Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Got in 10 @ 8:48 avg. most of my miles were around 8:53, which is prescribed LR pace. But I put in a GHMP mile in the end for a fast finish. That gives me 44 for the week.

Mdawg, happy anniversary! Congrats on 17 years.

Onemile, a 15k sounds great. Just remember McMillan is going to spit out a pretty fast GMP.

Flinders, good luck on your race schedule. How are the legs feeling? BTw, I've been running in the Elixir lately, and I love them. Too bad they're going away. Hopefully the Sayonara is just as good.

Happy running all!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

mdawg87

Good Afternoon!  4.5 TM miles at the gym at a 10 minute mile pace.  I was so happy to do it too!  No issues with the calf.  Maybe a little tight at the end, but that could just be the power of suggestion.  I was really concentrating on how it was doing so it could've been my mind playing tricks on me.

roll:  your neighborhood beer fest sounds eerily like my DH!

bago:  i wouldn't walk under any ladders or cross the path of a black cat if I were you.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Smashy!!!

Docket, Flinders, and anyone else whose run in the Ronin and Elixir,

How do these shoes compare? Is the Ronin that much more low slung than the Elixir? Or could you train in the Ronin?

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Rusk Runner

Belated happy anniversary, mdawg!

Flinders - sounds like a solid plan.

onemile - go for it!

cbus - really happy to see you nailing down so much mileage again!  I would bet it makes you happy too.

21.13 miles in the bank today @ 9:11 avg pace.  That last mile was a doozy as usual (strong uphill then down).  Time for a shower, rest, and coffee.  I am shivering and need to get out of these wet clothes.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Cbus:  Legs seem fine; but then again I took a week off and have only run about 24 miles this week over three runs.  The rolling out of my quads solved the pain issue I was having earlier this month.  I assume it was some facial tightness, but minor enough (or I caught it early enough) that the rolling was sufficient.   I was feeling the distance in the last couple miles today, though.  But it was an "I'm tired" feeling rather than an "I hurt" feeling, likely entirely brought on by my not having run more than 8 miles at a stretch since right before Christmas.

As for the Ronin/Elixir comparison: I can't do daily training in the Ronins, while I could in the Elixir.  You'd need to be a very efficient runner (which I am not) to be able to do daily training in the Ronins. The Elixir is much closer in its build to the Precision than it is to the Ronin.  I use my pair of Ronins for speedwork and hills, and maybe a short (emphasis on short) easy runs off and on.  They are too lightweight for daily training. (Another issue specifically for me with them is that a lot of where I run has gravel on the paths, and there isn't a lot forefoot cushioning in them, so I feel every pebble).  I used my Elixirs for daily training runs and LRs, like I use the Precisions now that I have a pair of them.   I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Mizuno doesn't screw things up. My stable of the Rider/Precision/Ronin works quite well for me.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

DetroitTigerFan

Hope everyone is having a good weekend

bago - wow, that is some story on the dogs.  When i see a dog on my side of the street i sometimes go to the other sidewalk. It's just too risky with owners.  That's interesting about the herding dog too !!

indy - nice workout - it looks like you finished slightly faster/stronger the last 10 miles. Not bad for a 30 degree day with wind ! I've never run that long in that type of weather so thats pretty impressive to me

me - finished my standard weekend 10 miler followed by a 4 miler today.  It's just been cold here - alot of 15-20 degree days with some snow on the ground.  I long for the days of slightly warmer weather to do some speedwork outside.  In the next few weeks i'll be deciding my final running plan for this year.

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Canuck

Hey gang.  Lots of great running going on in here - sorry I haven't posted much this week, but work was pretty busy, so just not as much time.  Raced a 15K today, disappointed with it, I was hoping for a solid sub 1:15, ended up at 1:16:20 - my legs just had no pep in them today, they really felt heavy and tired the whole race.  Cardio felt better, but I just couldn't pick up the pace in the middle miles.  Running about a mile on a muddy trail around Lost Lagoon didn't help the pace much either.  Anyway, it was a course PR by about a minute, so I can't complain too much.  First race of the year.   Some annoying guy drafted off of me for a solid mile and then passed me with 0.3 to go.  Really dude?

Mdawg - congratulations on your anniversary!

Flinders - welcome back.

Damaris - congratulations on finishing another marathon today, you're an animal!

indiana - nice 21 miles!

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

White Lightning

Cbus - Great 10 miles

mdawg - so happy for you, that's fantastic

Indi - nice run, way to finish

zoe - still a PR, great job

DTF - don't worry too much, cold weather will be gone soon

Me - 12 miles @ 9:42, 72% HRR, solid across the board and finished with some extra pep.  Attacked the hills instead of slowing down and handled them just fine.  Slight inner thigh soreness before the start.  I had this on the other side last cycle and went away.  Not sure what i'm going to do tomorrow yet.  Supposed to be cold on Tuesday for my scheduled 8 and if i'm feeling fine tomorrow i'll move them, if not will bang them out on the TM on Tuesday.  Need to go thaw out now

Play the Game Hard!

braycon

Happy Sunday, Donuts!  Agree with Zoe - a lot of great running going on.  Congrats to each of you!

