Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

Docket_Rocket

That is scary.  I do get some spikes during my runs but I think mine are more related to asthma.  Now I wonder if I need a stress test.

I had heart rate issues that I noticed on my HRM and took them in to a cardiologist.  They were extremely elevated and "spikey" readings. He gave me a stress test on a treadmill and I was diagnosed with Paroxysmal Atrial Fibrillation.  My cardiologist was a marathon runner and suggested that since I was a runner I have an ablation procedure to get rid of it.  Otherwise he said it could just be controlled with medication, but that would lower my heart rate so much that for all practical purposes I wouldn't be able to run.

it is worth getting checked out, but ideally with a cardiologist who is also a distance runner.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Trail Monster

7 at 9:44 average. This was supposed to be a steady state run but it all felt too easy. I did 2 miles at 10:00, 2 miles at 9:50, 1 mile at 9:40, 1 mile at 9:31 and 1 mile at 9:22. Only at the very end did I start to feel like I was working at a harder than normal effort.

Ill be back for personals after dinner.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Smashy!!!

Thank you CBus...that helps.  One other question:  you only do a 400 meter recovery jog with all the speed intervals, regardless of length.  Are you finding that is long enough to recover from the longer intervals?  I haven't really done much speed work and never on the track so don't really know what to expect.

Ami, yeah, I found that's enough, but thats not to say the workouts are easy. Theyre tough, no doubt about it, and I hate to do them.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Smashy!!!

!

cbus - nice job on the LR! Think I am going to buy some Ronins today.Smile

Wink

Jedi, I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on the Ronin (Flinders: thanks for your thoughts too). Are you going for the 5? Or the 4.

I ran in the 4 once, and I remember thinking they were too narrow underfoot to be used for training. But what I love about the Elixir is that it's got a bit of snap, for a more responsive toe off. The Precision just feels room much like dead fish on my feet. And if the Sayonara is anything like the Precision, then I'm worried it'll feel like dead fish too. That's why I'm wondering about the Ronin for workouts and stuff.

onemile

Ami, yeah, I found that's enough, but thats not to say the workouts are easy. Theyre tough, no doubt about it, and I hate to do them.

+1

bagopux

Testing posting from my phone.
                Testing posting from my phone.

It didn't work Cool

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

nachosgrande

Banshee - Nice job on the run today.  Guess that means you're fitness is ahead of where you thought it was.  Smile

Cbus - Running in the rain does not sound fun.  Good job.

White Lightning

Hope everyone is having a great night.  Quick question about shoes.  I'm looking at the wear on my shoes and on my left shoe the outside heal and the outside of my baby toe is worn right down.  Does this mean i'm under pronating and I need to go to a more neutral shoe?  I was always under the assumption that I was an over pronator but now that i'm watching youtube videos I might have it backwards.  Trying to scrounge up a video camera so I can get a TM shot or someone to hold my iphone.  I've actually never worn a neutral shoe before, always motion control and stability and I fight with ankle, ITB and hip problems everyday.  My normal everyday shoes are flat, I can walk all day in my five fingers and sandals with zero issues.  Thinking of heading down to LRS tomorrow and seeing what they think but they are the ones that put me in the adrenaline.

Bago - I'd try another doc, don't think its something to mess around with

Play the Game Hard!

Docket_Rocket

Yeah, try again!

It didn't work Cool

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I did kickboxing today.  It went well.  My stomach is still not good but we found what caused it.  I'm back on the correct medication and I expect to be back to normal within a week or so.

josh, I'm not sure about your shoes as I am super ignorant on what shows pronation or not.  Hope you get an answer.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Smashy!!!

Hope everyone is having a great night.  Quick question about shoes.  I'm looking at the wear on my shoes and on my left shoe the outside heal and the outside of my baby toe is worn right down.  Does this mean i'm under pronating and I need to go to a more neutral shoe?  I was always under the assumption that I was an over pronator but now that i'm watching youtube videos I might have it backwards.  Trying to scrounge up a video camera so I can get a TM shot or someone to hold my iphone.  I've actually never worn a neutral shoe before, always motion control and stability and I fight with ankle, ITB and hip problems everyday.  My normal everyday shoes are flat, I can walk all day in my five fingers and sandals with zero issues.  Thinking of heading down to LRS tomorrow and seeing what they think but they are the ones that put me in the adrenaline.

Bago - I'd try another doc, don't think its something to mess around with

Josh, actually the wear patterns tell you almost nothing about pronation. The shoe wears down where you create the greatest friction with the ground, and this does not correlate with pronation. Most people, including overpronators, create most friction on the outer part of the foot because of the positioning of the foot at initial contact and toe off. In other words, you can make initial contact on the lateral side of the foot, roll toward the medial side during pronation, and the return to the lateral side at toe off--and you'll see greater wear on the lateral side of te shoe.

Smashy!!!

Another shoe question. Anyone run in Adidas shoes? I know Zoe has the Boston. But has anyone tried the Tempo or Aegis? They seem to have similar properties as the Elixir.

Smashy!!!

Sprinkles, I almost forgot to tell you: I tried Milk n Cookies last night, and I absolutely love it!

Docket_Rocket

I used to run Supernova Sequences but they are too heavy for what you are looking for.

Another shoe question. Anyone run in Adidas shoes? I know Zoe has the Boston. But has anyone tried the Tempo or Aegis? They seem to have similar properties as the Elixir.

Damaris

Fundraising Page