Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Your typical RnR event, but it was fine. Weather really sucked. Not sure I'd run that one again especially considering they moved start from RFK to the national mall which just sounds like a logistical nightmare to me.

Jedi- how was the RnR in D.C. managed as far as an event. Sucks that you PWed and had ankle issues. 

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Got in a Speed workout today. 12X400 w 400 recoveries + wu/cd for a grand total of 10 miles. Averaged 7:42 for the intervals.

So, with all this dog talk, of course, today a woman is walking her dog without a leash, which, of course, chased me and bit at my ankles. And the woman was all, "Come back here this instant mister!" Of course, the dog has no respect for his master, so he's still biting at my ankles, until I shoo him away. I didn't give her the stink eye, but I did turn around and yelled, "Get your f--ing dog on a leash!" Sorry Akalei, you probably hate me now Sad.

Sprink, great pics!

Roll, happy bday!!! Enjoy that donut! And yes, the calories don't count today.

Onemile (and anyone else wearing stability shoes), how do you know when your shoes aren't stable enough for you? Do you feel it in a certain part of your body? Is the shoe uncomfortable? I ask because I suspect my sore knees has to do with not having enough stability, but I don't know if that's even possible.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Trail Monster

Damaris, no. DH's dog is the sick one. She's had seizures for as long as he's had her but they're getting worse and more frequent. She's also toileting in the house fairly ofteA and she's developed lumps on her stomach. I'm thinking its cancer but DH refuses to take her to the vet citing money reasons. I know it's really just that he doesn't want to know and somehow thinks not knowing makes it not real. I'm trying not to be super pushy but she really needs put down and out of her misery.

Sprinkles, that's awful. If the blogger is a FitFluential Ambassador message me who it is and I will let FF know. They don't tolerate that crap. Nice run though!

Onemile, yep she has a blue eye and a brown eye.

Rollcast, she was embarrassed to be caught wearing clothes. I usually don't do that to her but our house is 100 years old and really cold in the winter.

Nice workouts bag and Zoe!

im dying to go get my run on but I have to wait for DH to get up. Night shift sucks!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

onemile

Yes, I start to feel it in the knees/ankles.  I've tried a lot of shoes and they can feel very comfortable but once I run 5+ miles in them I start to get ankle/knee pain.

And nice job on the intervals!

Onemile (and anyone else wearing stability shoes), how do you know when your shoes aren't stable enough for you? Do you feel it in a certain part of your body? Is the shoe uncomfortable? I ask because I suspect my sore knees has to do with not having enough stability, but I don't know if that's even possible.

cmb4314

Yes, I start to feel it in the knees/ankles.  I've tried a lot of shoes and they can feel very comfortable but once I run 5+ miles in them I start to get ankle/knee pain.

And nice job on the intervals!

Ankles are where I tend to feel it, and I also find that my IT band gets irritated.  My ankles just feel kind of sore and stiff after runs if the shoes aren't supportive enough, and sometimes sore when I'm running.  That's also how I know that my shoes are dying.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

akalei

Sprinkles: preach, girl!  I agree with you.

Jedi: you have to do Shamrock one day! so fun!

Banshee: sorry to hear about the pup.  My best friend just went through a hard time letting her old girl go, and it took a lot of "gentle pushing" from her hubby.

cbus:  I don't hate you, I'd probably feel the same way, maybe even more so because she's making the rest of us who know how to train our dogs (or keep them on a leash until they are trained) look bad.  Alby knows what he's supposed to be doing when we run.   Except when we run by the lake, then the springer instincts kick in and his training goes to crap, but only with respect to waterfowl.  If someone's dog bit me I'd probably have said something, too.  Although, I wouldn't use the f word.  I'm a lady, after all Joking  I hope this lady at least apologized or something after all the "back here now" business!

6 at lunch turned into 5 at lunch because I got a late start.  Oops.

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Hi all!

Josh what a great view of the river valley- is that taken from your property?

Nice dog pics everyone, and they all look very friendly and nice. I would have no concern about those smiling faces if I saw them when I was running!

One of the Oiselle lady bloggers, at least, is an elite, might have been Lauren Fleshman or someone of that stature. She posted an amusing video showing all the steps it took to get USATF to accept the design for use in competition.

Ran 8k yesterday, 10k today, all very easy pace. Travelling Thursday so that's a write off, maybe will get one more run on Saturday.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Banshee - She's not a fitfluential ambassador...her blog is just out there and she's sponsored by NUUN and is an ambassador for the SF marathon.  I have respect for them that they dont' take that seriously.  There are a few fitfluential ambassadors whose blogs I personally like, so I will keep them in my roster Smile

Akalei- I'm stepping up to the soapbox!

