Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

bagopux

You know you're a running nerd when....

... you drive around your neighborhood with a angle measuring app on your smart phone measuring the incline of the various hills so you can find that 6-8% grade for hill repeats.  Yeah, did it Monday night.  What I thought was a 6% hill was only 3%.  Oops.

19F this morning in NC.  Too bad my gloves only go to 25F.  Handsicles.  Brrrrrrr......maybe I should have put some baklava on my face Wink

Progressive tempo run this morning.... 15 min. @ HM pace, 5 min. rest, 15 min. @ 10k pace.  Couldn't hold the 10k pace   Not sure what happened there.  Sad  Checked my total distance at the end of the run:  6.66 miles.  Bad omen.

I wanna donut but had a banana instead. Good morning.

Onemile - how do you and your legs feel so far, being 6 weeks deep into the plan?

Ami - you need a couple of extra days off after this shift

Banshee - is it sore to the touch or just when using that muscle?

MDawg - soon enough you'll be free to run wherever you want...."keep on keepin' on"

Bags -  .01 more or less next time

DR - after XX marathons, it sounds like you know how to listen to those legs

TFShuffle - 8 is about the absolute max i can stand on th TM, more power to ya

Indi - I second that motion. It doesnt feel right to slow down too much. It feels counter productive physically, to me

Started my day at 5:30AM, almost Indi type of early, with 50 minutes of spin (first timer) and it was intense but i liked it so i may go back. I have 8x400 at 5k scheduled this evening, usually a 2 mile warm up and a mile cool down.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

cmb4314

Morning!

11 easy tonight.  Possibly indoors.  It's looking like it will be about 1F outside when I get home, but I will wait and see what the temperature actually is closer to the end of the work day.

I just realized that I only have 1.5 more weeks of Pfitz before starting my taper.  I may taper a little bit more significantly than he calls for, particularly in the week leading up to the race.  I have seemed to run really well in the past off of a LOT of rest the week before my races.

AmiK - Hope you get to go home in the near future!  That is a LONG time to be at work.

Mdawg - Good call on not pushing it and running.  Hope you are feeling better soon.

Cbus - enjoy the rest day

Docket - enjoy the recovery miles

Indi - good luck on the 12 today

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Smashy!!!

Onemile, all the Strength workouts are the same, so yeah, 6 mi. total. It'll be tough, that's for sure. But at least the 6 mi.s are broken up.

CMB, congrats getting thus far in Pfitz!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

I know this might be a hassle, but Sra asked me to take over the race table while he takes some time off. I couldn't find a way to copy/paste the info easily, so I just decided to start it all over. If you can visit the new sticky thread, and repost your races, I'll work on getting a new table together. Thanks!

Docket_Rocket

I hope sramaley is doing well. :-(

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

cmb4314

Question for the donuts:

How soon after the marathon do you wait before running something like a HM?

I'd like to shoot for a sub-1:50 while I still have my marathon fitness, and It looks like I will have two reasonable options - 3 weeks after, and 6 weeks after.  I am a bit worried about not being quite recovered enough to really race 3 weeks after - I ran one 4 weeks after each of my previous marathons and felt fine, but 3 seems to be pushing it.  I know that I really like the race that is 3 weeks after, but I think it might be smarter to wait and have certainty that I'm recovered.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Trail Monster

bago - what app is that? I'd like to try it out!

rollcast - the leg is sore to the touch. Today is the first day I haven't worn shorts because I couldn't stand the pressure of fabric on the bruise. Have fun with the speed work! I have some on the schedule today too. Hopefully I'll be able to do it!

cmb - sounds like good plans, both the indoor running and the tapering! I've been glued to my treadmill a lot lately. But I keep telling myself that it's actually a good thing because I'm keeping my heat acclimation up since all my races are likely to be warm to HOT.

Cbus - my races are in my siggy but I'll copy/paste over there too. Hope Seth is okay!

cmb - I ran a half 1 week and 3 weeks after my last marathon. They were not quality efforts by any means though. I would probably go with the one 6 weeks out. Do a 2 week recovery/reverse taper and then 2-3 weeks rebuild and then 1-2 week taper/lighter before the half.

