Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

White Lightning

Cbus/onemile – enjoy your day off

Amik – that totally sucks. What I hated most about long days like that is 1-2 days off after isn't enough to get refreshed before you get back to work

bago – lol. Sounds like a cool app. I have a tool in my garage that does the same thing, may dig that sucker out

Mdawg – seems you are getting close.

Rollcast – Good luck with your intervals tonight. I wouldn't be able to handle a tough spin workout and intervals in the same day, props

cmb – I'd be thinking inside personally.  I vote 6 weeks

Banshee – hope the run goes okay, good luck and don't be afraid to cut it short

Me – SRD but have a Leg & Back workout plus some Yoga tonight with some homework from the Chiro to start strenghtning my ankle. She worked mostly on my lower back and hips again, still having issues stretching them out. Snowing and cold again here but looks to warm up a bit tomorrow

Questions - Does anyone have any troubles with dry feet?  Both of my heels are so dry they are starting to crack and hurt.  Lotion isn't working anymore.  Any recommendations?

Play the Game Hard!

Ball of Fury

Josh:  What's even worse in our case in we don't get days off so I have to be here tomorrow, Friday, and Sunday...oh well, such is life!  Have you tried Eucerin cream?  It's a really thick lotion that some people put on just before bed and then put socks over it.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

mdawg87

Josh:  Try "Cornhuskers Lotion".  It's been around forever.  My Dad spent some time working on the Alaska Pipeline (way up north in Prudhoe Bay) in the 1970s and it was the only thing that helped with dry, cracked skin in that frigid climate.

cmb:  6 weeks.  I think you're risking injury if you try for 3 weeks out.

Banshee:  Gosh I feel for you.  Have you tried Biofreeze or any other topical pain reliever?

Hill running related:  Y'all come on down to Atlanta.  I've got all the hills you can handle.  It's the opposite for me.  I have to drive to find flat areas...and flat is relative in this city...i.e.smaller hills.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

I always have a HM race the weekend after my marathons, oops.  Of course I don't race HMs for PRs so my opinion is irrelevant.  For a PR seeking effort, I would say 3 weeks before you're back to 100%.  Maybe 4 weeks after the marathon might be best?

Question for the donuts:

How soon after the marathon do you wait before running something like a HM?

I'd like to shoot for a sub-1:50 while I still have my marathon fitness, and It looks like I will have two reasonable options - 3 weeks after, and 6 weeks after.  I am a bit worried about not being quite recovered enough to really race 3 weeks after - I ran one 4 weeks after each of my previous marathons and felt fine, but 3 seems to be pushing it.  I know that I really like the race that is 3 weeks after, but I think it might be smarter to wait and have certainty that I'm recovered.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

cmb4314

Josh - one of the best things I've used is Neutrogena Foot Cream.  It's kind of more ointment-like in consistency, you could probably use something like Vaseline just as well.  I slather it on before bed, put on a pair of socks to hold it on, and usually feel a lot better in the morning.  I've been having trouble with my heels cracking on the weekends - I find that being in shoes so much during the work week seems to keep my feet sufficiently moist, but when I'm shoeless at home on the weekends the heat does a number on my skin.

The general consensus on my HM seems to be 6 weeks, which is what I was leaning anyway.  It should be good.  Smaller race, $12 cheaper, and less chance of stupid cold weather.  I'm a bit sad to miss the one in March, but I'm too cheap to pay $62 to jog it for kicks.  Someone a few months back was trying to convince me I'd be ready for the HM in three weeks, but I was leery of that - glad that most agree with me.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

braycon

If I were hoping to PR, I'd wait at least four weeks after the marathon to run a full and six sounds even better.

mdawg, I can't tell you how good the hills of Atlanta sound compared to this arctic chill.  Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Has anyone ever run the Indy 500 Festival Mini-Marathon (half)?  I'm considering that if it isn't already too late to sign up.   Any other great spring options in the Midwest?  I'm inclined to look for half marathons at this point and save the full for the fall (if my buddies can decide whether they prefer Chicago, Marine Corps, or Vegas).

Thanks!

nachosgrande

Been running the hills around my work the past couple of days and I'm loving it.  Another 6 hilly miles today during the lunch hour.  Tomorrow is a rest day for me.

Rollcast – Good luck with your intervals tonight. I wouldn't be able to handle a tough spin workout and intervals in the same day, props

yeah, as the day rolls on I wonder how successful that speed work is going to be. My oldest son has hockey from 7:00pm to 8:00pm so i wont be able to run until 9:00 ish.

Speaking of which, how long are you people giving yourself bewteen intervals? My 4X400 at a 6:58 pace I only took 20-30 seconds and seemed a bit quick.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

nachosgrande

Speaking of which, how long are you people giving yourself bewteen intervals? My 4X400 at a 6:58 pace I only took 20-30 seconds and seemed a bit quick.

If you're trying to target VO2 max I think you need a longer recovery.  I've never run 400's but when I was running 800's during my Pfitz cycle, I'd usually jog 400m as the recovery period before my next 800.  Last time I ran them it was something like 800 in 3:10 (6:20/mi) followed by 400 in 2:40 (10:40/mi).  Again, this was based off the Pfitz 18/55 speed workout recommendations.

Trail Monster

10 miles tonight. 2 mile warm up, 8 miles of half mile hard/half mile easy. Ran the hard halfs at 8:27 pace.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Docket_Rocket

Of the 5, I only ran 3.  Between me being exhausted and my breathing being compromised today, I felt the best option was to cut it short.

You win some, you lose some.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Rusk Runner

Way to play it smart Damaris.

Banshee - nice run for a gal on the mend!

Nachos and Mdawg - Hills aint so bad are they!?  I am like you mdawg, I have to drive to find flat routes, so I just dont run them.

Roll - Calculate 50 to 90% of your 400 time and choose whats most comfortable/effective a rest period for you.  Just remember you want to be able to hold pace through all of your intervals.

cmb - 6 weeks is the smart choice.  More than enough time that you can open your stride up on a few runs without risking injury.

Got my 12 miles done.  9:00 avg pace.  Good headwind on the return 6.  Nice run though.  Had a good time.  SRD tomorrow and then 10 miles with 6 @ tempo on tap for Friday.  20 miles Sunday (this is a peak week for 55 miles).

Happy Running Everyone!

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Rusk Runner

Josh - Have you considered getting a pedicure also?  Yes, I am serious.  No, I have not.  Yet.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Thanks for the interval advice fellas. I am 100% sure I didn't give enough time between 400s last time. It was good but couldn't have sustained that pace at 8x400s with only 20-30 second recovery jogs.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

White Lightning

Josh - Have you considered getting a pedicure also?  Yes, I am serious.  No, I have not.  Yet.

lol, no but I did scrounge up this sponge thing from my sister to scrape the dead skin off instead of peeling it off

Play the Game Hard!