Simon- yes, Lauren Fleshman is one of the Oiselle people- obviously no issues with her, although i think some of the corny blog posts about the Believe I am Journal are a little bit ridiculous.  I can Believe I am a Boston Marathon Qualifier and that will not make me one...I am awful, no? lol

Cbus: sorry to hear about the dog encounter- sounds like that owner did not know her dog very well at ALL!  We had a hound we kept off-leash growing up, but the dog never chased a thing, just stood by us the whole time.  Harry cannot go off leash, he'd be all like...oo shiny running shoes bark bark bark.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

The log isn't working for me today for some reason, but here is the link to my garmin data from today's training run.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Smashy!!!

yes, Lauren Fleshman is one of the Oiselle people- obviously no issues with her, although i think some of the corny blog posts about the Believe I am Journal are a little bit ridiculous.  I can Believe I am a Boston Marathon Qualifier and that will not make me one...I am awful, no? lol

No Sprink, you ain't awful at all. You speak truth. And the truth can be awful.

mdawg87

Banshee - She's not a fitfluential ambassador...her blog is just out there and she's sponsored by NUUN and is an ambassador for the SF marathon.  I have respect for them that they dont' take that seriously.  There are a few fitfluential ambassadors whose blogs I personally like, so I will keep them in my roster Smile

Akalei- I'm stepping up to the soapbox!

Simon- yes, Lauren Fleshman is one of the Oiselle people- obviously no issues with her, although i think some of the corny blog posts about the Believe I am Journal are a little bit ridiculous.  I can Believe I am a Boston Marathon Qualifier and that will not make me one...I am awful, no? lol

Cbus: sorry to hear about the dog encounter- sounds like that owner did not know her dog very well at ALL!  We had a hound we kept off-leash growing up, but the dog never chased a thing, just stood by us the whole time.  Harry cannot go off leash, he'd be all like...oo shiny running shoes bark bark bark.

1.  Can you message me these links?  I'd love some other good inspirational blogs to read.

2.  I find this hysterical!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Poor dog!  Tell him if he does not take him soon I am going to kick his ass!  There!

Or I'll send Cbus who now has experience with dog owners.

Damaris, no. DH's dog is the sick one. She's had seizures for as long as he's had her but they're getting worse and more frequent. She's also toileting in the house fairly ofteA and she's developed lumps on her stomach. I'm thinking its cancer but DH refuses to take her to the vet citing money reasons. I know it's really just that he doesn't want to know and somehow thinks not knowing makes it not real. I'm trying not to be super pushy but she really needs put down and out of her misery.

Sprinkles, that's awful. If the blogger is a FitFluential Ambassador message me who it is and I will let FF know. They don't tolerate that crap. Nice run though!

Onemile, yep she has a blue eye and a brown eye.

Rollcast, she was embarrassed to be caught wearing clothes. I usually don't do that to her but our house is 100 years old and really cold in the winter.

Nice workouts bag and Zoe!

im dying to go get my run on but I have to wait for DH to get up. Night shift sucks!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Smashy!!!

Poor dog!  Tell him if he does not take him soon I am going to kick his ass!  There!

Or I'll send Cbus who now has experience with dog owners.

What do you mean? I have tons of experience with dog owners. Moreover, I was a dog owner myself. Part of why I don't have dogs now is a) the allergy (and my son's allergy), but 2) I understand the responsibility involved in giving a dog a quality life, and I just can't commit to that right now. Just because I expect other dog owners to be considerate of others, does not mean I hate dogs, or dog owners, or anything else. It just means I expect them to be considerate of others. Not everyone is comfortable around dogs. And those people have as much right to walk down a side walk than a dog owner does.

onemile

Nice job on the HMP miles!

The log isn't working for me today for some reason, but here is the link to my garmin data from today's training run.

cmb4314

Okay, I just need to rant:

Seriously, weather?  It is going to be in the 20s and 30s all week.  Nice, delightful running weather.  Then, just in time for my LR on Sunday, it's going to drop to a high of 6, low of -9.  I don't know if it's even safe to be out for three hours in that kind of weather.  I'm not sure if I can carry water in those temperatures, I'll just end up with a frozen Camelbak hose and a pack full of slush.

Why is it that every. darn. weekend. is absurdly cold, and all the nice weather is during the weeks when I don't need to run long.  I could handle 8 miles at those kind of temperatures, but 18 is really rough.  I really, really don't want to have to suffer through a third long run on a dreadmill.

Sigh.

On a more related note, everyone's puppy pictures are adorable Smile  Here is my little guy, in desperate need of a haircut:

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011)