, so I make a lot of vegetable based dishes, enjoy amy's burritos and dr. praeger's burgers.  A gourmand I am not, but recipes could be fun!

Re: figure skatingBlush blushing...I got really lucky to escape before it was too late.  I saw a lot of girls wind up in the hospital with all kinds of problems...of course there were others who were not casualties either.  Luckily I was talented but had little invested in the sport since I knew I wanted to go to a good school and become either a reconstructive surgeon or a pharma attorney- picked the second one of those in the end. It's hard at times and to this day I watch myself because I am not the best at eating the right amounts...that's basically where i got screwed up along the way- no idea what constitutes normal.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Smashy!!!

Sprinkles, not to minimize the trauma of figure skating, but do you happen to have any good photos of your in costume saved that you can share with us?

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Trail Monster

Well none of my half times are indicative of what I could truly do. The one from this weekend (2:09) had 5 miles warm up prior and no taper. I ran 42.4 miles last week including that race so I'm sure I can do better. So if I believe I could run a 2:00 then shooting for 4:20 is fine but who knows? I really need to do a race 'right' one of these times.

Im pretty good on marathon pacing though. Last one was only a 3 minute positive split so I think I'm pretty good there.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

onemile

Can you race one 4-6 weeks out?

Well none of my half times are indicative of what I could truly do. The one from this weekend (2:09) had 5 miles warm up prior and no taper. I ran 42.4 miles last week including that race so I'm sure I can do better. So if I believe I could run a 2:00 then shooting for 4:20 is fine but who knows? I really need to do a race 'right' one of these times.

Im pretty good on marathon pacing though. Last one was only a 3 minute positive split so I think I'm pretty good there.

White Lightning

Sprinkles - I'm more on a non-processed type vegetarian diet, miss piggy still makes my mouth water.  So naturally meat bought at the store is a no-go.  I'll eat meat that I know what farm it comes from or wild caught salmon or I catch trout on my river right here at the house in the summer time.  My biggest goal is to eat processed free, to let my body do all of the processing, no machines invloved.  I've even been grinding my own flour for tortillas.  I've been meaning to start the "What's Cooking" thread but haven't gotten around to it.  I think it could be pretty interesting.  But don't worry, my food is boring too, the cooking is fun and interesting though.

Me - Well if Indi is going to run at 3 am, I'm not going to let a little snow and wind and more snow stop me from running outside.  Plus I was reading an article Scott Jurek wrote about winter running making you a stronger runner, so out I went.  6.4 character building miles at 11:42.  Cbus, today was a perfect example of why HR training can be good, pacing was out the window.  I started off breaking the trail through 8 inches of snow then finally after about 2 miles I got to some groomed stuff.  There was a point where I probably could have walked faster than I was running.  Really enjoyed it though but ready to be finished.  I took some video of the trail breaking I'll post later tonight, pretty proud of this run.

Play the Game Hard!

White Lightning

First two miles looked like this

Running in Snow

Play the Game Hard!

mdawg87

Sprinkles:  Interesting story and again, you should be proud of your success avoiding that big pitfall.  I was in the fitness/figure competition arena for a short while back in the day and body image/eating disorders were rampant.  I got out before I really got in because I just didn't like the diet restrictive lifestyle.  Also, you're in NYC, right?  You've probably heard of Mark Bittman (sp?) then, the NYT chef/columnist?  Anyway, he's got some great cookbooks out that you might want to invest in (vegetarian included).  I don't think he's vegan, but his philosphy is that animal products should be more of a treat vs. the center of the plate.  Not all super gourmet and difficult stuff either.  Lots of simple recipes too.

Josh:  Start that thread since you're the expert.  I'd love it!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Trail Monster

Can you race one 4-6 weeks out?

May be hard to find a half early or mid-February. There is a 20 mile race on 2/23 however so I may try out my goal pace there.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Smashy!!!

May be hard to find a half early or mid-February. There is a 20 mile race on 2/23 however so I may try out my goal pace there.

If you're willing to drive to Central Ohio, we have the Last Chance to Boston race out here in Feb. there is a 5 and 10K, half, and full. Downside is its laps around a one mile loop. Joking

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Trail Monster

I will look it up but I will probably do the 20 as my last long run. It's 5 mile loops so I can stop at 10 or 15 if things aren't going well.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

onemile

12 miles done w/ 6 at GMP.  38 degrees and raining.  That was a tough one.  I am SO looking forward to my FOUR easy days now.

