Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

Rusk Runner

Josh - I am not going to venture into trying to analyze your gait as I am not trained or qualified to do so.  I will say however, that according to the people who analyzed my gait, "some pronation is natural and normal, and should not be mistaken by overpronation".  That said, not every LRS employee is a professional at gait analysis either.  What to do?  Maybe do like others have said and try a bunch and see what works?  Could work but, how good is the return policy at your LRS?  Could get expensive (what size shoe do you wear anyway).  Maybe you could try a set of neutral shoes with good inserts?  Sprinkles story really makes you wonder doesnt it?

Onemile - So basically you are running a 4 mile race with rest breaks bracketed with 5 miles of recovery runs.  You should be excited and happy to do this.  I say do the track work tonight, and the easy work outside in the wind.  Roll eyes

Got in a very unmotivated 6 mile recovery run on the belt this morning/evening.  Plan is to run 14 tomorrow with the temps dropping and the winds gusting to 30mph.  Ahhhhh, winter.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

White Lightning

Thanks everyone, i'm tired of losing sleep over this stuff.  My mind is ready for something else to lose sleep over to keep it sharp :-)  Something to remember as well, I went into a stability shoe 50 pounds ago complaining of ITB and ankle pain, but I had just run a HM with a 15 mpw base for only 6 weeks, never ran before.

I think today i'm going to head to a new LRS that i've never been to and see someone new, over an hour away though.  Hoping to bring a couple pairs home and run on the TM and for my 8 GA later today and see if they work.  Size 9 btw.

Getting tired of this weather.  40's two of days ago, -8F today with -35F windchill and 45F in two days.  Days are finally getting longer though, just over 9 hours of sunlight now and already feel the difference

Play the Game Hard!

Thanks everyone, i'm tired of losing sleep over this stuff.  My mind is ready for something else to lose sleep over to keep it sharp :-)  Something to remember as well, I went into a stability shoe 50 pounds ago complaining of ITB and ankle pain, but I had just run a HM with a 15 mpw base for only 6 weeks, never ran before.

I think today i'm going to head to a new LRS that i've never been to and see someone new, over an hour away though.  Hoping to bring a couple pairs home and run on the TM and for my 8 GA later today and see if they work.  Size 9 btw.

Getting tired of this weather.  40's two of days ago, -8F today with -35F windchill and 45F in two days.  Days are finally getting longer though, just over 9 hours of sunlight now and already feel the difference

I am reading Born to run and starting to think that the shoe issue is not as important as the structure and ease of your gait/stride. With that being said, when it comes to the gait analysis, I was told to also take into consideratin the angle at which your ankle is postured at the time your foot strikes ad then rolls sthrough the stride.

Speaking of born to run, has anyone read it? If so have your tried the drink that they talk about?

Me - SRD yesterday. 4.5 today. Spin in the AM (50 min) and 40 tempo tomorrow night.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

i am very impressed with the Brook Launch, but plan to move to less of a heel drop over time. Try them on as a neutral option. I usually run in a size 9 but had to opt for a 9.5 (b/c of toe box) in the Launch.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

I am reading Born to run and starting to think that the shoe issue is not as important as the structure and ease of your gait/stride. With that being said, when it comes to the gait analysis, I was told to also take into consideratin the angle at which your ankle is postured at the time your foot strikes ad then rolls sthrough the stride.

Speaking of born to run, has anyone read it? If so have your tried the drink that they talk about?

Me - SRD yesterday. 4.5 today. Spin in the AM (50 min) and 40 tempo tomorrow night.

I read Born to Run and have no desire to try the drink...BUT I will say that i noticed that as I improved my cadence, I experienced less soreness...if I hurt while running, I increase my cadence consciously so I'm not clunking.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Smashy!!!

hey all,

Got in my Speed workout today, and it SUUUCKKKED! Dude, I hate these workouts. 6X800 w/ 400 recoveries + wu/cd = 8.56 mi. total. Avg. 6:55 for the intervals. Gonna enjoy my rest tomorrow, though the weather is supposed to be warm.

Onemile, I dunno why I get to skip it. But the ladder is not in the Beginner plan. Neither is the 3X1600. (But I'll double check because there is a good chance I just repressed it!) How do you program it into Garmin? I've got a 410, and the Interval workout only allows me to choose one distance for the interval. Do I have to go into the Advanced function?

Sprinkles, I liked the Milk N' Cookies so much that I'm chomping at the bit to crush one this weekend when DW and I have our "date night in."

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

chubacca

Hey everyone, first time posting in this thread, but long-term lurker. Smile

Just to jump in -- Josh, I frequently get diagnosed as an overpronator when running stores do the walking test (probably because I have flexible ankles), but after reading Born to Run I jumped into some Nike Frees, and have been wearing neutral shoes with no issues since. Actually, I tried to wear Mizuno Inspires (moderate stability) a little later on and got knee problems after a week. They went away when I put on neutral shoes again!