For myself, I actually stepped outside today and ran 8 miles.  Nothing earth-shattering, but the first time I've been outside since returning from the 26.2 @ Disney and my longest run since, as well.  Felt fine and ran it pretty quick - about 8:20's (probably a little hyper to be running outside again).  I actually couldn't find my garmin, so I ran with a regular stop watch.  It was 25 degrees, so not too bad - only the toes were cold.  I love my Inspires, but I need warmer socks running in those things.  Anyway, 30 miles for the week (and only 22 of them indoors...ha!), so working into my "off-season" routine.

Speaking of which, I kind of hid this in a quick post earlier, but would love to get the Donut perspective!  I'm still working on my future race schedule, but I really want to work on improving my marathon.  I probably won't run another marathon until next fall, so I have some time.  I'm interested in how you all approach your running when your not actually training for a race.  Some - like Damaris - are probably always training for a race, but I know others are more in my boat where you only run a marathon once or twice a year and have months where you're not truly in training.  I'm interested in improving - not just maintaining - but not sure the best approach.  Just lots of easy miles?  Mostly easy miles with some speedwork?  Or...?   Anyway, what do you do or what would you suggest?  I'd be interested in everyone's input.  I'm planning to average about 40 - 50 MPW which is, all by itself, a step up over past "off-season" running, where I probably averaged about 25 - 30.  So that wll help, I'm sure, but I'm just wondering how to best take advantage of those miles.  And curiuos what you have done that has really worked for you.  I appreciate your thoughts!

Thanks!

Rusk Runner

Braycon - I would make a nice schedule of the mileage you stated, with lots of easy running.  Add speed work every week or two and pad it on both sides with easy running.  If there are weeks you decide you are going to go longer than 14 or 15, maybe you make the speedwork during that week something more tempo-ish.  You should probably throw some shorter races in there so you dont lose the competitive spirit.  Thats my .02.

Godd to get outside aint it?

Josh - Good run.

DTF - Good run.

Zoe - Cingrats!  (alls fair in love and war?)

Shoutout to Darkstreets for a sub 4!!!

Damris - wazzup!?

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

Hi!  Congrats to Ena on a strong performance.

I finished and that's all I can say about it.  My stomach reflux started at Mile 10 by showing me he didn't like my gel.  Then, at Mile 11.  It calmed down and I continued on but by Mile 17, 18, and 19, I had to stop a lot because I needed to retch.  It happens (not the first time).  I finished 20 minutes slower than I wanted but still a good job considering.

Hope everybody is doing great.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

nachosgrande

docket - congrats on mowing another one down.

everyone else - some great runs posted the last two days!

Swelling returned for me so i took 2 days off.  About to head out for 6-7 miles right now.  Take care donuts.

onemile

Flinders - nice job getting back to the double digits!

Cbus - nice LR pace!  Definitely not planning to plug the 15k into McMillian and use what he spits out as a MP!  More just to get an idea of if I've gotten any faster since October and if not I'll probably adjust my MP to 8:45-8:50 because I know 8:30 is a bit fast.

mdawg - glad your calf held up. Nice job on the 4.5!

indiana - sweet 21 mile run!  way to knock that out.

DTF - nice job on the 10 and 4 and another solid week.

Zoe - sorry your 15k didn't go as well as you hoped.  But a course PR is nice anyway! Any advice for racing a 15k? I am hoping to do my first in 2 weeks.

Josh - nice pace on the 12!

braycon - nice job on the 8. Sounds like indiana has some good advice for you, so I'll just say what he said! Smile

darkstreets - way to go sub-4! Woot!

Damaris - sorry you felt sick during your race but congrats on pushing through to finish it.

nachos - hope your run went okay.

Had a pretty miserable 8 today. Unplowed roads, wind, freezing rain/hail... my jacket was soaked so I gave up after 6 miles and came inside and did the remaining 2 on my treadmill. Ugh.

Sounds like it's a yes to racing the 15k Smile Hope the weather is okay for it!

nachosgrande

onemile - sorry to hear you had such a sucky run.

zoe - nice course pr

me - felt good so i stretched my run out a little.  10mi at 8:57, 65% HRR.  First 10 miler in almost 4 months.

Hi all! I have been away for the last 10 days so will have to read up on several pages to catch up with the discussion.

did some great runs, mostly with my son (26 yo) and will give you a few more details tomorrow.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.