Josh - 8 inches of snow?! Holy crap.  Quite impressive.

Banshee - Trying out your MP for a 20 miler is a good idea, at least for a good chunk of the miles.

mdawg - glad the Graston didn't beat you up too badly Smile

zoe - nice job on the MP miles!

Damaris - hope the migraine goes away.

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

I miss out on things because I only check in once a day.

Cbus/onemile:  I might  look into Graston/chiro/etc. if things don't get better.  Cbus, your comment about facia tightness reminded me that I hadn't rolled out my quads in quite a while.  I did this morning, and it hurt like hell, which means it probably was very tight.  And, during my run today, I only had a bit of lingering discomfort near the very end, so the foam rolling helped a lot.  I didn't do very much, either, just a couple of passes, but that seemed to help things along.  If the rolling solves, or at least improves, the quad issue, I'll be happy.  I do have knots in my calves that aren't bothering me right now, but might when I am able to get back up to a respectable mileage level, so I'm more likely to seek professional help with those later on.

Sprinkles, I'll chime in and say more power to you for avoiding that trap.

AmiK:  Good luck this weekend!  Smash it!

Hi to everyone else!

Me: I did 3.7 @ 8:55 today at lunch.  As mentioned above, the quad was much better after a couple passes with a roller.  3000 yards in the pool after work, 1:06:05 total time: 6x500 yd sets with about 20% of the set time as rest between them.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Cbus - this is the only picture I have on my computer- the rest are all in print form.This is well past my skating prime, I think I was 16-17 and on a rare outdoor public session.  There are some sparkle outfits for sure.

Josh- gotcha - I guess I stopped craving meat early in life- I never really want it and basically went vegan the second I left my parents' house for ethical reasons- I'm an animal lover.  I did lapse into eating meat during the low carb phase but feel better about myself when I don't eat it.  Probably why I don't worry so much about processed vs. unprocessed meat, since for me its a cruelty thing, and I don't believe in humane slaughter.  That said, I won't deny the fact that sometimes I do get weak and miss things like...idk, fish mostly I guess.

Mdawg I've heard of Bittman but never paid much attention to his recipes- I'm terrible at following recipes since I was trained in my parents' restaurant kitchen...I'm just pretty lazy about cooking!  I might check it out since typically I look up an idea online and then veganize it/throw stuff together and most of the time its pretty decent.  Figure competition sounds even rougher than figure skating- I read some blogs and also some discussions on Get Off My Internets heh, where they talk about how rough it is in the industry.

Onemile- nice 12

Me: 6.5 miles fairly easy at 9:13 pace.  I'm done with flat surface running after today since my back is mostly better.  Spin tomorrow and then 10 Saturday and 10 Sunday for a total of 34 miles this week, which matches my first week of Pfitz whichs tarts next week.  I'll start training with my watch again this weekend and try out the training log here...which I still can't seem to sync with Garmin Connect.

Banshee, go for 4:20- you are one of those people, like my son, who has the determination to run ultras, so you will fade less than most of us in a marathon. (My son has no speed at all, but can put up with a lot of pain. Slow twitch guy.)

Nice video, Josh- no feet? Saw on tv today your weather is going to be around -15 degrees Friday and Saturday, Toronto going up to 11C on Saturday, what a difference! You have talked a bit about your weight, if it is not too personal how much do you weigh, what height are you, and what sort of build?

My wife is a very big figure skating fan, goes to all the major local competitions and exhibitions, has photos in her office of herself talking with people like Sale and Pelletier, Wing and Lowe, Buttle and others after events. I don't think she did much skating herself, though.

Rest day for me today.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

My wife is a very big figure skating fan, goes to all the major local competitions and exhibitions, has photos in her office of herself talking with people like Sale and Pelletier, Wing and Lowe, Buttle and others after events. I don't think she did much skating herself, though.

Nice- I remember a training video when they got rid of figures and put this stupid moves-in-the field testing regime in its place...David Pelletier as a 15 year old or something starred in the video as the example.