If your LRS has a good return policy after a few weeks, I think it's worth trying on shoes with less support to see how they feel.

I'm following the Hansons beginner program and I'm on my second week of strength intervals. I don't love the treadmill, but I don't really have many alternatives on icy winter nights like this one -- and doing them on the indoor track sort of scares me (so many turns!!). Ughhh treadmills.

onemile

Wow, nice pace on the intervals!

I always program my workouts on Garminconnect.com and then click 'Send to Device' and it puts it on the garmin.  It's easier that way. You just go under Plan | Workouts | New Workout.

hey all,

Got in my Speed workout today, and it SUUUCKKKED! Dude, I hate these workouts. 6X800 w/ 400 recoveries + wu/cd = 8.56 mi. total. Avg. 6:55 for the intervals. Gonna enjoy my rest tomorrow, though the weather is supposed to be warm.

Onemile, I dunno why I get to skip it. But the ladder is not in the Beginner plan. Neither is the 3X1600. (But I'll double check because there is a good chance I just repressed it!) How do you program it into Garmin? I've got a 410, and the Interval workout only allows me to choose one distance for the interval. Do I have to go into the Advanced function?

Josh, I am no gait expert, nor have I even played one on TV! it is clear, though, that your right foot toes out all through the stride, while the left foot does not, or very little. I have no idea if this is simply a habit or reflects an ankle injury, or knee or hip condition. I do not know if this is something you can or even should try to "fix", but if so the only idea that comes to mind is different shoes for left and right feet!

Cbus, nice speed workout, and good mileage too.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Canuck

Afternoon all.  Busy at work again this week.  Having to take a couple of URDs after the race on Sunday, my right calf tightness has now led to shin pain in my right leg - feels like shin splints - I've had them before, but of course my mind goes to other, more serious possibilities immediately and I stress myself out.  I think the faster running in the race combined with the tight calves brought it about, as I felt fine on all of my easy runs earlier in the week - had great runs on Thurs/Fri in particular.  I have a previously scheduled chiro appointment tomorrow, so that's good, he can take a look and see what he thinks.

Cbus - why so fast on the intervals?  Is 6:55 your 5K pace?

Josh - holy crap that's cold.

onemile - good luck with the ladder workout, that looks like a doozy.  Given my shin pain I think I might have to eliminate the speed workouts for a few weeks, speed seems to be aggravating my calf issues and leading to other problems, so I'm probably better off just getting the miles in at an easy pace and doing the MP runs.

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

Rusk Runner

Cbus - I do what onemile said except I use Training Center.  I have a 405 so our watches should be basically the same.  I usually just copy a workout, rename it, modify it to suit my needs, and then upload it to the watch.  The workout should show up on advanced workouts on your watch.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Smashy!!!

Zoe, I don't know what my 5k pace is--i've never run one. I was going for 7:08. I guess I can't control my pace well yet. The last two intervals, I was tiring, so i just tried extra hard to keep my effort up, and so they came in a little fast (6:45ish), which brought down the average. I also tend to put in a fast finish at the end of ea interval when my watch starts beeping, which I'm sure brings down each interval time.

Indi and Onemile, thanks for the info. I set up a Garmin connect account. The next step is to set up the ANT on my home cpu. I'm kind of reluctant to learn new technology for some reason. But if I have to do that ladder workout, I'll try and set it up. Once set up, does it stay on the watch?

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

WOW! I ahd no idea you could do that with a Garmin.Smile

Wow, nice pace on the intervals!

I always program my workouts on Garminconnect.com and then click 'Send to Device' and it puts it on the garmin.  It's easier that way. You just go under Plan | Workouts | New Workout.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

nachosgrande

Zoe - Sorry to hear about the leg issues.  Hopefully just shin splints that clear in a couple of days.

Cbus - That's some speedy running.  Not sure I could even race a mile at that pace at this point in time.

onemile

Yeah, it stays on the Garmin (til you delete it I guess). They are under Workouts | Advanced. It's way easier than trying to program it on your watch.

And you should go run a 5k.

Zoe, I don't know what my 5k pace is--i've never run one. I was going for 7:08. I guess I can't control my pace well yet. The last two intervals, I was tiring, so i just tried extra hard to keep my effort up, and so they came in a little fast (6:45ish), which brought down the average. I also tend to put in a fast finish at the end of ea interval when my watch starts beeping, which I'm sure brings down each interval time.

Indi and Onemile, thanks for the info. I set up a Garmin connect account. The next step is to set up the ANT on my home cpu. I'm kind of reluctant to learn new technology for some reason. But if I have to do that ladder workout, I'll try and set it up. Once set up, does it stay on the watch?