I have 10-12 on the schedule today with 8 x 800m repeats. I may resort to Ibuprofen which I never do. My leg is better and I can actually wear pants instead of shorts today but it's still tender and I can feel the blood pooled under the skin. If the speed work is too much I will do tomorrow's 1 hour easy instead and try the speed again tomorrow.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

onemile

jedi - looks like I have 4 more speed workouts before strength starts.

Amik - Hope you feel better.

mdawg - nice job getting the stepmill done. Better to play it safe and listen to your doc.

bagopux -  I've never done hill repeats. I had a plan with them once but I just subbed them for 3k to 5k paced intervals.  Some days it's just harder to hit the paces than others.  Yikes on the 6.66!

Rollcast - I feel like I'm getting used to the plan.  When I first started it was harder than I thought it would be and the first few weeks left me worn down but I'm sort of getting into the rhythm of it and getting some confidence that I'll be recovered in time for the next workout.  I can't say I like it or that I don't dread a lot of my runs though.  But I am feeling better about my ability to complete the plan anyway and hit the prescribed paces for all the workouts Smile

cmb - I bet that feels good to be winding down soon.  Have a good 11 tonight.  I think three weeks after the full is too soon to be fully recovered if you want to race and PR a half.  I would go with 4-6 weeks out instead.

Banshee - hope your run goes okay.

bagopux

banshee -- its called Angle Meter. I have a droid.  Not sure if there's an iOS version.  You just lay the phone on its side and it shows you the angle.  Really, the hardest part is finding a piece of asphalt that is representative of the hill profile.  I found that the road works better than the sidewalk, which has been jostled by roots and whatnot.

onemile, i find hills to be a pretty frustrating part of racing and I've always wanted to focus on them, so this year is my hill year.  hopefully by the fall season i'll have at least made some peace with them.

onemile

I just try to pick flat races. Joking

onemile, i find hills to be a pretty frustrating part of racing and I've always wanted to focus on them, so this year is my hill year.  hopefully by the fall season i'll have at least made some peace with them.

Trail Monster

I'm focusing on hills a lot this season too. I'd try to pick flat races but in PA that pretty much means only running on rail trails which gets pretty boring. DH and I have a goal to kick ass at the Farmer's Inn Half this fall which means getting in really good hill running shape. I've been doing my hill workouts on the treadmill but I want to take them back outside soon. The problem will be finding hills that are worth running without travelling too far since we live along the rail trail. Hopefully I can find an app similar to Bago's so I can find the right hills.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Smashy!!!

CMB, I vote 6 weeks after. 3 seems too soon.

bagopux

I'm focusing on hills a lot this season too. I'd try to pick flat races but in PA that pretty much means only running on rail trails which gets pretty boring. DH and I have a goal to kick ass at the Farmer's Inn Half this fall which means getting in really good hill running shape. I've been doing my hill workouts on the treadmill but I want to take them back outside soon. The problem will be finding hills that are worth running without travelling too far since we live along the rail trail. Hopefully I can find an app similar to Bago's so I can find the right hills.

too funny.  one of the reasons i'm focused on hills right now is because last summer i did the vast majority of my long runs on rail trails.  i don't find it boring, but i think my leg strength did suffer.  in concert with specific hill sets, i am also doing strength/conditioning for legs/core and i've switched my long runs back to my awesome local state park, which is far more hilly.  hopefully it will pay off.

nachosgrande

Cmb - Obviously, everyone recovers at different rates.  Just listen to your body.  I know I could barely run three miles for about a month after my marathon.  For me, something like 6 weeks would be the minimal recovery period before racing again.

Bagopux - Lol.  Sweet tempo this morning you Satanist.

Ami - That's one long shift.  Rest up/get well.

Docket - Good job on the 10 miles.

Jedi - Nice recovery miles.

Like Rollcast, I came very close to trying spin for the first time this morning.  When I arrived at my gym this morning they tried to hand me a free card for their intro spin class.  I ultimately wimped out and went with a basic free weight routine of squats, deadlifts, flat bench and dips.  Threw in a Pfitz core workout too.  The nice thing about running low mileage is that my strength is returning.  Going to try to sneak in 5 miles at lunch today since the weather here has been so beautiful of late.