Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

The cold (within reason) doesn't bother me, but the combination of cold and wind......

Set a PR for treadmill running this morning with 8 miles. My previous furthest was 4m, and that was recent - before then, only 2 or 3, and that was a push. I have alwyas hated it, but watched some soccer on TV in the basement, and it was actually not too bad.

Nachos: I actually have a hernia in the abdomen: the abdominal muscles are not fully formed, so the stomach sticks out of the whole where the muscle should be keeping it in. Very sexy! It isn;t quote as bad as it sounds, it's just a small bump, and I have to push it back in from time to time.

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014 

Trail Monster

Thanks for all the encouragement and kind words. I'm in a slightly better mood today. I ran 5.5 miles @ 10:20 pace on the treadmill which ended up being extremely painful. The running seemed to enlarge the bruising on my knee as blood flooded my legs. I'm waivering between believing it will feel better in a day or two/the Graston is actually helping and cancelling my next appointment and hoping there's no real damage done.

knee

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Smashy!!!

Wow, Banshee, that's gnarly. Even if the Graston is working, I'd postpone the next appointment. It looks like your Chiro didn't control himself. Mine was very concerned with tarrying that line between healthy bruising and doing damage. But yeah, the running probably intensified that bruise. I'd suggest icing really well tonight and tomorrow.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Rusk Runner

Nachos - Nice jab brotha.  It was 5 deg when I woke.  Guess who didnt hit the road at 3:00 AM today.

Jedi - Way to brave the cold.  You are an intensely tough runner.  I will be there one day.  There is no try, only do.

Mdawg - Good going.  Keep on keepin' on.

Banshee - Ouch.  Remember, it is what it is, and staying calm, cool, and collected, is better for your health and healing.

Amik -  Up to some fast running so soon after marathon day, eh.  Be careful and listen to your body.  Be ready to rip in Indy in November.

Roll - I used Higdon Novice II with some mods (longer weekday runs) for my first.  Chose Pfitz for second mostly for the expanded running during the weekdays.

Twofoot - Amazing just how boring those damn treadmills can be.  I think it does build a sort of mental toughness though.  Especially when the miles get longer.

Onemile - Run Ninja, Run!

cmb - You really are getting the brunt of the cold this year arent you.

Me - 7 recovery on the dreadmill tonight at a 9:38 pace and 1 deg incline.  Thought about slowing it down to 10:00 pace, but it didnt feel good.  I have a bit of soreness in my groin/pelvis, left side.  This is usual for me when the mileage gets up and the LSRs get to 18 and above.  Much less pronounced this time than the cycle before, and the cycle before that one.  I guess that means my body is adapting to the stress.

12 miles on tap for tomorrow.  I am bringing my running gear to work tomorrow and getting the miles in before I come home.  That way the run will all be done in the light of day.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

nachosgrande

Yikes, Banshee.  I agree with Cbus.  Give that thing a couple of days to heal.

TFS - My uncle has had that same type of abdominal hernia for years.  He's had it surgically repaired on two separate occasions but it ends up popping back out within a month or two.

Nice running, Indi.  I hear you on the slow recovery runs.  I've been trying to pace my recovery runs at 10:00-10:30 but I'm finding that running that slowly is actually causing pain to my knees and shins and I have to speed up to the 9:15-9:30 range.

onemile

Banshee - I had much worse bruising from Graston and it does seem to make it more painful sometimes before it gets better.  I hope you don't give up on it because I do think it will help you.  My chiro said that healthy tissue doesn't bruise like that (and it's true - I've gone in for tune ups with no bruising) so I think the bruising is a sign of bad tissue and hopefully the Graston will fix it.

Two-foot - you beat me - my treadmill PR is something like 7.5 miles.  Ugh.

indiana - it's always a nice treat to run in daylight! Enjoy!

amik - glad your ITB felt okay and nice treadmill workout!

Josh - nice job on the LT miles!

nachos - way to rub it in! Angry

One more Hansons Speed workout is in the books. Looking forward to starting the Strength portion of the plan.  I'm hoping that will be easier but maybe not?

Docket_Rocket

So behind on the posts but I read everything.  Ended up with only 10 miles today instead of 13.  But even Chuck Norris wouldn't run 10 on marathon week.  Ha!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

White Lightning

Banshee :-(  so sorry.  My doc asked how far she could push and I told her I needed to keep running so that means a few extra sessions at less intensity.  Hope you get healed up.  I have another appointment in the morning, hoping its my last scheduled

Play the Game Hard!

Smashy!!!

Good morning donuts! Another icy day in OH, but luckily, I've got a SRD.

Onemile, yeah, those Speed workouts suck, don't they! I'm looking forward to the Strength period too (although, in the half plan they are still GP - :10, so still tough).

Happy running all!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Morning Donuts! I got in a progressive 5.2 miler to get out of cold quick this morning. Not as bad as yesterday with little to no wind and three layers on.Smile. Stay warm people.

Banshee - that knee does not look good at all. I'd take some time off to rest that.

indiana - I'm not that tough. I wavered back and forth if i was going to run today.Smile Nice recovery run on TM. 10min pace don't feel slow when i am do intervals on TM for my recoveries.Smile

cbus - enjoy the SRD.

onemile - how far along are you into Hanson now?

DR - nice 10 miler bad-ass!

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Based upon how I feel now, I ran my 10 miler too fast, ha!  So, 5 recovery miles tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

onemile

Morning.

Damaris - nice job on the 10!  enjoy your recovery miles tonight.

Cbus - Goal HMP-10 seconds sounds much tougher.  I wouldn't want to do that.  That's like 15k pace, right?.  Does it still total 6 miles?

jedi - I'm halfway through week 6.  Seems like it's been longer though!  Nice job on the 5.2!

My long awaited rest day has arrived and I plan to enjoy it Smile

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Almost rdy to start strength workouts then.

jedi - I'm halfway through week 6.  Seems like it's been longer though!  Nice job on the 5.2!

My long awaited rest day has arrived and I plan to enjoy it Smile

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Ball of Fury

Good morning Donuts!  I am going on hour 22 here at work with no end in sight right now (although I did get to sleep about 2 hours earlier), plus I seem to have come down with DDs cold.  Right now, it's just a runny  nose and cough, but we will see how I feel later.  I wanted to get in 5-7 easy miles but may have to take an USRD (boo!).  DH and I are supposed to have a 5 mile trail race this weekend and I really want to do it, so I just hope the cold doesn't get worse.  Sorry I don't have time for personals but wanted to check in.  Happy running everyone!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

mdawg87

Good morning!  1 hour on the stepmill including intervals and stretching this morning at the gym.  I looked longingly at the TM, but decided to stick to the sports doc's plan.  Better to play it safe than risk a set back.

Two Foot:  Congrats to the Niners.  That was a tough loss for us Bulldog/Falcon fans.  It was Deja Vu from the SEC Championship game.  I think they need to demolish that end zone and rebuild for mental cleansing purposes.  Good luck against the Ravens.  That defense is wicked good.

Banshee:  I'd postpone my next appointment for a few more days.  That needs to heal up a bit before the next treatment.  When I booked my second appointment, they told me if I was too sore from the first treatment to cancel and wait a few days.

AmiK:  Good grief!  Hope you get to go home soon.  Sleep is more important than a run right now for you I think!

Hope everyone is staying warm!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)